HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   thought you would like to read this--REAL HOPE OF A CURE (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43944)

Lani 02-26-2010 01:13 AM

thought you would like to read this--REAL HOPE OF A CURE

OPEN ACCESS: EDITORIAL: Whither HER2-Related Therapeutics?
[Journal of Clinical Oncology]
It is apparent that increasing knowledge of molecular signaling pathways regarding HER2/Neu amplified breast cancer biology has paved the way toward novel, innovative targeted combination therapeutics. The multiplicity of potential targets along the PI3K-AKT-mTOR or HER2-GRB7-RAC1 pathway requires careful preclinical evaluation to ensure optimal activity, minimal toxicity, and lack of resistance. The sheer multiplicity of approaches outlined above will need to correspond to measurements of driving molecular signaling pathways on an individual patient basis. In the meantime, the patient faces a panoply of HER2-directed therapies and state-of-the-art clinical trials, yielding better responses, survival, quality of life, and real hope of a cure.

Chelee 02-26-2010 03:23 AM

Re: thought you would like to read this--REAL HOPE OF A CURE

Lani,
Thanks for sharing this. It's very encouraging.

Chelee

schoolteacher 02-26-2010 06:25 AM

Thanks for the article, Lani. Hope a cure is found soon.

Amelia

Ellie F 02-26-2010 07:37 AM

Yeah!! I remember reading that an American breast onc professor last year said that he believed in 5 years no women would need to die from her 2 bc. There may not be a cure but that they would have the ability to control it.
Praying that 5 years becomes this year.
Ellie

YNieves 02-26-2010 07:49 AM

Amen to that!

1rarebird 02-26-2010 08:36 AM

Yes, there is great promise for curing this disease. We all are praying that it comes sooner than later. On the other hand, the "panoply of HER2-directed therapies" now faced by the patient is almost too much to bear at times as we try to sort them all out. Those of us who have oncologists and groups like this one that can intelligently help guide us with the choices are the fortunate ones.

Rich66 02-26-2010 12:12 PM

Can you update with a link? Sounds interesting.

I just hope they don't overlook potential pan-cancer achille's heels while swimming in the "panoply".

CourtneyL 02-26-2010 01:05 PM

Thank you, Lani!

I have been following the Herceptin/PI3 kinase inhibitor combination for a while. Check out this poster from a company named ARRAY which makes a PI3 kinase inhibitor called ARRY 380. It shows that, in lab mice, this combo had a 100% cure rate!

http://www.arraybiopharma.com/_docum...achment337.pdf

ARRY 380 is currently in clinical trial as a single agent at M.D. Anderson.

However, for those of you interested in a clinical trial combining BOTH a version of Herceptin (T-DM1) and a PI3 kinase inhibitor, Dana Farber currently has one in a Phase I trial. I met with Dr. Ian Krop in December to discuss joining but he suggested I wait until it reaches Phase II as it is coming to UCSF - where I live. Here is a link to the Dana Farber trial:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...cr=Open&rank=6

Jean 02-26-2010 01:54 PM

Lani and Courtney....
A big thank you...

These are important evidence based information and demonstrate the positive research that is being done now. We all are praying for a break through.

Chelee 02-26-2010 02:40 PM

Rich, Hope this link is what your looking for?

http://jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/full/28/7/1091

Chelee

Rich66 02-26-2010 06:01 PM

Thanks......adding dots to make post long enough....

Laurel 02-26-2010 06:25 PM

You guys have me so excited! How am I going to sleep tonight? Courtney, that is so great! Let us know if you do enter the trial. Lani, fantastic news for all of us. Thanks!

Hey, here's a thought: if they do actually find a Her-2 cure, let's all meet at an appointed hour in an appointed place somewhere in the word for a drink and chocolate! Hey, we can do both in a chocolate martini! Ha! There's the ticket!

Sheesh....I'm giddy!

Julie2 02-26-2010 08:19 PM

Courtney,

Any idea when is the trial coming to UCSF? I goto UCSF too.

thanks,
Julie

Ellie F 02-27-2010 02:22 AM

My onc has been going on about P13 inhibition each time I meet him. He is convinced that harnessing this would result in a quantum shift in treatment!!
So girls i am saving up my money so I can come and see you all if a trial becomes available!! Might even manage a chocolate with Laurel.

Hanging in there for the CURE

Ellie

Rich66 02-27-2010 02:48 AM

Ellie,
While pharma works out the patents and trials, consider Honokiol or IP-6.

Julie2 02-27-2010 11:39 AM

Rich,

Do you know where to get Honokiol or IP-6?

Thanks,
Julie

Rich66 02-27-2010 12:28 PM

Some honokiol(magnolia) sources on Google HERE
Combo with Honokiol HERE

IP-6 HERE

I have seen a form of IP-6 in Walgreens.

Seems like liposomal versions of supplements are preferrable when available.

CourtneyL 03-01-2010 03:33 PM

Laurel - I will be there to celebrate the cure with you - chocolate martini in hand! It is coming, I KNOW IT!

Julie - I asked Melisko when the trial was coming to UC and she said "a few months" so that could mean 2 or 6, I don't really know. She was going to ask Rugo. I'd ask them about it the next time you are there. Let me know what they say. I don't actually go to UC for treatment but I occasionally consult with Melisko for second opinions.

StephN 03-02-2010 02:04 PM

IP - 6 - I used to get a good one at my local GNC store. I see that there are a few different trustworthy companies offering it at my local supplements specialty store. I don't take it now.

Personally, I do not get any supplements at Walgreens. Too many formulations from who knows where. I will pay a little more for best quality after what I have been through!

Looks like some exciting trials not far down the road. Please, girls, keep us posted.

Unregistered 01-06-2011 04:16 PM

Sorry... any news about that PI3 kinase inhibitor?