HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Calling all stage iv sisters (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48453)

JLine 12-29-2015 01:55 PM

Re: Calling all stage iv sisters

I'm a 32 years old woman. I'm not a long term survivor, but I hope I can be. I was diagnosed stage 4 her2+ on Sept 2014 with liver mets (2 single spots about 10mm). I was 36 weeks pregnant at that time. I started Chemo 3 days after my daughter's birth. 6 rounds of chemo and Herceptin every 3 weeks since then.
November 2015 I was about to have a bilateral mastectomy when they found out a small spot in the brain. My onc decided to treat the brain first. So I had a procedure called Gamma knife. There was 2 spots (11mm and another like a dot).
December 2015, 4 days before Christmas I had the Bilateral Mastectomy.
I'm so glad I found this group!!

Jackie07 02-01-2016 10:50 PM

Well, guess it's time to update the list? Or should we just continue the conversation among ourselves?

Yip, you heard/read it right. I just used the word 'ourselves'.

Have experienced changes in my bowel movement the last couple of years. Requested an early Colonoscopy which came back benign (diverticulosis). Always thought I'd get another Lynch Syndrome cancer as my late Mother, who passed away at 91 years of age two years ago, had been treated successfully for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma when she was 75. And 2nd Brother, who's 10 years my senior, is a 7 year colon cancer survivor.

Well, guess what? I finally hit the JackPot!

1. Dilated appendix with thick wall and central hypodensity, without significant surrounding inflammatory changes or fluid collection. These findings may
represent early appendicitis or mucinous neoplasm. Mild right lower quadrant lymphadenopathy is also present.
2. Interval development of multiple hypodense lesions in the right hepatic lobe. This finding is concerning for metastatic disease. Given the appendiceal findings, hepatic metastases is a consideration. However, the patient also has a history of breast cancer, with metastatic recurrence an additional consideration.
3. Stable benign hepatic hemangiomas.

Will see the oncologist Wednesday to discuss the result. No, he did not order the scans. The nurse practitioner at the clinic near FIL's house (We've been staying in the country to help take care of the soon-to-be 93-year-old 'DeDaddy') had ordered it after I had complained about the discomfort in the lower right quadrant and pressure on the right side of the bladder. I've been having frequent UTIs since the total hysterectomy five years ago. She ordered an ultrasound at the main hospital in our town and right after the procedure I was told to have
a CT done the same day. She called me after hour (6:20 pm) and wanted to see me Monday to discuss the result.

I was told to make an appointment with my oncologist. I did, and the earliest appointment is March 4th. But a few hours later, I received a call from the hospital/clinic and was told to see my oncologist this Wednesday.

Guess they had figured out it's a serious situation ... :)

Felt very blessed as I'd known so many successful stories and wonderful fighters through this thread. The nurse practitioner probably had never expected my calm reaction ... Yip, two brain tumor (Central Neurocytomas - unrelated to BC, though could be due to the same gene defect I'd inherited) surgeries, two breast cancer surgeries, a total hysterectomy, and now possible liver mets treatment...

We'll get it taken care of, just like all the other challenges we had faced before.
Thanks for everyone's encouraging story. "You lift me up ...".

Gift 02-02-2016 05:59 AM

Dear Jackie,
That's rather sad what happened with you to share the same title of stage 4 fighter.
There are plenty of us fighting including me. Like what you mentioned, there are many success stories which always give me hope and energy to fight.
Regards from Thailand
Gift

MaineRottweilers 02-02-2016 06:11 AM

Sorry to hear this, Jackie. Looking forward to hearing what solid plan they put in place for you that will facilitate your long survival.

PS. you are incredibly strong for remaining so calm and objective.

ariana 02-02-2016 06:59 AM

Jackie, I am so sorry to hear this. I have a pet scan coming up Feb. 9, and dreading what it might show. My breast cancer from the right breast, went to my lungs last
Aug. I just finished chemo, and had just Perjeta and herception the 25 of Jan. Will be on Herception for life, not sure how long perjeta will stay. I am having different symptoms and am dreading the scan results. Tired already of the running back an forth as I have a heart eco the 8, pet scan the 9, treatment the 15 and meet the onc. afterwards. Some days I want to just stay in bed. Prayers being said Jackie.

DianaMK 02-02-2016 01:39 PM

Jackie,
So sorry you are dealing with this. Prayers and hugs.

thinkpositive 02-02-2016 04:57 PM

Jackie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your latest setback. It seems that you have dealt with so many health issues throughout the years. It just doesn't seem fair. However, rather than being bitter you seem to be handling this as a true warrior. I admire you. I don't think that I could be as strong.

