HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Still around and Kicking! Evista Question (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65801)

sassy 01-14-2017 03:51 PM

Still around and Kicking! Evista Question

Sorry I have been quiet of late, I look in, but have not posted much. I'm enjoying life with my new titanium legs!

Next month I will celebrate 12 years NED from Stage III, Triple Positive. It is fantastic to see all the double digit survivors on the site.

I recently began Evista (Raloxifene) and am wondering if anyone has experience with this drug and possible side effects.

My best to all of you!

Melissa 01-15-2017 09:25 AM

Re: Still around and Kicking! Evista Question

Congratulations Sassy!
You and many others here have been an inspiration to me.

On this board there are many overcoming and enduring, they are Heros and you're one of them!

I have no information on evista but will ask more questions about the drug.

To a long, happy life!
Melissa

tricia keegan 01-15-2017 01:50 PM

Many congrats Sassy and I'll be catching up with you in the summer!:) All I know about Raloxifene is that it's great for bones so sorry I can't help with that but delighted with your good news.:)

Mtngrl 01-15-2017 04:01 PM

Thanks for stopping in with your good news, Sassy!

All the best,
Amy

MaineRottweilers 01-15-2017 05:59 PM

Congratulations, Rhonda! I'm so glad you stopped in. I'm sorry I do not have any experience with the drugs you mentioned.

donocco 01-15-2017 10:42 PM

Rhonda

I remember researching Evista many years ago. Im sure you realize Tamoxifen is being used for breast cancer prevention. Im going now by memory but as far as I know Evista = Tamoxifen minus one action. Evista doesnt increase the risk of uterine cancer like Tamoxifen does. If Tamoxifen prevents breast cancer, Evista SHOULD and with less risk.
This is theoretical Im not aware of clinical studies with Evista as a preventitive.

Paul

tricia keegan 01-16-2017 01:15 PM

I think I remember reading that this med does reduce the risk of breastcancer but in those that have never been diagnosed but some Onc's prescribe it for patients who are unable to take Tamox or have bad bone loss.

Gerri 01-17-2017 12:58 PM

Hi Sassy,

Nice to see you still around and kicking with your new titanium legs! I just passed my 11 year mark in December and still NED.

I have been on Evista for almost 5 years now with no side effects. Having said that, I also tolerated Tamxifen and Femara well. My onc took me off of Femara because he was concerned about my bone denisty. I had been dx'd with osteopenia several years prior and had just undergone two total knee replacement surgeries in 2011. He felt that Evista (like Tamoxifen) would possibly strenghten my bones. I am happy to report that my DEXA in February of last year showed my bone denisty in the normal range.

I also read that Evista is prescribed for prevention of bc in high risk patients who do not have a history of bc. My onc feels there is a good chance it may also prevent recurrence even though he does not know of any studies that support this theory. I'm hoping it does offer some level of protection.

I hope this is an easy drug for you to tolerate. Wishing you all the best.

Gerri

karen z 01-22-2017 10:54 AM

Hi Sassy Rhonda,

So glad for the update. You sound good (and look good) and I am so happy you are at 12 years out. I love your beautiful pic.

I am doing all right. I finally (!) retired from my university on Dec. 1st. I know find myself in the world of fixing up the house to put on the market and looking for an apartment around here for one year while my daughter takes a gap year (she graduates form Ohio Wesleyan this May and will take a gap year before applying to law schools). I am good and (if all goes well) will hit the 12 year mark in about four months. Love, K