HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My Sister Has Breast Cancer (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50453)

Sheila 06-17-2011 12:21 PM

My Sister Has Breast Cancer

My youngest sister was diagnosed this week with a rare form of breast cancer, papillary adenocarcinoma. She got the IHC test back and she is triple negative. She just turned 50.....she will be meeting with the breast clinic panel at Rush in Chicago this Wednesday....I have chemo that day so we will go together. Please keep her in your prayers....

Becky 06-17-2011 12:32 PM

Re: My Sister Has Breast Cancer

I will keep you close to my heart. At least you can be with and near your sister. A sister is a special person. I know when my sister was diagnosed last year, I just wished it was me again.

Keep the faith. I am always thinking about you dear friend.

Ceesun 06-17-2011 12:51 PM

My thoughts are with you both, Sheila. Ceesun

krisvell 06-17-2011 12:55 PM

Oh Sheila,
Rats, that is not the news you want to hear. Your sister is in my prayers. I'll be thinking of the both of you.
Hugs,
Kris....

tricia keegan 06-17-2011 02:03 PM

I'm so sorry Sheila and will be thinking of you both, I have another 24 year cancer survivor friend who's sister was diagnosed this week too:(

chrisy 06-17-2011 02:34 PM

Sheila, you know how I feel about this. Continuing to hold you both in my thoughts and prayers

sassy 06-17-2011 05:55 PM

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

ammebarb 06-17-2011 06:35 PM

Oh Sheila, I'm so sorry. You will both be in my prayers. I found this group when my dear sis was diagnosed.....Seems like a few of us are among those who have siblings with similar diagnoses. I'm sure you are a source of comfort and strength for her, a role we wish with our whole hearts we didn't need to fill. Hope she gets a good plan in place on Wednesday. Let her know we are wishing her well!

Barb A.

KDR 06-17-2011 07:07 PM

Sheila,
I am so sorry to hear the news of your sister's diagnosis. What a tough year it has been for you and your family.
There is a woman I meet with frequently at my center who is triple negative with plenty of mets...she's been NED for a very long time now. My best wishes to you all.
Love
Karen

Soccermom 06-17-2011 07:43 PM

Oh Sheila I am so sorry.. prayers for you all. And No doubt you will be an unbelievable help to her!

Gentle hugs,
Marcia

(Hope I don't sound insensitive...:(.. but am wondering if you were ever BRCA tested? A high % of BRCA + women are triple negs.
The PARP inhibitors are their most current weapon although they first are treated with standard chemo)
Just trying to be helpful in my small way)

Mary Jo 06-17-2011 07:49 PM

Awww Sheila......I'm sorry. Yes, I will keep your sister and you in my prayers. I have a sister too. We are very close. I always hope she doesn't get breast cancer too. Like Becky, I would rather it be me. Love and prayers Sheila.

Jackie07 06-17-2011 08:18 PM

Sheila,

I have two older sisters (and three older brothers) and I understand how you (and your sister)feel. I'm confident your sister will sail through all the hurdles under your guidance.

Didn't see any genetic testing info in your signature. Perhaps both of you need to be tested?

Sending y'al good vibes.

michka 06-18-2011 02:58 AM

Sheila I am sending love to you and your sister. I am so sorry. I understand what Becky and you feel. Michka

Delaney 06-18-2011 03:24 AM

Thinking good thoughts for you both. She is fortunate to have you with her.

Sheila 06-18-2011 05:09 AM

Thank you all for your support and prayers for my sister...I am trying to stay strong bfor her.

I was tested 1 year ago for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene and both were negative. Seems the did a BART (?) test on me too and it was negative....makes me wonder with my Mom, then me, now my youngest sister.....but all three of us have had no similarities in our cancers.

Soccermom 06-18-2011 06:37 AM

Sheila,
Thought this bit of info might help in terms of BRCA ... Seems that there are families, albeit rare, where although one (affected w BC) family member may be - , tested other family members may be prudent as they could still be +.

At this point the purpose would be to determine if your sister might need to take other steps recommended for those who are BRCA+, ie; Oophrectomy.

Hope I am not being annoying I know u dont need that?!

At the very least speaking with a Certified Genetics Counselor would be in order as there are other familial cancer syndromes that include BC.

With genuine concern,
Marcia

Mary L 06-18-2011 08:50 AM

Sheila, your sister and you are in my prayers. Best Wishes, Mary L

chicagoetc 06-18-2011 05:45 PM

Sheila,

Life is not fair. As one of my client's said... "S*** happens". There are probably connections that nobody knows. Or maybe it is just pure coincidence. But it sounds like hard new to ingest. I hope the news/outcome for your sister is ultimately good...

Melanie

PS: I should say that my mother too is a survivor.

lkc Gumby 06-19-2011 06:56 AM

Hi Sheila I am sorry to hear this about your sister. I lost my mom , my mother's mom, and my mom's only sister to BC. and I was dxed May 2011.
I have been told by many Drs I most likely carry a genetic mutation that simply has not been identified yet.

We all have thousands of genes, and BrAc1 andBrAc2 is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

I lost sister this year and I know the pain well.

Becky I am sorry to hear of your sisters Diagnosis.

It all sucks.

Mary Anne in TX 06-19-2011 07:58 AM

Sheila, you do surely have my prayers and thoughts each day for you and your sister. Whatever the reason for this, if it's happening, I'm so glad you have each other. Luv to you both, ma