HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Abraxine -anyone with good results? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60506)

evlin75 03-12-2014 09:48 PM

Abraxine -anyone with good results?

Susan has been on weekly treatments since December 2013. If anyone here has had good results, how many treatments were needed? Her markers are coming down and she is scheduled for a PET soon, but she is a bit depressed -losing hair eyelashes, eyebrows.
Thanks for any input.

Ev

Bunty 03-13-2014 07:35 AM

Re: Abraxine -anyone with good results?

I've had two separate rounds of Abraxane. The first time I had it for about 5 months (2 weeks on, one week off). I had excellent results with the significant reduction of a liver tumour (see my signature). Because it worked so well, my onc decided to give it another go when my liver tumour increased in size - about 5 months of treatment. Again I had a good response - not as good as first time, but still good. Although you do lose hair, it's quite a tolerable chemo as it's delivered in a safer way.

On both occasions I stopped taking it when it seemed to have worked as well as it was going to.

Where is Susan's disease?

Marie

evlin75 03-13-2014 08:25 AM

Hi Marie,
I tried to reply but my message disappeared. I will try again.
Susan first had bone mets to her hip. Later to her cerebellum. Had surgical removal of a tennis ball sized growth followed by WBR.
Later it went to her spine with leptomeningeal which she is treating using ommaya injections.(Herceptin)
Next she began having very painful, warm to the touch enlarged clavicle lymph nodes almost ready to break through the skin. Markers going up.
She is getting weekly treatments of the Abraxine with having to travel quite a ways each week. Just hoping she could get a breather since the nodes have receded and her markers are going down.
Thanks very much.

Ev

yanyan 03-13-2014 10:53 AM

I'm on reduced dose abraxane with gemzar, herceptin and tykerb. 2 weeks on 1 week off. My hair fell out in 3 days on week 3. I have had 2 cycles and my skin mets seem to be responding. I usually have abdominal pain with abraxane the first 2 days but it's manageable with very light eating the day before and 2 days after treatment.

With gemzar I was having problems with low platelets and since I started taking wheatgrass powder drink they have amazingly stayed up to my surprise!!

My doctors thinks this is a very effective drug and they have had several patients with excellent response. Good luck !

Cat 03-13-2014 06:20 PM

I had abraxane for a year with good response. I had hair loss, minor nausea and some neuropathy but nothing that kept me from being active. Generally felt good.
Good luck, Cathy