HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Oh yeah, and about that bad leg... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55701)

chrisy 08-31-2012 12:21 PM

Oh yeah, and about that bad leg...

Hi all,*
I never posted news about the MK2206 trial running out of steam for me, nor about the persistent leg injury (torn muscle/tendon in leg which over the past weeks, and past few days has grown increasingly alarming.

The trial failure, Perjeta issue and interim plans were to be the main topics of discussion at my office visit with Dr Rugo yesterday morning.

So the NP and Dr Rugo took one look at my leg and the acute issue is that, whether it is a blood clot (now ruled out) or an infection around the injury. Either thing lands me in the hospital with an IV drip. *Now we know it's an antibiotic to,hopefully fight the infections, plus a unit of blood just for kicks.*

Well the day took a major turn and has now ended up as a Labor Day weekend at the always luxurious UCSF Parnassas hospital! *Actually, this is the best place for me to be, one of the best hospitals in California.

I just hope I don't have to listen to a timeshare presentation. *

But it's probably a several day ( or more) stay.

I believe this is a blessing, not *even disguised. *I knew there was something terribly wrong with the leg; now I feel there is a competent team looking at it from all the necessary angles...or maybe angels. * No way I could have pulled that together. *

I am an interesting and unusual case (go figure!) and have already had 6 doctors/surgeons looking at it trying to figure out what to do. *More on the way, too. They are trying to decide whether or not do do surgery to clean out some of the fluid/blood/infection. And have me NPO which is Latin for no putting anything in your mouth.

So i hope they decide soon, although the surgery sounds scary and painful, too.

I've recently relearned from a dear friend how powerful prayer can be...so am boldly asking for as many as can be floated out there...

Thanks for the love, my friends

Redwolf8812 08-31-2012 12:41 PM

Re: Oh yeah, and about that bad leg...

Prayers, prayers, prayers....

Jeanette 08-31-2012 12:50 PM

Prayers coming your way Chrisy, jeanette

BonnieR 08-31-2012 01:02 PM

You have already paid more than enough for the Timeshare!! Seems like you might have signed up for a few. That happens when you get carried away.
Seriously, I am sorry to hear where you find yourself but glad that it is giving you comfort. It IS good to know that something is being done.
Keep the faith.

caya 08-31-2012 01:35 PM

Sending you lots of hugs and prayers from Canada Chrisy.

Hope those docs can figure everything out for you!

all the best
caya

Lani 08-31-2012 01:35 PM

Have you (before this even if the past few months/year) been given an antibiotic that ends in floxin or floxicillin? They have been known to predispose those taking them (even one dose) to tendon ruptures including biceps tendons, Achilles tendons, posterior tibialis tendons)

Are they planning an MRI or just ultrasound on your leg? The former would show a lot more from what I understand.

Hope this helps everyone get on board ie, doctors from lots of disciplines helping you get your perjeta.

KaiM 08-31-2012 02:01 PM

lots of prayers coming your way. You are one of my inspirations on this board and I'm sure you will continue to be so.

jellybean 08-31-2012 02:14 PM

Hey Chrisy,

I am sure you had better plans for the three day weekend.

If you need anything over the weekend, please let me know. I live in San Francisco, and could bring over food (when you are not NPO), reading materials, or whatever else you could use from the "outside." I will check this thread, and also my private messages, over the weekend. I know you didn't pack an overnight bag for your Thursday appointment.

Best,

JB

karen z 08-31-2012 02:32 PM

Prayers are coming your way.
Please hang in there and be the toughie you are.
K

Becky 08-31-2012 02:41 PM

Thoughts and best wishes for you always.

Pray 08-31-2012 03:20 PM

More prayers coming. Gods blessings to you. Please keep us posted. feel free to chime in as often as you like. You know someone is always on here!

Mary Anne in TX 08-31-2012 04:22 PM

It's so easy to pray for you, Chris! I'll even add a footnote prayer about the time share people. Although, one might be a past life insurance agent who knows the ropes. Tons of prayers and love I send. ma

Ceesun 08-31-2012 05:42 PM

Chrissy, If you go for the timeshare, be sure to buy on the secondary market, not brand new like we did!!! Although, I loved every moment of having one...that was before BC, oh well. Seriously though, I am counting on a full recovery for the leg issue and a successful treatment option for you. Sincerely, Ceesun

chrisy 08-31-2012 06:08 PM

Timeshare, shmimeshare. I (or maybe the insurance co) could have paid for the Perjeta by the time I get out of here. Insurance karma maybe.

Lani - you are on point. Prior the the initial muscle, tendon tear no such antibiotics. I did a short course of cipro in June and was a bit freaked by that side effect

The acute issue right noe is excessive bleeding and now abscess, which has to be drained tomorrow morning.

But yes, I will be demanding an MRI, I'm not buyin it's the same injury without proof.

In a way tho it doesn't matter in terms of treatment but it does impact Phys therapy so we need to know.

Will be busy tomorrow!

StephN 08-31-2012 06:32 PM

Well, Chris, you are in OUR version of a "timeshare." Just that it is the kind where we want to spend as little of our time there as possible! And the daily rate is sky high ...

I am glad you are being put under watch, as I have a friend whose hubby almost died from a little scratch on his leg that ballooned up and he was then transported from his work to the hospital within TWO hours of getting to work.

You just need to make sure that everyone who touches you is as sterile as possible. Prayers now directed toward that leg problem.

JennyB 08-31-2012 06:42 PM

Lots of prayers wishes and anything else that could possibly help!

Jenny

Mary Jo 08-31-2012 07:28 PM

Lifting you up in prayer Chrisy! Love and hugs.

Mary Jo

Debbie L. 08-31-2012 07:47 PM

Oh my, Chris!

I will take the good news first, that you are at UCSF and that many experts are taking an interest in solving your mysteries. Yay!

But dang! NPO, surgery worries, probably "some" pain that you neglected to mention, etc. I hear you and/or read between the lines on all of that, too -- and send lots of good and healing thoughts, and love.

Debbie Laxague

cheery 08-31-2012 07:55 PM

Hi Chrisy

I've been following your posts quietly over the years (they're a great motivation to me,thanks!) but just felt that it's now time to pop in to offer my support.

Sorry to hear about the Pertuzumab and this additional side-track. Hope you'll get back on your feet soon and get that killer Pertuzumab combo!

I've got a prayer team behind me too, so yes, prayers are on the way for you! Take care

Rgds

Catherine

turtle 08-31-2012 08:48 PM

Dr. Rugo is supposed to be one of if not "the" best- and her first name, Hope, is what we all have for you- plus all the prayers in our hearts.

Good luck and keep us posted if you can- hang on tight,

turtle.