HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   joint pain coomon with herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47966)

candlegranny 12-12-2010 08:47 AM

joint pain coomon with herceptin

I have finished all my treatments except for my 12 months of herceptin, I will be finished with that June '10. this past week my arm with the lymphedema in it is sore to raise up or use in some ways. my other arm is sore too. I have noticed my butt-bones hut too, not on hip sides but right where i sit.
the doctor told me my treatment worked and i was in remission. I just wonder about the pain i am having; has anyone else experienced this or could it be that herceptin has nothing to do with it? i have been on herceptin alone since july 28, and 4 treatments with taxotere before that. thought maybe i just slept on it wrong but it has been like this a couple of days. I wanted ask and see if others experienced this. thanks! Bonita

WolverineFan 12-12-2010 09:00 AM

Re: joint pain coomon with herceptin

Hi Candlegranny,

I had a lot of joint pain after completing chemo and continuing with Herceptin, but I believe mine was caused from starting the Femara and not continuing on with Herceptin. I don't know if you started on an AI after finishing your chemo, but if you did then I would bet that is what is causing your joint pain, as I know many people on this board have experienced joint pains while taking AI's. However, it does get better the longer you are on it.

Hope that helps, and by the way, I love your Elizabeth Edwards quote. Very powerful, and may she rest in peace.

Hayley

Mary L 12-12-2010 09:01 AM

Hi Bonita, I never experienced pain like that. My pains were in my hands and feet. Taxotere was hard on me and I didn't get the last 2 infusions. I think we all react differenty to certain chemos. I think you need to discuss this with your onc and tell him you need some answers. Best wishes. Mary L

candlegranny 12-12-2010 09:19 AM

thanks I will call their office tuesday if still feeling this. I have herceptin again on the 20th but only to see my nurse. Doctor is in january and he says then we will do a Pet scan and CT scan. Maybe that is his way of followup with the scans, not sure I guess i really need to corner him with some of these questions when i see him. I have not had AI's i just had 8 chemo treatments and continuing on herceptin for the year. The taxotere was harder for me than the first set of treatments but still bearable.

Sandra in GA 12-12-2010 10:26 AM

Candlegranny,

It looks like our diagnosises and treatment plans are very similar. I am just ahead of you. I also had a great deal of joint pain, but I do have osteo arthritis also. It seemed that when I was just taking the Herceptin and lapatinib, I had a lot of muscle cramps. Your Taxerene is very similar to the Taxol I had and boy did that drug do a number on me. I had aches and pains, numbness in both feet, low red blood count that I had to have transfusions for, and who knows what else. Now lthat you are just on Herceptin, your aches and pains should gradually get better. I still have numbness in the toes on my right foot and have decided that this may not get better. In Feb it will be two years since I finished that stuff. So this isn't too bad.

My onc did order scans at about the same time you are having yours. I am sure yours will be fine. I just had a return visit this week and got excellent reports on scans, blood work, and tumor markers. The best thing is I don't have to see him for six months. That was music to my ears.

Please remember that you are finished with the worst part of your treatment and when you get all finished, you will be surprised at how strong and wonderful you will feel. It will take a little time, but you will!

Sandra