HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How many total Herceptin Infusions? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56845)

LeahM 12-16-2012 02:26 PM

How many total Herceptin Infusions?

Hey All,

I am noticing that different people are getting different amounts of Herceptin infusions. Some get it every 3 weeks for 1 year, for a total of 17 infusions. Others, like me, get it every week for 20 weeks, then every three weeks for the remainder of the year for a total of 30 infusions.

I have asked my onc but he said "different protocols of different facilities". I have looked online for info but Google isn't being my friend with this.

Does anyone know why some folks get more total infusions then others? Is my onc's reasoning the correct one?

Leah

NanaJoni 12-16-2012 03:41 PM

Re: How many total Herceptin Infusions?

My plan was Herceptin every week with Taxotere and Carboplatin added every third week. Was supposed to do six of the TCH but ended up having some complications so only did 4. Then did Herceptin every three weeks for almost a year. Had some lung complications from radiation so my onc just stopped the Herceptin when that was diagnosed. Only missed the last 3. You can see from my signature below that I was Stage 1 with no nodes. Don't know if that has some bearing on the plan you get but would guess it does. Hope you hear from others with more info soon.

Becky 12-16-2012 05:58 PM

Standard for Herceptin is 52 weeks. I am assuming you are getting 10 triple (every 3 week) doses. So that equals 50 weeks. You could bring this up and have your onc give you one more triple dose and if he is uncomfortable with 53 weeks then ask for one more double dose for 52 weeks.

LeahM 12-16-2012 06:16 PM

I'm not sure I understand your answer Becky...I will blame that on lingering chemo fog....

However, as far as I am aware, my first Herceptin was 6mg/kg, the following 19 (I had H infused weekly x20 weeks) were 4mg/kg. Then I had 2 weeks off and went in for 8mg/kg. This Tues. I will have my next H infusion and was told it would from here on be back to 4mg/kg.

Unless I have done my math wrong (which is so possible, I just found out while watching TV that I am not smarter then a 5th grader) I will have a total of 30 H infusions between the time it started and July 2013.

So...I guess I still don't understand...

pwiswell 12-17-2012 05:57 PM

I had herceptin every week for three years and just recently changed to Tykerb and Xeloda. I think it depends on the oncologist.

Kellennea 12-19-2012 03:26 PM

I had herceptin every third week along with my TCH for 6 cycles and then I had 11 more, every third week... for a total of 17.

I also asked my Oncologisy and I was told the same thing - different protocols of different facilities.

Becky 12-19-2012 04:49 PM

Basically, you need 52 weekly doses or 17 triple (every 3 week) doses.

Jackie07 12-21-2012 12:45 AM

If your heart is holding off well(not dropping more than 10 % or below 5 0 , you will get Herceptin every three weeks after finishing 18 weeks of TCH (or a different schedule of ATCH) and continue until completing a total of 1 year.

I ended up getting only 4 weekly Herceptin after 18 weeks of TCH (3 weeks x 6) and have been doing very well (Stage 2B) the past 5 1/2 years. I did have hysterectomy and oophorectomy in 2010 after another family member was diagnosed with HNPCC related cancer (Colon) and a positive BRCA1 result (Variance of Unknown Significance)

frankp 01-18-2013 09:47 AM

This conversation seemed to have ended a month ago. But I'm new, so... I think women on Herceptin should be monitored with a blood test call sHER2/neu. In most women the serum HER2 value will drop quickly, soon after Herceptin is started. If you've been on the drug for a time, it might still be valuable to start monitoring, looking for a rising value, a sign that the Herceptin is not working and might best be stopped. This practice of sHER2/neu monitoring is used by only a few doctors, but can be very helpful. Talk to you doctor. See the Web sites: www.oncogene.com and www.hertestonline.com.