HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   another trial or rfa? going rfa (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35319)

eric 08-28-2008 06:15 PM

another trial or rfa? going rfa

Looks like we're close to finalizing the next step. Caryn's doc at Sloan is recommending another phase 1 trial while her NJ onc is ready to move to radiofrequency ablation to eliminate 2 lesions in her liver. I've been pestering him for a while for this procedure and he's ready now. The doc at Sloan isn't a fan of RFA for metastatic disease as he prefers a systematic approach. My feeling is let's do both. If the majority of her cancer activity is coming from a spot that's ablated then hopefully it becomes easier to manage the remaining cancer. As a result, Caryn and I have decided to opt for the RFA and choose a systematic approach based on her tumor markers after the procedure.

I couldn't have felt as comfortable going against the advice of this renowned NY doc if it wasn't for all that I've learned from each of you and this wonderful site.

Thank you, Eric

Joan M 08-28-2008 06:28 PM

Eric,

I was at Sloan for the RFA and basically had to run an obstacle course around the med onc there to get the procedure. I'll send you a PM.

Thankfully the interventional radiologist has a mind of his own, which isn't always the case with some of these doctors.

Joan

SoCalGal 08-29-2008 12:21 AM

Hi Eric-
I know of a few woman in my support group who had rfa with much success (all stage 4). I'm all for anything that gets rid of tumors. Of course you will have to deal systemically as well but less is truly more with cancer. Give my best to Caryn.
Flori

Kim in DC 08-29-2008 04:40 AM

Hi Eric,

I agree with your decision. The RFA will be immediate and then you can examine your systemic choices. Good Luck!!!!

Kim

goops 08-29-2008 06:01 PM

RFA is something that I am hoping to be able to do in the future, please let us know what Caryn thinks of it - from everything I have read - I think you have made the right choice. Good Luck!

lilyecuadorian 08-29-2008 09:01 PM

Eric, I think that if those liver mets are strong enough to resist some quimo ..need to have something strong and dont wait more time ,,,,I though the same thing like you why no treat it systemic and focalizaded ....I think you are doing a great with your decision ,,you are in my though ans my prayers always

chrisy 08-31-2008 10:36 AM

Eric,
I have to echo all that has been said. My med oncologist also is not a big fan of RFA but has told me she would support my doing it at some point (but would recommend also doing systemic treatment in conjunction).

I think one reason they don't support it more (other than it is "a different tool" than the ones they wield) is that there is not "proof" i.e. gold standard studies of efficacy. But there IS a growing body of evidence that this can help people - a lot, especially when the disease is confined to liver only. I think you've made a great decision - and I hope that Caryn's success with this will add to the evidence it works!

Good luck to you

Chris

Sheila 08-31-2008 04:17 PM

Eric
I too think you are making the correct choice, and an informed one. May this be the secret code to unlocking a stable and healthy period for Caryn...you are both in my prayers.