HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What are the chances? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57057)

lasarles 01-14-2013 03:05 PM

What are the chances?

What are the chances that a second lump in the same breast, will be identical to the original dx. Meaning, her2+ and er/pr+?

roz123 01-14-2013 03:33 PM

Re: What are the chances?

hi there
I "know" 2 virtual friends who had a new diagnosis of BC after being treated for her2 positive BC - both were within 1.5 yrs from diagnosis/treatment. Interestingly both of the new cancers were er/pr+ but her2-, so it can change IF its a new primary
if you had a lumpectomy and the receptors/her2 status are the same then it may be a reaccurance of the first cancer and not a new primary

lasarles 01-14-2013 04:20 PM

I meet with my breast surgeon next week to have a very small (bb size) lump checked out. It's located about 4 inches from where my original tumor was. Trying not to worry too much, as It's hard for me to imagine anything forming with the Chemo, Herceptin, tamoxifen....you name it. Mammogram, CT scan and whole body bone scan were done in Oct and Nov and were clear.

roz123 01-14-2013 04:34 PM

I think the chances that this is a B9 lump is pretty high....you just finished treatment...it will be fine!

europa 01-14-2013 04:36 PM

Same thing happened to me. While undergoing radiation, my Radiology Oncologist found 3 lumps in my other breast. I was rushed to get a mammogram, ultrasound and those three lumps turned out to be cysts. You'll be fine.

tricia keegan 01-14-2013 07:05 PM

I'm guessing this is something that was missed the first time sadly, same thing happened with my friend but hoping for B9!!!

CoolBreeze 01-14-2013 07:17 PM

I had a lump in my other breast right after treatment. It was not cancer, but changes caused by tamoxifen. Ig can change the density of your breasts and make things show up that were always there or appear. One of my cysts blew up like a balloon!

I just HOPE that is what is going on with you. If not, they should check your "stats" because yes, they can change. I think that is normal to do.

lasarles 01-14-2013 09:50 PM

When I had my last mammogram in Nov my breast oncologist said the tamoxifen was already affecting the denseness of my breast, pictures were much clearer. Hoping this new issue is just due to tamoxifen. Thank you all for your responses and encouragement. I will keep you posted when I find out.

Lien 01-16-2013 06:56 AM

I've had several cysts and a biopsy since my diagnosis. Good chance yours is benign too.

Keeping everything crossable crossed for you. Please let us know asap!

Jacqueline

Pray 01-19-2013 01:52 AM

Hoping and praying all will go well!

Joanne S 01-26-2013 08:00 PM

Hope it's benign! Keep us posted!

lasarles 01-27-2013 10:34 AM

Hi Joanne/Ladies,
I met with my Breast Oncologist last week. She is not too worried, as she believes it's all part of the lymphatic channel and post-op related scar tissue. However, she suggested that I go ahead and have my yearly mammogram and ultrasound just to be sure, scheduled for Jan 31st. Will keep you posted. Take care.

Lien 01-27-2013 11:04 AM

I'm also a member of the BCList, where someone once accidentally wrote: Scare tissue. That's what we call it now, when there's fear of a recurrence. As in: It's probably scare tissue.

Hope yours is too.

Love

Jacqueline

lasarles 01-27-2013 05:27 PM

That is too funny. I've got to remember that one. Thanks for sharing :)

lasarles 01-31-2013 10:12 PM

Hi All, I had my mammogram and ultrasound today. Both the technician and Dr could feel what I was feeling but nothing showed on the pictures. I guess just "scare" tissue....Hehe. I am very relieved and thankful. Hope you are all doin well and thanks for all your kind words and encouragement. :)

Lien 02-01-2013 02:02 AM

Yeah! for Scare Tissue! May it be a phrase we get to use a lot on this board! Happy for you!

Jacqueline

Jackie07 02-01-2013 02:04 AM

That is wonderful! Fantastic news!

I'm glad they did an ultrasound to confirm it. My recurrence was not found for almost 4 years because nobody bothered to double check with an ultrasound (and nobody had even informed me there's 'scar tissue'!)

Once we enter cancerland, these kind of 'scares' are just unavoidable.