HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Thoughts on a retreat? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64412)

jra40 01-17-2016 04:42 AM

Thoughts on a retreat?

I love this board and it has helped me immensely through my journey. I got to thinking the other day after some of our recent losses and the struggles we are all going through and thought, "Woildn't it be great to try & get a weekend retreat together for those who would like to meet eacother in person, talk with one another face to face & do some things on the retreat to make us laugh, relax, or just be ourselves with fellow women experiencing the same struggles?"

Any thoughts on this? Good idea or not? I saw that post of Leigh honoring Jessica and there was a picture of her with a group of our HER2 members at a conference & it was nice to see them connected together. If there is enough interest, I'd explore with any other vounteers on how we can get it together.

Jessica

MaineRottweilers 01-17-2016 03:27 PM

Re: Thoughts on a retreat?

I think it would be a great idea.

spiritualabundance 01-18-2016 08:34 AM

I'm in and I'm available to help do some searching for a location or to see if we can get some sponsors or grants to make this happen. Love the idea. I'm new to the board and new to this life that will now never end until it simply does. You ladies, especially you two ^^^ have so much strength. I'd love to meet you and share and hear stories. Let me know what I can do Jessica. What location is everyone from? I'm in Florida. You?

SoCalGal 01-18-2016 10:42 AM

I can't even get (8) girlfriends, who live in the same city, to find a date that works for all!!

I think that our best bet is to meet somewhere surrounding a BR Cancer conference or event; the big ones usually have scholarships and financial aid available.

Actually, the most likely hosts would be Genentech, in SF, CA. Perhaps they could host us as part of the "value of online communities, what works what doesn't, or online support, how it effects moral" project, or some other heading so they could defer their costs to further research.

Or maybe they just want to celebrate us! I've participated on a patient advocate panel, a few years back, and I can say Genentech KNOWS how to throw a party :) They were superb hosts, and it was an amazing experience. Maybe we can be asked to come up and meet the researchers, tour the facility, something like that. At one time or another, we were all on Herceptin, many still are, and they also make Perjeta & Avastin.

thinkpositive 01-18-2016 11:45 AM

I think it is a great idea. I'd love to meet all of you face to face.

Soccermom 01-18-2016 06:33 PM

Brilliant idea(s)! I'm in!

europa 01-18-2016 07:38 PM

I am sooooo in!!!!! I love this, what a brilliant idea

Soccermom 01-18-2016 11:11 PM

I've an idea!! San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium Dec.2016 with a bit of help from Genentech? We are their "kids",after all��

Or ASCO?
https://www.emedevents.com/conferenc...oncology-19841

Hugs to one and all❤️

JillaryJill 01-19-2016 07:00 AM

Hi,
I think this is a great idea. I am going to private message you with my idea!

jra40 01-19-2016 07:27 AM

So I just got on the board today, was feeling down since I thought no one was interested (I usually get email notifications when someone replies to my thread) and BOOM, I went on my thread and was so happy to see everyone's interest!! I like the Breast Cancer Symposium idea and Jill just private messaged me about a possible lake house retreat!

I'm working on this, I was telling my sister-in-law about it over the weekend that I need to do something, Karen was a big loss for me, not that everyone else on this board has been, but she was the first one I connected with and I so wished we met face to face. We need to meet, laugh, cry, bitch, moan, or whatever we want to do - WE NEED THIS!!!

Soccermom 01-19-2016 08:41 AM

Who is our Genentech point person? Just thinking they may agree to pitch in financially on this endeavor?
Hugs,
Marcia

valleygirl 01-19-2016 03:04 PM

Great idea!!!!!

Pat94 01-19-2016 06:30 PM

Would love to make it to San Antonio December 6-10, 2016 for the Breast Cancer Symposium.

roz123 01-21-2016 11:13 AM

just logged on after much time off the site...so sorry to be absent
this would be awesome - but I'm in Canada !

Lisalou 01-21-2016 11:39 AM

Love the idea, timing and location may be a determiner for many

teresamd0906 01-21-2016 01:25 PM

Count me in - would be great to be in the company of those that understand our journey!

jra40 02-03-2016 06:20 AM

Hi Ladies - Just wanted to bump this thread up in case you did not see my new thread on finding a retreat location. One of our sisters on this board is graciously providing us her lake house for our retreat!

The general information is as follows. August 19,20,21,22. The 19th and 22nd can be travel days.
A well appointed 5 bedroom lake home in Illinois located 3 miles from the Wisconsin border.
Food and beverage will be provided but kitchen help is welcome!
Closest airports, Ohare, Madison or Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Rockford, Illinois.
Things to do…walks around the lake, swimming, boating, Frisbee golf, foosball, table pool, sitting by the fire pit...and just hanging out with each other!

PM me if you are seriously interested and we will reserve your spot.

thinkpositive 02-03-2016 08:42 AM

I'm in and can certainly help in the kitchen or with anything else you may need.