HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   WHY are my feet killing me - what to do? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63697)

SoCalGal 09-02-2015 12:34 AM

WHY are my feet killing me - what to do?

I'm sure that years of her2 drugs are catching up with me. I feel like my feet are killing me all the time. They feel like I walked on burning hot sand, like they are roughed up, sore, that feeling of walking on glass. I've had similar weird sensations on my palms, related to when I was on Tykerb or xeldoa. But now just on Vitamin H plus Avastin. Sometimes the feet souls are red, other times they look shiny. I"ve tried various foot creams, epsom soaks, cold water soaks, wearing cotton sox as compared to the new smart wicking socks which seem hot to me. That's another thing now, too, my feet get hot and painful if in tennis shoes, or running shoes. Thank god I can still wear my dance shoes.

I see my team tomorrow, I feel certain no one will have an answer, suggestion or admit to another patient having the same probs.

I also feel certain that someone on this site has experienced this, and may even have an effective solution!

Look forward to your words.

Pat94 09-02-2015 04:40 AM

Re: WHY are my feet killing me - what to do?

sounds like neuropathy to me - very common. I have read recently about frozen gloves and socks to wear during treatments. I used bags of frozen veggies. That delayed but did not prevent neuropathy. Perhaps I did not put them on early enough ot use them long enough to fully work.

Carol Ann 09-02-2015 06:27 AM

It sounds like neuropathy to me too ... i have had it/still have it to a certain degree. I wear thick foam sandals most of the time that I got from land's End. Best $20 I have ever spent.

I can't walk on sidewalk/pavement for longer than a quarter mile or so without being in pain. So now for exercise I mostly do Leslie Sansone walking dvds in the house on the carpet, always wearing my walking shoes or my sandals.

I wish I could offer more than just to let you know you are not alone. :(

Carol Ann

Juls 09-02-2015 01:46 PM

Hi All
Think I have same problem.
I have spent a small fortune on shoes recently only to wear once and give away or E-bay!! I can feel every seam, texture & tiny imperfection. Just had to return an otherwise comfy leather mule because edges of insoles irritated/burned my feet. So I am guessing its neuropathy!
I have been on Herceptin now for over 2 years and would say this side effect has been worse recently.

Web MD has a list of vitamins that might help and someone told me to try massaging fingers and toes, particularly after treatment.
Only shoes that are comfy at the moment are all leather comfort mules ( Joseph Siebel) Not the prettiest but comfy!!
Juls

PinkGirl 09-02-2015 07:38 PM

I wonder what Kourtney Kardashian would do? 😝

Laurel 09-07-2015 04:49 PM

Hey Flory,

Have you ever looked into essential oils? I picked up a book on them at a local book store and found a company that isn't a MLM pyramid (Native American Nutritionals is the co.). There are some great ointments and creams you can make yourself that are truly amazing. I have one that I use for inflammation that a friend gave us and frankly I was a skeptic until I used it and was astonished. I was then prompted to look further and to purchase the ingredients to make my own cream.

Carol Ann 09-07-2015 06:18 PM

Thanks Laurel for this info ... I am going to check this out!

Carol Ann

SoCalGal 09-08-2015 12:41 AM

Consensus by NP (not my usual one) was, "sounds like neuropathy" and excitedly wanted to offer me more pills - ug, just what I do not want or need. I tried to explain it was not severe, I can't walk pain - more discomfort and wanted to know what to do or avoid, etc. She offered me no info. Eventually I'll see my doc who will at least be able to answer some questions.

Meanwhile, thanks for the suggestion, Laurel - I just ordered a couple of blends from Native American Nutritionals - seems like a good starting point!! Meantime cool water soaks seems to help. And ocean water for sure felt good :)

ele 09-08-2015 08:57 AM

I also have neuropathy. I am using zostrix cream which is over the counter and have had great results with this product.

BonnieR 09-08-2015 11:36 PM

Ocean water is the cure for everything! I wish I was near the coast. But seriously, I found that the most comfortable shoes I can wear are SAS. They are soft and don't rub anywhere. Pricey but worth the cost. Hope you get relief
Keep the faith

Laurel 09-10-2015 06:28 PM

Got my ingredients today. I hope to have time to work up a batch. I will post the recipe after I have attempted it myself thinking that I may have a few tips.