Take care,
Brenda

Pamelamary 02-02-2016 11:22 PM

Sorry to hear this Jackie! However, as someone living well after 4 years with bone and liver mets, I am sure you can deal with what is in store. After so many health related problems, you certainly have the courage to face this new one.
Best wishes..... Pam

michka 02-03-2016 03:33 AM

Dear Jackie, I am so sorry to read that you have to go back into the fight once more. Today is Wednesday. I am thinking of you and I am hoping your oncologist is able to give a clear diagnosis and build a plan with you. please keep us updated. We are with you. Michka

Bunty 02-03-2016 04:27 AM

Jackie, sorry to read your update. Please keep us up to date with how you go with the oncologist. Maybe check about local intervention for the liver.
Big hugs, Marie x

Becky 02-03-2016 06:02 AM

Aw Jackie. At least you didn't let symptoms go by as they seemed vague and not that concerning. Make sure it is not just the appendix that is giving you a problem. Also make sure it is not a new primary versus mets if that is the path you are going down. I am thinking about you and have all fingers crossed.

Colleen 02-03-2016 08:56 AM

Stage IV since October 2013, initial diagnosis: right breast 6-7 nodes including node above clavicle, and a lesion on liver. 6 cycles THP with a result of COMPLETE pathological response. Continue vitamin H and P every three weeks and remain NED. My life is full and busy with swimming, cycling, skiing, snowshoeing, yoga, new grand baby on the way....so much to live for, amen.

Jackie07 02-04-2016 07:21 AM

Thanks for sharing, Colleen. That's exactly what I needed to hear right now.

And thanks for everyone's encouragement, I really needed it. The Chinese New year is coming up soon (Feb. 8th is New year's Day for the Year of the Monkey) and the tradition is not to say unlucky words nor to share bad news during at least the first three days of the new year. I had called my 2nd Sister yesterday morning and she's not going to share the news with my other siblings (all of them are living in Taiwan) until after the 10th.

Will see the GI doctor to have the CT result evaluated Monday. Looking back, I'd had some irritations in the liver area for at least a year. But we just thought it was caused by the hepatic hemangioma ...

Ready - set - go!

Colleen 02-04-2016 07:43 AM

Jackie, its not easy road but a road we CAN make it down. Believe you will be ok, the mind is a very powerful thing! Besides the traditional chemo and targeted therapies I have used acupuncture, meditation and visualization along with lots of exercise and solid nutrition. I am not perfect but I try to be better. I know some of the people who read this may not agree but I read the book Radical Remission and it was a bright light during a dark time for me.

Jackie07 02-05-2016 01:50 PM

Thanks for sharing about the book, Colleen. She (the author) sounds pretty credible.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ical-remission

Mtngrl 02-08-2016 05:33 PM

Jackie,

I'm so sorry you've "graduated" to the Stage IV club. It does put everything in a whole new light.

You've always been so kind and supportive. Thank you for that, and rest assured you are loved here.

SoCalGal 02-08-2016 08:01 PM

Jackie, Year of the Monkey, Year of the Clown, it's all the same, Cancer doesn't discriminate. And there are no lucky pennies, just very determined and well-educated self-advocates who FIGHT for their own survival. My money is on you. I'm very sorry that you have to deal with this beast again. You are so supportive to us all, hopefully we can return the favor as you get things figured out and get a plan of action. Happy New Year, and we'll go ape for you!

Jackie07 02-08-2016 11:27 PM

Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement.

Saw the GI surgeon today. 'There's no definitive answer (as to whether I have appendex cancer and if so, which cancer has metastasized to the liver) until a biopsy.' Will fast from midnight Thursday and have a blood draw Friday at 11:30 am, then liver biopsy at 12:30 pm. Whew! So glad they have got the ball rolling ...

KaiM 02-13-2016 11:27 AM

I haven't posted here in a long time, but wanted to check in to give hope where I can. I need to update my signature, as my latest scan (Jan) still shows all is stable for me. I have been on Herceptin and daily Tykerb since May 2012, when I stopped my hard chemo. My doctor has never had a patient stable on this regime this long, so we are in uncharted waters. Wonderful, blessed, smooth waters. When I was diagnosed in 2011, stage 4 From the start, my second child was three months old and I didn't know if I'd live long enough for him to know me. I know longer just hope, I believe. We are not statistics and there is life beyond this diagnosis. Hugs to all my sisters.

Whonoze 02-13-2016 05:55 PM

I'm so happy for you.