HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Trends in tumor markers (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66876)

MaineRottweilers 02-15-2018 05:41 PM

Trends in tumor markers

I had a stable scan on Monday! I can't ask for more than that. Things seem to be going great but diagnosis being what is, one must have a nagging worry at the back of your mind, right?

I have noticed my CA 27-29 trending upward since September. It's still normal but 9/17 it was 15.3, 10/17 it was 18.3, 11/17 it was 21.9. I skipped December and January (I'm not sure why) and 2/18 results at 23.0. My MO hasn't mentioned it as a trend and I haven't brought it up with her because it is still well within normal limits.

For those who monitor tumor markers and have been stable, did you notice any such trend before progression? I know I shouldn't worry when things are going so well but.... well, it's human nature, or at least my nature.

Pamelamary 02-15-2018 11:31 PM

Re: Trends in tumor markers

I try to ignore such small fluctuations in the tumour markers. When I had progression (bones to liver), my markers soared! Try not to worry too much and , when in doubt, check it out with your oncologist. So glad to hear you are currently stable - enjoy!
Best wishes..... Pam

Laurel 02-16-2018 06:42 AM

Gosh, I sure do not blame you for feeling worried! It is only natural to feel concern, but I sure do like what Pam responded! That explains your Onc's relaxed posture since your numbers are still quite low! Stayin' STABLE!!!

valleygirl 02-17-2018 02:54 PM

It's scary, mine look exactly like yours. I'm currently stable on TDM1 and Keytruda, my tumor makers have been slowly creeping up. They are still within normal limits, but I don't think they have been this high. I have asked my doctor and she is not concerned at all. It's very stressful

SoCalGal 02-17-2018 09:17 PM

My markers have always been pretty reliable, and fairly stable, bouncing around here and there. Nothing too extreme, but they were steady increasing all last year which was not shocking since I've been slow grow mets all along. I actually made a chart of my monthly markers for the past five years, and it was very reassuring to see them over the years. Somehow made it less terrifying of what they meant, since I still feel the same all this time. Hope that helps. It is not a perfect science, and as I'm re-learning, the mind, the mind, the mind must be kept on other topics :)

Becky 02-18-2018 02:27 PM

There are other reasons they can change too. Even though I have been NED all this time, mine move all around. Mostly at first up but have been in the 20s for years. Your general health, caffeine on the day the blood is taken. Probably even what you've eaten impacts the small movements. My first one after chemo was over was 8. So nice and low so when they creeped over the years to 27 or 28, it blew me away in a bad way. I think symptoms and scans will tell the best story of where you are at and just relax until your onc tells you not too.

MaineRottweilers 02-19-2018 01:31 PM

You ladies are THE BEST! I am reassured. I do try not to worry because it dampens my joy but it has a sneaky way of creeping in. Thanks for helping me to shove that worry out. Make room for JOY!