HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The View Show Today (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54888)

Firework 06-25-2012 03:30 PM

The View Show Today

I felt Maura Tierney could have done so much more on the show today. She's a survivor, bi-lat mast and HER 2 +.
I thought this is great somebody famous is gonna speak out about there being different types of breast cancer!
Instead it was hardly an afterthought and the interview fell apart after a member of the view quoted incorrect chemo maker's name. Maura's point was not made or the point was she'll be on The Good Wife later this year.....a real missed opportunity.

jml 06-25-2012 06:27 PM

Ugh!Re: The View Show Today

I agree - total missed opportunity to educate and empower the viewers. It's almost like she was reluctant guest, and as I sit here, I can't even remember the name of her charity?
I understand if she wants to keep the specific details of her own diagnosis private, but then why even bother going on TV to so dispassionately bring up the subject.
I was baffled by her appearance but imagine "her" charity is even more disappointed.

KDR 06-25-2012 06:44 PM

Re: The View Show Today

http://chemomythsorfacts.com/
Watched the clip and forwarded here.
Karen

suzan w 06-26-2012 11:08 AM

I agree totally. Next time, one of us will go on the show!!!

Vicki revised 06-27-2012 12:34 PM

I missed the show but just finished Elizabeth Edwards' last book and the afterward. It was apparent to me she was HER2+ but she never mentionned the specifics of her cancer or treatments. I read her explanation for being vague but what a HUGE missed opportunity to educate the public about HER2+, which most people have never heard of.

Firework 06-27-2012 01:49 PM

@Vicky, I too read Elizabeth Edwards book but only gathered she was slightly hormonal.......really made me think she was closer to being triple negative. I'm going to go back and re-read the Forward and Afterword. I must have a bit of chemo brain! that sure was a missed opportunity for the entire world to learn about HER2, she was that famous!
I read WebMD's interview with EE. It was pretty interesting. She mentioned how slack she was about getting her regular check-ups and following her meds.......
You know I would really like to know the pathology on everyone's bc! These famous people like the Gilian and Bill, come out in People magazine and announce they have bc and it gives the impression there's only one type....it fuels the misnomer IF you catch it early, you can be cured!
Oy vey!
Lorraine

Vicki revised 06-27-2012 02:09 PM

I noticed that EE was on an IV med she received at the hosp. even after she was NED for almost a year. When it went to her bones she said she went back on that same iv med again and wondered if she shouldn't have ever stopped it. Her2+ would certainly explain the short remission as well as the aggressiveness when it returned.

I wonder about G Rancic as well but think the lack of details is to protect her career propects--they certainly don't care about keeping anything private.

jml 06-27-2012 02:30 PM

Clearly, the "Personality" is what's newsworthy and not the disease, and even if these Survivors are offering details of their disease it's likely that those details are too mundane for primetime television.
And Lorraine is spot on - without these details the general public does view BC as one disease, not a complex of different variables, and over simplifies how we are going to find a CURE.
I have written to the Ellen De Generes show-who purports such an exhibition of BC support- on 3 occassions appealing to her to tell the story of Stage IV patients, that we live active, happy lives, with our disease, inspite of our disease and most importantly if 10 years ago, or if ever, I had seen MY story on her show or any tv program I might have been spared a sleepless night or two and been bolstered with HOPE of truly surviving with this disease until a cure is found. Scoot over Maura Tierney!
I'll gladly be NED forever. A "cure" is just semantics~

Keeping the Faith~

Jessica