HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Post Femara and hair loss (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55944)

harrie 09-19-2012 11:36 PM

Post Femara and hair loss

I noticed since I stopped Femara, I am not losing as much hair. It is probably normal hair loss now. :)

Laurel 09-21-2012 06:29 PM

Re: Post Femara and hair loss

Harrie,

What is life like post-femara? I have another year and my knees are killing me!

Jean 09-22-2012 12:13 AM

Oh dear one...hair loss or not...you are beautiful.

Hugs,
Jean

harrie 09-22-2012 01:03 AM

Ahhh Jean, sweet as ever..... :)

Laurel, well to tell you the truth, ever since I switched from Arimidex to Femara, I had hardly any side effects if any. So being post-femara, I didn't notice hardly any change except it seemed I loss less hair when I washed it.

karen z 09-28-2012 09:37 AM

Harrie,
Glad you are feeling good !

v-ness 10-09-2012 07:59 PM

harrie - how much hair did you lose on Femara and was it gradual or rather sudden? i had to can Arimidex because of a multitude of side effects. now i am on Femara and i was cruising along pretty well with just the standard bone pain when i noticed thinned hair to my touch on the crown of my skull. i asked two people to look and they verified it for me. i have really thick curls everywhere else, and yet there it is straight and about half the hair i had 2 months ago. i fear that if this is how much hair i've lost this fast... what will happen in 3 yrs on this stuff? someone said to me "well we have no choice", but i beg to differ. it's very upsetting to lose your hair and go bald on chemo. you get used to it, but still.... and then you slowly get your hair back. i had 2 uneventful years on tamoxifen and then had to start these AI's, being post-menopausal thanks to a complete hysterectomy. i wonder and wish i could just go back on tamoxifen, the devil i already know.

anyway, i would love to hear about the experiences of others on femara with their hair and how you dealt with it. did you take Biotin, other supplements, use Rogaine? anything. thank you! valerie

harrie 10-09-2012 11:23 PM

Valerie, I had medium thickness of hair to start out with. I didn't really notice hair loss when looking in the mirror and no one ever mentioned that it looked thinner. The most noticeable sign of hair loss was in the shower drain catch after washing my hair. It just looked like so much and now that I am post-Femara, I see less hair in the shower. I think curely hair shows less thinning also. I also used Nioxin shampoo and conditioner because that is known to help the hair follicle at the base of the roots.

dberg 10-10-2012 06:35 PM

I think there are a few of us asking about post AIs, femara, or otherwise. I recently finished my 5 years of arimidex and wonder about side effects or even positive effects. So far I haven't heard much. SURELY there are more of us out there.

harrie 10-10-2012 11:01 PM

To tell you the truth, I did not have many significant side effects from while on Femara. ( I did have a lot of side effects from Arimidex, so I switched) So when I went off the Femara, I hardly noticed much of anything except less hair in the drain after I washed it. I might have had some light joint stiffness during Femara, but if i did it was very minimal. After Femara, no joint stiffness at all.