HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Update on Barb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49851)

MikeF 05-03-2011 06:28 AM

Update on Barb

I was shocked to see it had been two months since my last update, I guess time flies when your having fun ;-) Barb has gone through three taxol treatments uneventfully. Her hair is completely gone so now we look like twins.
The only other side effect is she gets very tired the week of her treatment than has an additional two weeks off. By the second week shes planting flowers outside and cooking and trying to clean the house up. She has a scheduled cat scan Thursday 5/5 and will more than likely go through three more treatments. The cancer has retreated significantly but her doctor told us shed probably need another round. After the three additional rounds another cat scan and if needed he mentioned a pill she could try. I keep seeing TDM-1 mentioned it seems we have to jump through some procedural hoops to qualify. I understand the medical community has to make sure a drug is safe before releasing it for treatment but I cant help but feel its all an insurance scam. Were praying it doesnt come to that if our God wants the taxol to work it will if not hopefully the pill (cant remember the name) will do the trick. Appreciate sooo much your prayers for Barb and our family.

greenacres 05-03-2011 09:31 AM

Re: Update on Barb

Hi there! That's the way I was with my Chemo, I'd be good about the 2nd 1/2 of the 2nd week and after the 3rd week right back on the Taxotere and Carbplatin. Can you tell me, what was the size of Barb's tumor? Did she have a mastectomy or lumpectomy and did they find it had spread right away? I'm also er-/pr-, her2+++ and her grade is the same as mine 3 (with a score of 8). Thank you and good luck to you and Barb, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

MikeF 05-03-2011 09:48 AM

Green acres; This might be easier
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47232

ElaineM 05-03-2011 11:39 AM

I am glad Barbara is doing well. Give her my best wishes for the next scan. You might be referring to either Xeloda or Tykerb. Those are the most common breast cancer pills. Sometimes they are given together. If she is interested in T DM1 you can go to clinicaltrials.gov and do a search for T DM1. That will give you a list of available trials with locations and other details.
Cheers for Barbara.

KDR 05-03-2011 01:40 PM

Hi! I did the Taxol/Herceptin protocol from July to April. I was NED in January, so it works! I had progression by April, so we are looking for a new treatment and I am in the washout phase. T/H works very timely. For me, I was good the day of and day after. The second day, I had the Decadron crash. Next day and a half...usual activities but with a lot of effort. Then, up and at the usual stuff. I tolerated it very well. Hair thinned out but grew back and that is very common on Taxol. Fingernails thin. Sore areas where tumors are being eaten up. That's about it. Glad you checked in...our very best wishes,
Karen

krisvell 05-03-2011 02:21 PM

Mike/Barb;
I just want to offer my prayers and support and reallly hope you get good results on the 5/5 scan that shows the Taxol/Herceptin is kicking the heck out of it.
Hugs,
Kris....

Jackie07 05-03-2011 04:09 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the update. Hope the scan on 5-5 will show further retreat of the cancer. T-DM1 has been delayed because FDA insisted on the strict trial protocol instead of giving it the 'fast-track' approval. We probably should bombard our senators and congressmen to get it approved and have it availble 'now'.

We will continue to pray that everything go smoothly for Barb.

Greenacres,

One way to find previous postings is to click on the hot link of the person's name above the Avatar.

flynny 05-03-2011 07:24 PM

sending you my thoughts and prayers. Keeping my fingers crossed on Barb's upcoming appointments.

Sheila 05-05-2011 06:33 AM

Will be thinking of Barb today and positive results of her scan...I did Taxol for 1 1/2 years with Herceptin and Avastin// my hair started growing while on Taxol....I hated the steroids, but they are necessary. Hoping she can see the end of treatments in site after this scan!

Catherine 05-10-2011 08:25 PM

Sending good vibes for you and Barb. The picture of Barb and your cute kids is darling. Hoping that things are going well and the right treatment is coming to Barb.

Hugs, Catherine

William B 05-11-2011 07:49 AM

Hi Mike I'm glad things are improving.You and your wife have been in my
thoughts.I hope and pray that the improvements continue. Could the pill
be xeloda or lapatinib ? They are the only two pills I know about. Thanks for the update on Barb