HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   have you heard of Jane Tomlinson? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28944)

debski 06-29-2007 11:10 PM

have you heard of Jane Tomlinson?

I have been reading the most uplifting book.
Jane Tomlinson is my hero. She has been living with advanced breast cancer for over a decade (after being given a few months to live). She completed a full ironman whilst on chemotherapy. I know that she was on herceptin. Have you heard of her in the US? You should all google her!

Esther 06-30-2007 01:02 PM

I just googled her, and Wikipedia states that she finished a course of Taxetere in April 2007, and that it was announced Spring of 2007 that she was "now too ill to train for future physical challenges".

Does anyone know more than that? Since she was diagnosed with mets in August 2000, she has been an almost 7 year survivor with mets.

What an inspiring story.

Christine MH-UK 06-30-2007 02:50 PM

I saw her on TV recently

She was overseeing a fundraising run that was named after her in Leeds and was talking to the local news reporters. She looked pretty good, but even my husband could figure out that she was on steroids because her face looked much puffier.

Jane was on the original herceptin trials in the UK and was recently honored by the Queen with a new title, Commander of the British Empire.

I know people who know her and apparently she is very nice and unassuming.

I am sorry to hear that she is not well enough to train, although impressed that she has done so well for so long without running out of drugs yet.

debski 07-01-2007 01:13 PM

I have read her two books

Her books are great- just what you need to give you hope. She is a real character. I think I'd better start running!

StephN 07-01-2007 11:28 PM

Hi -
Is Jane t. the English woman who was bicycling across the United States with a small group last year? I think I read a couple of her hubby's posts on their web site that someone had directed me toward. She seemed to just barely make it to New York City and her hubby was disappointed in the small turnout that greeted them, if memory serves (last year I had 2 surgeries on my head and I am not sure of a LOT of things!).

Glad to hear she is still alive and doing her "thing" as it seemed she might be progressing further into stage IV last year.

Christine MH-UK 09-04-2007 11:53 AM

7 years and £1.75 million raised later, the luck ran out

Well, my husband just heard on the news that Jane Tomlinson passed away.

Still, she live about seven years to the day after she was diagnosed with secondaries to the fullest, raising £1.75 million (nearly $3.5 million) for charity in the meantime. She certainly did get busy living.

Here is the link to her BBC obituary:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/6978667.stm

dorinda 09-04-2007 12:38 PM

What A Warrior. What Type Of Bc Did She Have? Dorinda

tricia keegan 09-04-2007 01:06 PM

Christine I too just saw this on the BBC an hour ago. I was so sorry to hear she had passed but she made her life so full since dx and enjoyed it to the full.
May she rest in peace..

Christine MH-UK 09-04-2007 02:22 PM

Hi Dorinda,
She was definitely her2 positive because one of the reasons she lived a lot longer than expected was that she got on the herceptin trial for secondaries and had a very good response. Unfortunately, some people (including some who should have known better) said that her living so long was proof that she wasn't really terminal in the first place. I hope that she rests in peace.

Cancer Research UK has named its Leeds laboratory after her.

Sherryg683 09-04-2007 03:47 PM

Does anyone know where her mets were? Just wondering, as it didn't say in the article..sherry

lexigirl 09-04-2007 04:11 PM

SHe was one tough lady. I am sorry that she has passed on and left her family behind. My prayers are with her husband and children.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi