HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Double mastectomy tomorrow...starting to stress :( (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61329)

crb 06-19-2014 07:25 AM

Double mastectomy tomorrow...starting to stress :(

Tomorrow is the day and I'm really starting to freak out. I don't know why - everyone says the sx is easier than the chemo, and I managed that pretty well (didn't miss a day of work, went on 2 road trips, and 2 out of state trips).

I am second guessing the double decision and second guessing the PS. Tues she started talking about expanders and radiation, when I have never been scheduled for radiation and we had an hour long conversation about immediate reconstruction at our first visit. I just don't like not knowing exactly what to expect and worrying about getting a surprise when I wake up (ie expanders)...

I also have a list a mile long of things I wanted to get done ahead of time and I have a full day at work. Not sure how to shake this uneasiness, sadness, and anxiety I'm feeling right now :(

snolan 06-19-2014 07:49 AM

Re: Double mastectomy tomorrow...starting to stress :(

Have faith everything will work out. My PS would make mistakes like that even would call me late at night to correct himself. His medical assistant is the one that keeps him on schedule with what he is doing. During the pre-op she should go over everything that is going to be done so you can get on the same page. Look forward to getting on the road to recovery and getting past one more stage in this journey. Hope all goes well.
Suzanne

Nurse4u2day 06-19-2014 08:57 AM

Crb,
I agree with Suzanne in the sense that some times these doctors mis speak and it makes us nervous. Prior to my surgery my plastic surgeons PA said to me after phase 1 of this reconstruction ( ie expanders) phase 2 will be easy! I looked at him and said what do you mean by phase 2 ? He said when we do your exchange for implants. I said ummm No DR. Bates at Stanford is doing the Diep.
So yes they do get mixed up. And you will meet with all the Doctors in pre op and ask ask ask all questions . As for doing the double mastectomy I'm not going to lie after I woke up it wasn't to bad but 4 hours later they tried to sit me up and it was the worse pain of my life, I was in sobbing tears. They then set me up on a morphine drip and I was fine. I am post mastectomy 8 days and although still on some pain Meds I am doing much better. My left breast had a small 8 mm cancer left and the good breast right no cancer. I am very happy I did both. Any questions feel free to message me.
Tammy

tricia keegan 06-19-2014 02:44 PM

If you're not certain don't go ahead unless you feel at ease with your decision, once done it cannot be undone and a few weeks delay while researching won't make any difference but don't be rail roaded into something you're not sure of.

crb 06-19-2014 08:20 PM

Thanks Suzanne & Tammy - I'm comfortable that the breast surgeon has it all together! I love her and know I'm in good hands. I'm thinking the PS just didn't look at her notes...and they did mention the morphine drip right off the bat, along with other pain meds to take until they are OK with me taking Ibuprofen.

Tricia- not really second guessing everything, just really nervous. Can't believe that the day is actually here and it is really ME that is going under the knife. All along it has seemed like it was happening to someone else in my mind. I have kept myself super busy over the last 6 months so I haven't had time to stop and think about what is happening.

Just wish I could ease my upset tummy - I was planning on eating until midnight ;)

BonnieR 06-19-2014 09:32 PM

I am not comfortable with all this talk of doctors making inaccurate statements! You need to be absolutely sure everyone is on the same page before you get into pre op and the ball starts rolling. Have someone with you. Be sure your decisions are in writing and the doctors have signed off on it. Never, ever take anything for granted!
You are in charge of this show and you should take as long as you need to be sure it's running as planned
Why are you having second thoughts about the double mastectomy? Try to look at the reasons you came to that decision. Remember the logic that went into it. I doubt it was spur of the moment! I expect you are very stressed right now. I remember the feeling well. And I am really good at second guessing myself. So I just had to keep remembering WHY I chose the options I did. The ones I could live with, without regret
But please be sure you and your docs, especially the PS, are on the same page
Keep the fsith

Jennliza 06-20-2014 12:24 PM

I am 42yrs...went in for routine mammo...and found Microcalcifications on 4/12/14...had biopsy and MRI...and all came back as High Grade 3 DCIS. I decided for a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction on 5/20/14. Well, I will say my experience was VERY painful. According to my docs the amount of pain was unusual. However, my right breast (either tissue expander or port..culture showed contaminants) was infected...and was on antibiotics for over 3 weeks. Also my tissue expander were expanded when I awoke...so not much shock. I was very flat chested, so actually woke up bigger than what I went in with...
I am not going to sugar coat it....tissue expanders are not comfortable...but I there isnt any other option for me....I want breasts when this is all done. I will finally have my first expansion since surgery next week.
Oh...and as you can guess since I am on this site...my final pathology indicated IDC .6cm as well as DCIS. I am ER+ (90%), PR+ (60%) and HER2 + (was equivocal with 1st test,then positive on FISH). So next up after my Egg Retrieval is at least 6 yrs of treatment...TCH....then Tamoxifen...to think I went into surgery thinking...that was it for me....HA!!!!

Nurse4u2day 06-20-2014 02:07 PM

My biggest problem is the fear of these ports getting pulled out. It makes me afraid to do much of anything . But yea there is no doubt some pain. Im trying to decrease how many times a day I take the pain meds( 9 days post op mastectomy with expanders) . Down to Percocet 5/325 two tabs twice daily. And lots of naps lol. Never slept this much during chemo

crb 06-23-2014 07:14 AM

Thanks for the responses ladies! I got home from hospital last night and I am so relieved and happy this is all over :) Feeling pretty good and I assume that resting and taking it easy is going to be the hardest part of all this....aside from the darn drains ;)

Lisalou 06-23-2014 11:47 AM

Glad to hear you are home and surgery went well. Yes take it easy! I had increased fluid from doing too much, because I felt pretty good, drains aside. So be gentle and let people wait on you! Happy Healing!