HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Questions About Vaccinations (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50380)

KDR 06-10-2011 03:46 AM

Questions About Vaccinations

There has been much discussion recently about vaccinations for those who reach (and stay) NED for two scan cycles. Has anyone opted for a vaccination, where did you do it, and how did it differ from others. Did it last? For instance, there is one locally that I know of, but I am exempt from it due to thyroid issues.

I'd love to hear of your experiences,
Thanks,
Karen

'lizbeth 06-10-2011 09:44 AM

Re: Questions About Vaccinations

I did the GP2 vaccine and SandraGA did a different vaccine in our Walter Reed trial. I highly recommend the trial. I had an incredible experience and it seems my immunity is stronger.

'lizbeth 06-10-2011 10:44 AM

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...er+reed&rank=2

This is the vaccine trial SandraGa & I are participating in!

mamacze 06-10-2011 12:27 PM

Hi Karen,
As I think you know, I participated in with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle 6 years ago. I think they continue to recruit for their trials. I was told 1 year after participating that I am a responder. Do a bit of research and go for it! I think the ones that vaccinate against more than just her 2 are the best.
Good Luck!
Love Kim from CT

KDR 06-10-2011 01:57 PM

'lizbeth, I checked it out, thanks! Yep, I'd not be a candidate with a history of autoimmune disease.

Will check on Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle, Kim. That'd be great, I can stay with an old best friend there!

Karen

Ellie F 06-10-2011 02:15 PM

Steph posted some time ago that the Tumour vaccine group at Seattle were soon to start a trial for a next generation peptide her 2 vaccine. Not heard anymore yet but it looked very promising.Anyone got any further information??

Kim- how do they assess if you are a responder? I assume it's via a blood test??

Ellie

KDR 06-10-2011 05:23 PM

Yes, it's true. U of W was just approved for another vaccine trial last week. Details forthcoming soon (I spoke to them this afternoon). I did go over some of the requirements and some of the exclusions with the coordinator.

Kim, interesting question from Ellie--how do you know if you are a "responder"? By staying NED?
Thanks
Karen

Kim in DC 06-10-2011 05:32 PM

Karen,

Off the top of your head, what was the inclusion exclusion criteria? Mets or no mets? I know there is vaccine trial at Sloan kettering but you have to be NED. What do you hear about that one?

Kim

KDR 06-10-2011 06:05 PM

Hi, Kim in DC.
Yes, there is one at MSKCC, but I wouldn't qualify as I have a thyroid condition. I'm just beginning my quest for a vaccine I could qualify for when I get to NED again. U of W requires one scan with summarized results of NED, not stable. Must be NED. I called specifically for Stage IV information. One vaccine requires bone mets. You could check their website and call for specifics, that way all of your questions can be addressed. I'd hate to give you the wrong information. But, it is exciting that another one HAS been approved.
Karen

Cure4Cat 06-10-2011 06:17 PM

Hi Karen,

Here is the link to the trial Steph posted a while ago:

http://www.tapimmune.com/collaborations/

It sounds promising. I contacted the Mayo clinic and it has not yet started but they anticipate starting it within 6 months to 1 year. (This was a while ago so you may want to contact them for an update.). I had planned to contact them again in September when I am closer to finishing my Herceptin to get an update. They were happy to have me follow up down the road. I hope that it works out for you as well. Please keep us posted if you hear anything.

All the best!
Cat

mamacze 06-11-2011 09:06 AM

Karen, does that mean you are not eligible for the Seattle vaccine? You have to be NED? Drat! Keep an eye on the other ones; maybe they will have looser eligibility criteria.
My understanding is that after reviewing blood samples that I sent in after the last vaccine, they saw anti her2 antibodies making me a "responder". I believe this is the study I was a participant in : http://depts.washington.edu/tumorvac...rap_449-54.pdf

I hope you are successful in finding a trial. Fingers and toes crossed!
Love Kim from CT

mamacze 06-11-2011 09:09 AM

Oh, one more thought; I am remembering that Dr. Disis (who leads the Seattle research) recommended the Walter Reed trial that 'Lizbeth participated in, as it vaccinates against more than just the her 2. I think I would try for that one first....

Rich66 06-11-2011 01:11 PM

Kim,
" I was told 1 year after participating that I am a responder."

Is this determined by a lab measurement or lack of recurrence?

Estelle 06-11-2011 09:27 PM

Hi Karen,
I wasn't on yesterday. I am in a vaccine trial at Johns Hopkins; it is peptide based specific to HER2. The lead researcher is Dr. Leisha Emmens. I'll try to find the number. She is running research both for stage 3 and 4. Not sure about the stage 4 trial, but for the st. 3 (which I am in), had to be NED to start. Good luck in your reviews. There are so many out there it is difficult to know which one is most effective.

'lizbeth 06-12-2011 07:06 AM

This is the Walter Reed trial that Sandra & I are participating in:

Official Title: Phase II Trial of the HER2/Neu Peptide GP2 + GM-CSF Vaccine vs GM-CSF Alone in HLA-A2+ OR the Modified HER2/Neu Peptide AE37 + GM-CSF Vaccine vs GM-CSF Alone in HLA-A2- Node-Positive and High-Risk Node-Negative Breast Cancer Patients

RATIONALE: Vaccines made from peptides may help the body build an effective immune response to kill tumor cells that express HER2/neu. Biological therapies, such as GM-CSF, may stimulate the immune system in different ways and stop tumor cells from growing. It is not yet known whether vaccine therapy is more effective than GM-CSF in treating breast cancer.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase II trial is studying vaccine therapy to see how well it works compared with GM-CSF in treating patients with breast cancer.

mamacze 06-12-2011 09:27 AM

" I was told 1 year after participating that I am a responder."

Is this determined by a lab measurement or lack of recurrence?

Hi Rich,

Blood test - my oncologist had to send them in periodically...

Kim from CT

KDR 06-12-2011 12:34 PM

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01355393

This is the new one at U of Washington. For Stage II-IV.

Karen