HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   brain mets have arrived (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46686)

jhandley 09-11-2010 10:52 PM

brain mets have arrived

Hi all
I have some brain mets so would appreciate any advice. Seeing the onc to morrow.
Jackie (down under)

Chelee 09-11-2010 11:25 PM

Re: brain mets have arrived

Jackie,
I could just scream...I hate this disease. I'm so sorry to hear your news. Although I can't offer any help I know many others here can. It will help the others to know how many mets your dealing with, & the size? I think several here have had good results with Gamma Knife? I'm sure they will be along shortly. Again I am so sorry about this rotten news. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelee

SoCalGal 09-11-2010 11:29 PM

Gamma knife. Zap em away. Very easy and effective if you are a good candidate. Stay strong - many here, including our founder Christine, have survived brain mets.
Flori

StephN 09-11-2010 11:37 PM

Dear Jackie -
OH! I am so bummed to hear this development. Running into walls was a sign.

You may try the temador/xeloda combo that held Pattyz for so long, along with the targeted zapping. Or have your brain treated including gamma knife for the larger two spots.

Please hold tight to the knowedge that you will get through this, and the initial kick in the gut feeling will soften as soon as you have a plan to go with.

My best thoughts for healing energy heading your way down under.

hutchibk 09-12-2010 12:14 AM

Don't know if you have access to Tykerb down under yet, but if so, perhaps consider making a systemic change first, before radiation. That's what I did. I had 5 small mets and multiple punctates (pin prick sized seeds). We switched my treatment to Tykerb/Xeloda when I was dxed w/ my brain mets, and made a commitment to MRI every month for a few months to see what results we would get. My brain mets resolved and "went to sleep" for about 18 months with that treatment alone. Four of them decided to wake back up 18 months later, but the multiple punctates were wiped out by the Tykerb, so we then did IMRT targeted radiotherapy (similar to Gamma and Cyber, but my radiation onc likes it better having worked with all of them). It was 5 consecutive days of high dose targeted radiation and ZAP, they were gone never to be heard from again, except for the 5th rogue one which woke up a year later (last summer), which we zapped, now gone... I get a brain MRI every 4-6 months and all has been staying clear. We call it the whack-a-mole method. I am still on Tykerb, now with Herceptin and tamoxifen.

I chose this particular path in partnership and very close consultation of my oncologist and radiation oncologist working hand in hand. I was my onc's first patient on Tykerb, but he is sensitive to the desire to avoid WBR if possible... and I wanted to avoid WBR at all costs, if possible. I am THRILLED with the results to this point and wonder if other oncs have offered their patients this path as an option?

Jackie07 09-12-2010 12:23 AM

According to the following article, whole brain radiation has been improved dramatically and is effective without much side effect:

Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2010 Jul 13. [Epub ahead of print]
Whole-brain radiation therapy in breast cancer patients with brain metastases.

Chargari C, Campana F, Pierga JY, Védrine L, Ricard D, Le Moulec S, Fourquet A, Kirova YM.
Medical and Radiation Oncology Unit, Hôpital d'Instruction des Armées du Val-de-Grâce, 74 Boulevard de Port Royal, 75230 Paris Cedex 5, France.
Abstract

Over the past 10 years, improving the outcome of breast cancer patients with brain metastases has become an important challenge. The suboptimal results of whole-brain radiation therapy (WBRT) in these patients have led to the development of irradiation modalities with new technical and biological approaches. By ensuring better sparing of critical organs such as the hippocampus, highly conformal irradiation therapy may partially preserve long-term neurocognitive functions. An additional radiation boost to the tumor bed improves local control. Radiosensitizing agents and radioprotectors that modify response to radiation have also been designed to improve the efficacy of treatment or prevent neurological toxicity. This Review outlines the current strategies and novel developments in WBRT, with a particular focus on new irradiation modalities and experiences of radiosensitization.

PMID: 20625374 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Rich66 09-12-2010 12:26 AM

Aaarg!
Some brain mets info/options/contacts HERE
General radiation info HERE

michka 09-12-2010 01:13 AM

Sending Hugs Jackie. Michka

Trish 09-12-2010 03:22 AM

Exactly what we didn't want to hear but it seems there are a lot of people on this site who are thriving despite brain mets. Glad people have been able to provide advice re treatment options. Re Tykerb, we do have access to it here but the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme only funds it in combination with Xeloda and only so long as you show no progression. The real sting in the tail though is that once you have had Tykerb PBS will no longer fund Herceptin (meaning Tykerb/ Herceptin is not a funded option unless you can appeal to the generosity of Genetench and GSK.) However I got a good year of no progression of my liver mets from Tykerb/Xeloda but now am facing having to pay for Tykerb which is in the order of $250/week. Thankfully you don't need to worry about that at this point but you do have to think carefully and/or exhaust all other options before switching to Tykerb in the Australian context. So sorry to hear that news but am thinking and hoping things will go well,
Trish

Ellie F 09-12-2010 04:11 AM

Jackie
I am just gutted.Been hoping that the symptoms were nothing sinister. I know you will get some good advice here from many of our long term survivors.
We are all with you.

Ellie

Pam P 09-12-2010 04:58 AM

Jackie - So sorry to read this news, but am glad several people with experience have written with their tx and effective results. When you see the doctor you'll have some more ideas for questions for him to get the best tx. Stay strong and remember many people here have conquered brain mets. Pam

tricia keegan 09-12-2010 06:20 AM

Sorry to hear this Jackie and glad so many have been able to advise you, stay strong and take inspiration from those that have been where you are and came through. x

ammebarb 09-12-2010 07:13 AM

No advice, Jackie. Just sending along my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have a plan when you see your onc. Hugs.

Barb A.

caya 09-12-2010 07:38 AM

Oh, Jackie, I am stunned to hear this. No advice from me either, just sending many hugs and prayers.
Seems like you got some great suggestions from some of the gals/guys here.

all the best
caya

Darlene Denise 09-12-2010 08:28 AM

Jackie: This is just really shitty news. A complication that you didn't need or deserve!! I will remain hopeful you can attack the bastards with Gamma or Cyberknife. Keep us informed and we will keep you in our thoughts!!

Barbara2 09-12-2010 11:35 AM

Jackie I am so sorry for this. You have received some good tips from members and probably will get more. We pray for a treatment that will get rid of the mets permanantly. Modern times have led us to better treatments with each year that passes.

I have a her2+ friend who had a good sized brain met about 4 years ago and it has not returned; it was cut out, but I dont know by what process. She also had WBR.

Praying for your healing.

Mary Anne in TX 09-12-2010 01:24 PM

Jackie, I want to add my support and confidence that you can do this! You've got the smartest warriors on the planet to give you advice and suggestions and you've proved what a warrior you are yourself. ma

lexigirl 09-12-2010 06:28 PM

Oh no! I am sorry that you have been diagnosed w/ brain mets. There are some good proven txs to destroy the suckers. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers right now.

Hugs,
Lexi

flynny 09-12-2010 06:42 PM

Yuck, yuck, yuck! I really hate to hear this news. There are so many amazing women on this board that have so much information to offer. Take advantage of all their experiences. Sending you big hugs.

Laurel 09-12-2010 06:47 PM

Oh, Jackie, I am so bummed to hear your news! This just sucks!!!!!!!! That said, you know as well as I do there are many on this site who have kept their brain mets at bay with treatment, some with extended remissions. All is not lost, and there is much reason to remain very hopeful! Sending prayers heavenward for your healing.