HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ~Is That A Blowtorch Pointed At My Toe??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31143)

Believe51 11-15-2007 10:25 AM

~Is That A Blowtorch Pointed At My Toe???

Strange as it may be Ed has been getting awakened with a hot sensation in only one big toe and we were wondering if this may be a symptom of some sort from the chemo combo. He says it is like a blowtorch pointed at his toe and the pain is almost unbearable! I do have a call into the doctor's office but was wondering if anyone had this sensation before. The doctor probally will not know the answer that my girls may be able to supply us with.

I think this is the strangest question from us yet!! LOL>>Believe51

Brenda_D 11-15-2007 11:20 AM

While A/C is not the usual culprit for neuropathy, I experienced it after my chemo (A/C).
I had the burning feeling in the toes and buzzing, vibrations in the legs.
I did experience the buzzing feeling in different places over my whole body at times, but mainly in the legs and feet.
I've been on Gabapentin since I finished chemo, and am just now trying to lower the dosage to see if I can get off of it completely.
Also, for me, the worst times were when I went to bed at night.

Erin 11-15-2007 11:56 AM

I have a very similar problem, but for me it is a excruciating knife-like shooting pain in my right toe, (only!) on and off. I also have a burning sensation in the soles of both feet, especially if I have on closed shoes. My onc says is it neuropathy (sp?) from the taxotere. He was very concerned when it started because it can get worse very quickly and can be permanent. Seemed odd that they were so concerned with something that seemed more of an annoyance to me - certainly not as bad as the weakness and fatigue.

Hope it gets better!

hutchibk 11-15-2007 01:29 PM

Tell him to take his B6 and glutamine powder... I think that might assist his burning neuropathetic (lol) toes...

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-15-2007 06:27 PM

The One Toe Thing... A Conundrumj.

Oh dear Marie,

When I was on Taxotere I would wake up feeling as if I had been walking on burning hot coals all night. The soles of my feet were on fire! It was so weird. (Consequently I used a vat of vaseline on my soles before going to bed and then put on socks, not to leak all over the place.) I also had neuropathy in my toes and fingers. Pain and dropping almost everything I touched involuntarily. Quite bizarre.

The one toe thing is interesting yet, someone posted they had the exact same thing! When some have excruciating pain in their big toe it can be an indicator of gout or high uric acid. Just some things to think about, for your consideration. Each day I awoke with a *new* side effect. I began to joke, tomorrow I may wake up and find a detached toe! Now, that's not so funny... May Ed's toe recovery soon. Try kissing it and making it all better. That used to work, right? I love you guys...
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

Brenda_D 11-16-2007 05:49 AM

When I went to the doctor last month, I had a really sore big toe. The nurse said "might be gout", but the doc said "ingrown toe nail".

I guess I'm saying it's hard to know what it is without seeing it.

Whatever it is, I hope it's feeling better now.

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-16-2007 09:56 AM

You Can Have A Whole Lot Of Pain From One Little Toe

Maybe see a podiatrist. You don't want a pedicurist messing w/your toe(s) while on chemo...

Any better?

Andi

Believe51 11-16-2007 10:19 AM

A bit...

Ed seems to be maintaining although he has the 'fluttering' sensations in his belly. He has said that his stomach feels different than it did with the other two treatments. Atleast he is eating!! I feel terrible because he has always been this picture of health, he is not used to being sick. Also he had always ate healthy, putting others to shame with their diets (ahhhh, me LOL!!) and right now he eats just about anything he feels up to eating, homemade mac & cheese, things that are not-so-healthy but HE MUST GET FATTER!! Through this journey he has lost over 50 pounds!! YIKES!! Our concern for now is eat anything and MAINTAIN weight. Again girls, his belly has not been the same since pelvis rads and all doctors involved say he is recovering the way they envisioned, by the new year he should feel a bit better.

The toe thing seemed strange, but for a second since the entire disease is strange!! I knew someone had to have this go on and we will follow up since it could get to be an issue. I thank you girls for the advice and we are keeping 'AFOOT' of it all....ROTFL!!>>Believe51

hutchibk 11-16-2007 10:43 AM

Lots of almond butter and 'fruit only jelly' sandwiches on good whole oat bran & multigrain bread! That's what always tasted good to me on every chemo that made my tummy yucky.