HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How long does it take for Kadcyla to work? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58327)

yanyan 06-11-2013 11:30 AM

How long does it take for Kadcyla to work?

Today is day 12 since my 1st infusion. I know i am being very impatient and it is hard not to. I am not seeing much improvements on my skin mets- the rash is still there, red. I remember while on taxotere i could feel the tumor shrank in the 1st week but Kadcyla does not seem to work so fast.

For anyone of you who have been on Kadcyla, how long did it take to see any improvements? My oncologist said we probably won't see anything until we finish 2 sessions. As long as there is no progression, he considers it working. I feel discouraged as i have already failed herceptin and tykerb even though i am strongly HER2 positive.

JennyB 06-11-2013 06:21 PM

Re: How long does it take for Kadcyla to work?

Hi Yanyan,

I haven't been on Kadcycla but I have read lots of posts here about it being a slow starter so don't be discouraged hold on to what your onc says and 'patiently!!' wait - hard as I am sure it is!?
Prayers and thoughts are with you everyday from all over the world I wish I could do something to take your mind of the wait......
Good luck
Jenny x

phil 06-12-2013 02:56 PM

for Lorraine, it took 3-4 doses to knock 7 liver mets to 4. her tumor mrkrs did drop w/in first 2 weeks or so. after 7 doses she had to dose reduce to 3.0 , due to platelet drop , but cancer still shrunk away over next 7-9 months or so. ned at about 11 months of tx., , still ned today , since nov., 2011. every ones response is a little different, but they usually don't do scans until after dose 3 or 4. Good Luck

yanyan 06-13-2013 10:11 AM

Thanks ! I have skin mets so for me it is easy to see wheather or not it is working. I am getting 3.6 which is the FDA approved standard. Today is day 14 and I don't have the least nausea or fatigue. Everything feels so normal except that i get paranoid looking at my skin 10 times a day !

schoonder 06-13-2013 10:21 AM

Think Phil got it right, difficult to predict exact moment results of kadcyla, a personalized medicine, can be established. Linked article shows signs of efficacy, improved breathing, to occur after couple weeks; other symptoms might be slower to detect.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...200343881.html

yanyan 06-13-2013 02:55 PM

I remember reading that post when Kadcyla was approved. My reaction was " wow "....

Update from my doctors visit:

1. I told him i didn't see much improvements in the skin... My doctor said " are you kidding me ?" - I was very happy to hear when he told me it improved a lot since he saw me last week on day 7. He also said he didn't expect to see any dramatic change with only one shot or within 1 week from the treatment

2. Pallates dropped to 18,000 on day 7 but bounced back to 108,000 today on day 14.

schoonder 06-13-2013 05:52 PM

Great news yanyan, very happy your doctor is seeing signs drug is doing the job.

KristinSchwick 06-14-2013 02:04 PM

Yanyan, I've been on Kadcyla for 6 weeks, and just now did my tumor markers show benefit. Although the first few days after infusion, my bone mets ached and I felt pretty tired and stiff. However I felt overall much better in the weeks after my first infusion that I did prior to starting Kadcyla. Clinical response was early.

yanyan 06-15-2013 01:49 PM

Hi Kristen I'm glad to hear about ur response to kadcyla! My 2nd treatment is scheduled for next Thursday. As wierd as it may sound I am very looking forward to it. Somehow I like the chills muscle pains and headaches expected to happen on treatment day... I guess these side effects assure me that the drug is in my body doing its job.

Some pp are so fortunate to stay Ned on just herceptin alone for years and years! I wish more pp can have a response like that without developing resistance.

yanyan 07-15-2013 10:10 AM

Today is day 4 since my 3rd Kadcyla treatment. The results have been very encouraging. The redness on my breast is scaled down from 10 to 2, so i would say 80% gone ! My doctor thinks based on the speed it is going, it is likely to clear everything up with another 1 or 2 treatments. There will still be very light redness though, as he calls" residue". I still have bad pains all over and this time the low palates seem to have come in earlier as i am already seeing red spots and bruises, some chest congestion too. I am very amazed and thankful how people's life can turn around just within weeks !

ElaineM 07-15-2013 02:40 PM

I am so happy to hear your skin mets are shrinking.
Have you ever tried sesame oil for platelets?
I had low platelets several years ago and my naturopathic physician suggested a spoon of sesame oil a day. It helped bring up the platelets.

'lizbeth 07-15-2013 03:45 PM

Wow - you Kadcyla gurus are my heros! This is just amazing to hear the good responses. I really hope that everyone gets to NED and has a long, long run on it.

So excited for you all to have this new option.

Phil, can you believe it is finally approved? One of the new ladies was offered the ATEMPT trial for the early breast cancer which compares TH to TDM1. Have you heard of any others?

phil 07-16-2013 01:04 PM

yanyan , so happy for you. such a quick response is a good indicator for continued benefits. like Lorraines experience. watch those plats.
hadn't heard of sesame oil for plats, i'll mention it to Lorraine.
i am excited that more pts will get t dm-1 earlier in the battle, been waiting for an adjuvant trial to compare it to taxanes. but how long will that trial take ? 3 yrs ? 4 ? if i was newly dx with a high her2 overexpression, i would give an adjuvant trial some serious thought.
still think the drug appr system needs a serious overhaul, the TDM-1 delay is just one sign of an FDA System that is too slow, out of touch with 21st century science , and the reality of the chemo rooms . You Stage IV 's have too few rights, and noone speaks for you at This FDA , a situation that we aim to change .

Tonya 10-31-2013 10:37 PM

I am on my fourth dose of kadcyla and was wondering how many doses did you have before ca15-3 starting dropping? After the second dose it leveled off at 366 and next does only dropped it 6 points and now today it has taken a jump up over 150 points. My Doctor Wanted me to try one more round and check markers again. I am praying for a big miracle in the next 3 weeks to pull these markers back down. :( Any helpful information? bc2002 IV since 2007 liver mets, ovary involvement.Running out of options fast. Tonya

yanyan 10-31-2013 10:53 PM

Hi Tonya! Has ur doctor mentioned perjeta? Although some insurance companies might deny coverage Genetech has a copayment assistance program and you may get free drug if your household income is less than $100,000.

My tumor markers have never been high. I get CEA and ca 27.29 tested every month. My CEA was always under 1 but went up to 3 while I am on Kadcyla. There are quite a few members here with liver mets and you may want to open a new thread on the treatment options for liver mets. Stay positive !!

michka 11-01-2013 01:59 AM

Hi Tonya. The only real measure is by scan. Your markers can also raise in the beginning because of dying cancer cells. Did you have a scan? Keep faith. Michka

phil 11-01-2013 11:43 AM

I agree with Michka. get a scan . Lorraine got a scan after 3 doses.