HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Supplements/diet changes to prevent recurrence (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61866)

KathyT 09-22-2014 02:04 PM

Supplements/diet changes to prevent recurrence

I have completed chemo, double mastectomy and radiation. Now I am on the road to "recovery" versus "survival". I am looking in to taking supplements and changing my diet to prevent recurrence. Does anyone else take supplements that they have heard help in the prevention of cancer coming back? I have recently heard of having 2-3 peaches a day can decrease the size of tumor and prevents recurrence. I have also heard of Omega3 and Tumeric, not sure dosage though. I have tried to research it but I can't find the dose??
I want to do everything I can to prevent recurrence!!
Thanks in advance for your help:)

tricia keegan 09-22-2014 04:02 PM

Re: Supplements/diet changes to prevent recurrence

Kathy many people here take supplements and can advise you, personally I think a healthy diet and everything in moderation is the key and thats what I've been doing and doubt supplements can prevent cancer.

europa 09-22-2014 06:38 PM

I take certain ones. I see a dietician once to twice a month but run all my supplements by my oncologist. You should do the same. Here's my run down:
Vitamin D3 in liquid form
Potent vitamin c
Turmeric with pepper
Biotin
Complex vitamin B
B 12
Enzymes
Probiotic
Propolis
Aloe (the one with the leaf, not just the goo)

I also take metformin as I'm on a trial for it and tamoxifen.

I workout with a trainer once a week and have completely changed how I eat. I try to keep my diet as alkaline as I can.

thinkpositive 09-23-2014 07:16 AM

I would suggest reading the book "Anti cancer a new way of life" written by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD. It is great book and addresses what you should do to decrease the risk of recurrence. He doesn't focus on taking supplements but rather eating the right foods, mentally putting yourself in a healthy state, and exercising to get your "terrain" healthy to avoid recurrence.

Good luck to you

KDR 09-23-2014 08:56 AM

Hi,
I am seeing an integrative hematologist oncologist in addition to my primary oncologist. I think it is important that the person who is customizing your supplements have these credentials. I would also be sure that the doctor has some long-term experience with IV infusions of amino acids and supplementation as it is important that he or she understand the components (in a scientific way) of chemotherapy and side effects. Also, very important to me personally, is the spiritual approach. A doctor such as this is hard to find, but I have one. He works with people all over the world. So, if you so desire, please contact me via PM for name and information.
My best advice to you,
Love
Karen

sarah 09-23-2014 10:55 AM

Hello,
My oncologist stresses exercise.
sarah

KathyT 09-24-2014 11:11 AM

Thank you all! I have started this week exercising again and need to get in a routine and stick to it:) Just finished radiation September 11th so still trying to get my energy and stamina back. Doing the Race for the Cure here in AZ on Oct. 12th!
Think positive, I will try that book!
Sarah, your dog is adorable:)

Jackie07 09-26-2014 02:09 AM

I've been eating a huge bowl of oatmeal with fruits (strawberries, blue berries, apple, orange, banana, raisins, flax seeds and walnuts) and yogurt everyday the past 4 years.

And a daily woman's multivitamin.

And yes, a daily 30-minute walk does wonders - especially when I was undergoing chemo treatment.

Mtngrl 09-26-2014 08:13 PM

The one thing that has actually been proven to reduce the chance of recurrence is moderate exercise. Walk 30 minutes a day.

Most supplements have not been proven, which doesn't mean they are useless. It probably means that there are lots of interactions and synergistic effects with dietary interventions. That being said a diet rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatories certainly couldn't hurt. Actual supplements are kind of a crapshoot.

Control stress and inflammation. Eat real food--fresh or lightly processed. Sugar and added sweeteners (including honey) are ill-advised, except as treats.

As our friend Thinkpositive said, the book Anti-Cancer; A New Way of Life explains the lifestyle recommendations in more detail.

Good luck! Go forth and live well.