HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   After Chemo how long does it stay in system (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58643)

linn65 07-23-2013 12:40 PM

After Chemo how long does it stay in system

I was just wondering or thinking I had my masectomy 3 weeks to the day after my chemo was finished. If Chemo stays in your system for so long and even though your path from the masectomy says certain things about your cancer. With chemo still in your system is it still working on any cancer cells that are on the loose and running around your blood stream?

Just a lot of thoughts going through my head, and I have a doctor's appt on August 5th. I am trying to make sure I am prepared to ask him anything I need to know or should know. For example, I never noticed until this last week that I have a 5.5 CM cyst or something on my Ovary and it was never mentioned to me before.

I haven't looked at my pathology report since December, but I suppose preparing for this last doctor's appt with BC doctor for another 6 months I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything to ask him.

Even thinking about the tumors on my right side, and I read last night that if they are certain types of tumors then they have a higher risk of developing into BC.

I guess you can tell I only have two more herceptin's left and I am feeling a little fearful.

tricia keegan 07-23-2013 01:28 PM

Re: After Chemo how long does it stay in system

Hi Linn,

I can't really answer your questions other to say that I think we all felt a little vulnerable finishing Herceptin which is normal, I found the longer out we are the more confident we become and it helped me to know my Onc would order any scans or tests needed if I had a n ongoing symptom.

What worked for me was to simply assume the chemo etc had done its job and now I had to get on and do mine which was living, and finding this obscure new normal I read about! :)
Try not to dwell too much on all this, you've done all you can and IF the worst happens you'll deal it with it then as you did now, but worrying too much is allowing the cancer to take over and win I think, try to go forward with confidence and stick to reputable sites is researching!

Becky 07-23-2013 02:48 PM

Chemo does not last long in your system. It depends on the drug but it is usually gone in 24-48 hours. Herceptin does hang around long. When you get your last infusion, a tiny itty bitty bit is around for months. The half life of Herceptin is 25 days so half is gone in 25 days and so on and so on.

SoCalGal 07-23-2013 06:20 PM

My best advice--
1. ACT AS IF. Meaning, act as if you are cured, dis-ease free, and healthy! This will give you the best quality of life.
2. LIMIT WORRY TIME - meaning use self control and stop the constant head chatter everyday at 4:00PM. This will give you the best quality of life.
3. TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF - this means exercise, eating healthy, and finding things that make you happy.

In my opinion (as Queen of the Universe), there is no point in surviving cancer or any disease if you are not going to ENJOY your life, at least most of the time. You don't need to be a Pollyanna (overly cheerful), you don't need to suddenly find meaning and purpose in everything, but I encourage (note the word courage) you to move forward with confidence and refrain from constant worrying and thinking about cancer. It's taken up enough of your time - you are being protected by Tamoxifen and whatever healthy lifestyle you practice.

Be diligent but don't obsess - that is my best advice to you!!

SusanN 07-23-2013 10:34 PM

Love it SoCalGal!! AKA..."Queen of the Universe" :)

Very Solid Advice...1, 2 & 3...!!!

sarah 07-23-2013 11:30 PM

Thanks Becky for this info and thanks SoCalGal for the good thoughts.
sarah

linn65 08-02-2013 10:30 AM

Pollyanna (overly cheerful), you don't need to suddenly find meaning and purpose in everything, but I encourage (note the word courage) you to move forward with confidence.

BUT SOCAL I want to be pollyanna (I was more like that before this BC believe it or not)....And Dangit I want to find the meaning and purpose of life!! I want some EPHIANEY'S!!! AH, AH MOMENTS, THE LIGHT BULB JUST WENT ON MOMENTS....:)

Ms. Queen of the Universe your advise was astounding!! :)

starwishn2 08-02-2013 06:45 PM

I have one - yes ONE - Herceptin treatment left and I've been feeling (and worrying) like Linn65. I appreciate all the excellent advice and thoughts as well!

Thanks everyone!
Jeri

SusanN 08-03-2013 12:34 PM

Yay Jeri!! One more!! How are you feeling...as to side effects...?? I'll begin my Herceptin alone August 12th...perhaps I should've looked for this on another thread...:(
Thanks...!! :)