HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   nails falling off?? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46107)

candlegranny 07-22-2010 02:31 PM

nails falling off??

i am finished with my chemo, meeting with radiologist tomorrow morning. I wear acrylic nails. Never had a problem this whole time until yesterday. I was lifting some clothing and one of my nails popped off. It took my whole nail with it. mean there is nothing on the end of my finger! I also started trimming my toe nails and my big toe nail almost came off in my clippers, not it is missing all but a little spot of nail that is left. Is this a side effect of taxotere? how long do the side effects linger on? The watery eyes, no eyelashes, my skin itches all over and is very dry. My eyebrows itch awful I think i need to go soak these fake nails off and hope to save my nails instead of risking breaking another off.has anyone else suffered these side effects and if so what did you go for relief?

MJo 07-22-2010 02:52 PM

Re: nails falling off??

I don't know about taxotere, but AC definitely effects the nails. Mine turned black! They didn't fall off, but it might have been better if they had. Had to wait for them to grow out. I'm sure your nail problems are a side effect of all the chemo.
What did I do for relief? antidepressants and xanax!
As for the nails, I didn't do anything except hand cream and watching out for infection.

candlegranny 07-22-2010 03:01 PM

is AC the adrimyacin and cytoxin? I had that in the beginning. I am doing good with coping I think just wanted an idea of when all this would be over. Guess I just need to keep positive and think with all the side effects, surely the chemo wiped out any left over cancer. I know it will get better I am just a little impatient.

tricia keegan 07-22-2010 03:49 PM

I kept my own long manicured nails with a/c, (adriamycin/cytoxin) and it felt good to hang on to these after my hair fell out!!!

I had your experience with Taxol though, my eye lashes/brows went along with broken nails:(

Its best to keep them short for a time and hopefully no more will break off!! Mine were so long when they broke off I had to plaster's over them:(

It will pass once the tx is over so hang in there:)

PinkGirl 07-22-2010 04:46 PM

On taxol, my nails cracked off, peeled off, fell off .... and they
continued to give me grief while on herceptin. After herceptin they
went back to normal.

Nancy L 07-22-2010 08:33 PM

My fingernails all broke off about half way down and then fell off. I also lost both of my large toe nails. It was painful when it happened. I believe it was the Taxotere. I have been on Herceptin for over five years and Tykerb now for 16 months. My nails peel and I have them cut as short as possible. I was told not to wear artificial nails because of increased issues with infections. I used to wear gel nails and am considering trying them again.

Good luck with your treatment. Your nails will grow back but they probably won't be the same.

Ellie F 07-23-2010 03:33 AM

Me to! Lost eyebrows and eyelashes with taxotere however the most painful part was when my big toe nails separated and bleed underneath. Didn't have problem with nails on AC just hair loss.

Ellie

caya 07-23-2010 07:12 AM

I had crappy nails on Taxotere and Herceptin.
Like Pinky, these issues resolved after treatment.

I use 100% organic virgin coconut oil on my hands and feet (actually all over my body) and it helps immensely.
You only need a bit, but it goes a long way. Buy a jar at a health food store - a large jar costs $10 - $15 but will last for months.

all the best
caya

michka 07-23-2010 07:17 AM

8 toe nails fell out with Taxol. Nothing stopped it. The onc had told me it only happened with Taxotere... But my finger nails held on. Three or four were just a little brown. I had to wear oversized sport shoes. I understand how difficult it is for you. You can't do much about it but as you finished chemo now the process should reverse. My nails grew back like they were before even during Herceptin and then Tykerb. But it takes time. Michka

msleslie 08-31-2010 04:56 PM

A couple of days ago two of my toe nails split straight across. I'm not sure how they are still hanging on. First no hair, no taste buds, now I learn I may have to give up my sexy shoes - WOW.

wlproctor 09-02-2010 11:21 AM

My nails haven't fallen off but they are tissue thin. I have to keep them trimmed to the quick.

Nina 09-05-2010 09:35 AM

I have been on TCH since late April. Just finished. Nails have pealed and ripped, but I have kept the damage to a minimum by using a clear gel polish and keeping them very short. They have not fallen out or even loosened. Same with toe nails. They have even grown a tiny bit during this time.

msleslie 09-05-2010 07:04 PM

I'm using a clear polish and avoiding remover. I'll just continue to reapply as needed. I also use an olive oil nail & cuticle treatment (looks just like a clear polish but is simply oil). In addition, my onc has recommended that I apply vicks rub to my nails daily to prevent them from turning yellow.