HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   No new mets; slight progression in exisiting ones (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59523)

Mtngrl 11-14-2013 08:04 AM

No new mets; slight progression in exisiting ones

Hello friends,

I haven't seen my PET scan report from yesterday, but my oncologist gave me the "highlights" over the phone. I'll go see her next Thursday to look at the images and talk about changing treatment.

She said there's increased metabolic activity in my lower left lung, my one spine met, and the original tumor, but it's not dramatic. The tumor isn't bigger, just more avid. The area in the lung increased from 2 cm to 3 cm.

Does anyone have comparable experience or insights? What seems to be the best thing to do next? I've never had much cancer burden, but I also haven't had much time at NED.

Vicky 11-14-2013 11:49 AM

Re: No new mets; slight progression in exisiting ones

I'm just completing 3 weeks of radiation to my lung tumors, and to a lymph node under my arm. Its been doable and we won't be able to scan and know for sure for awhile, but my tumor markers are nearing the normal level for the first time in almost 3 years, and will have scans in a couple of months. In the meantime its back to Tykerb and Herceptin.

I didn't know radiation was even something that could be done to the lungs- but it helped with my spinal met and my back has been clear ever since.

I pray you will find either the right drug combo or perhaps research radiation options! All the best to you!

Mtngrl 11-14-2013 05:37 PM

Vicky,

Thank you. That's good information.

Amy

'lizbeth 11-14-2013 08:27 PM

Amy,

I don't have any advice. Just want to pipe up and wish you success in determining the next step.

KsGal 11-14-2013 09:05 PM

I dont have anything to contribute medically either, but just wanted to say Im grateful that there were no dramatic changes in your scan, and Im praying God guides your physicians in making good choices with your treatment. I know those scans are all so confusing. If in doubt, don't forget getting a second opinion is always an option. Big Hugs! God Bless.

Pray 11-14-2013 09:11 PM

Just. Want you to know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. His peace.

tricia keegan 11-15-2013 03:34 PM

No advice sadly but just wanted to send good wishes to you Amy.

Jackie07 11-17-2013 08:40 PM

Amy,

Perhaps you can go back to the generic form of weekly Herceptin (trastuzumab) plus xeloda (capecitabine)?

Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2013 Jun;40(6):773-6.
[Successful ventilator weaning by trastuzumab in a HER2-positive breast cancer patient with multiple lung metastases].
[Article in Japanese]
Matsuda T, Fujita H, Kunimoto Y, Hosono M, Kimura T, Hayashi T, Maeda T, Yamakawa J, Maeda N, Mizumoto T, Maruyama S, Uenaka Y, Ogino K.
Source
Dept. of Surgery, Seirei Mikatahara General Hospital, Japan.
Abstract
We report a case of breast cancer with severe respiratory dysfunction due to multiple lung metastases, which was recovered by treatment with weekly trastuzumab administration. A 47-year-old woman with breast cancer had received a folk remedy from a general practitioner for 4 years. However, she was delivered to a hospital because of severe dyspnea, and intubation was found to be needed and performed. She was diagnosed with left breast cancer with skin and pleural wall invasion, and multiple lung metastases. Pathological examination showed invasive ductal carcinoma which was ER-postive, PgR-negative, and HER2-postive. After transfer to our hospital, treatment with trastuzumab(4mg/kg/weekly for the first course, and 2 mg/kg/weekly thereafter)was administered. Respiratory function improved gradually, and ventilator weaning was successful at 53 days after trastuzumab administration. CT examination also showed a remarkable reduction of lung and lymph node metastases and pleural effusion. She was discharged from our hospital 80 days after treatment, and her treatment with trastuzumab and capecitabine has been ongoing at an outpatient clinic.

Bunty 11-18-2013 10:38 PM

Amy, sorry to read that there is some new action, however, it's true that your load is still low which is good.

Reading the posts here there is some useful information, such as the radiation to the lung mets (I had no idea), and then the post from Jackie here.

Your mets behave a bit like mine do (see signature). I had success again with abraxane, so that's a thought, however, of course, it's the hair loss etc that has to be considered.

Keep us posted on updates Amy.

Marie x

norkdo 11-19-2013 08:20 AM

Amy, that is the last thing that should be happening. I am so sorry about this. Quick! Somebody with good advice!!! Amy: pls fix this!!! I will be praying for you Amy, my friend.
Nora