HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Herceptin/Benadryl (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57944)

SusanN 04-28-2013 10:45 AM

Herceptin/Benadryl

I had my 4th infusion of Herceptin this past Thurday.

The past infusions, as always, I'm given Benadryl capsules before Herceptin...which as more of a slower release...I would get dizzy nearly have way into my infusion, my nurse would tell me to relax and just assume I was having a "panic attack!"

This last infusion, after talking with my oncologist, he wanted to rule out Herceptin side effects/panic attacks...decided to have me wear a heart moniter. I was given Benadryl through my IV BEFORE the Herceptin this last time...
Within MINUTES, I became dizzy as before, my heart started to palpitate, I felt as if I couldn't catch my breath, my BP soared, my body was twitching...
THANK GOD I was on a heart moniter!!!
This went on nearly 25 minutes...a doctor came right away!!

I was gived Ativan, after awhile, I was able to calm down and receive the rest of my Herceptin, Docetaxol/Carbo.

My oncologist said, "No more Benadryl for her!!"

Thus, we are likely to believe I am allergic to BENADRYL!!

I did go home with a heart halter, for 48 hours...did have some heart palpitations, didn't experience many.

I will have an echo this Tues...will be very interested in the findings!

Thank you for any input anyone has had...

tricia keegan 04-28-2013 03:15 PM

Re: Herceptin/Benadryl

Susan that must have been so unpleasant for you, Benadryl only ever put me to sleep and I'm sorry you have this issue but glad they discovered it now and hope your next infusion is easier.

ElaineM 04-28-2013 03:30 PM

I am sorry you had such a scary experience. I hope you feel better soon.
I hate benadryl, because I have gotten so sleepy every time I had it.

NanaJoni 04-28-2013 04:00 PM

My first benadryl before a treatment sent me into overdrive - I jumped up out of the chair after about 2 minutes following the dose. Then I paced back and forth as far as the IV tubes would let me walk for almost 2 hours til it started to wear off. After that they gave me the benadryl verrrry slowly and it didn't happen again. Hope this is only a one-time thing for you, too.

Bunty 04-28-2013 04:39 PM

Oh that would have been very scary Susan. In Australia, prior to Herceptin treatment we are given two paracetamol tablets, which is probably less likely to cause reaction. Maybe you could try that...
Cheers Marie

'lizbeth 04-28-2013 06:26 PM

I have a terrible reaction to Benadryl. Tachycardia, High BP, literally looney toones reaction.

I also take Lecithin or DMAE to counteract any anticholinergic reactions from similar medications. I have two half brothers who are unrelated and both are allergic to Benadryl.

I have been able to tolerate Claritin for allergic reactions.

I have family from Garrison NE, are we related?

jaykay 04-29-2013 08:04 AM

I only accepted the benedryl with the full TCH infusion since I would have time to sleep it off.

I've had 2 solo Herceptin infusions and have refused the benedryl with no ill effects at all. I have also read (on the Herceptin site I think) that you can substitute Vistaril (another antihistamine) for benedryl. I've been taking Vistaril for years for itching with no problems. Maybe you can ask your oncologist if that would be any different for you than the benedryl?
Janis

SusanN 04-29-2013 10:36 AM

Thank you wonderful women for your support...knowing I'm NOT alone!!

Joni, I have to say, what a a "visual" you gave me!!! WOW!!

Lizbeth, so, Tachycardia & high BP...I DO NOT like that...and it happened...so VERY thankful I had a compassionate nurse by my side, who didn't think I was having a "panic attack!!"
Will be having an echo tomorrow...JUST to make sure all is "beating" well!! :)

Janis, I was getting solo Herceptin...now we've decided to drive an hour away, which is MUCH better care...however, my treatment changes to the "full TCH"...I guess I'll have to see how my body reacts...4 more treatments to go...

I'll make it...I WILL DO THIS!!!! I AM DOING IT!!!!