HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Wisdom and experience needed! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60085)

Mickey1382 01-23-2014 08:30 AM

Wisdom and experience needed!

I need some wisdom and experience. My question is, has anyone ever NOT done last chemo treatment? Onc says that the treatments are pushed as far as can be pushed. There's a small percentage of patients who don't do 6th treatment. I, if decided, would be in that percentage. I have not had a treatment for 4 weeks. I am feeling better, but sometimes tired because of low hemoglobin. I can have a transfusion to help with that, but the last treatment? That does not exclude Herceptin; would continue with that every 3 weeks. The onc is very informative, but I'm searching for feedback.

I Thanks!

Rolepaul 01-23-2014 10:15 AM

Re: Wisdom and experience needed!

The studies are not in place to determine whether the last treatment makes a difference or not. Most cancer centers prefer to do the same thing for each patient. That is why it would be best to look at whether there is any data about whether the last treatment is absolutely necessary.

Shirley 01-23-2014 02:58 PM

Hi Mickey,

The answer might depend on what your chemo mix is. Some people now do just 4 TCH treatments and others do 6. If 4 has been proven to be as effective than 6 than I don't understand why they would have you do all 6 if you were not tolerating it.

I noticed that you are stage III but you don't have any node involvement or metastasis? That would influence my decision about that last treatment too. I had a 9 cm tumor with only micrometasis in the sentinal node and I was staged at II.

Shirley

Jackie07 01-23-2014 03:29 PM

There might be a couple of percentage difference as compared to the full six rounds. Long time ago, there was a study done in England comparing 9 weeks of Herceptin to the full year schedule. And the conclusion was it's equivalent to 98% of the one year schedule.

BonnieR 01-23-2014 03:38 PM

Why are you considering this?
My onc stopped me after 4 (TCH) due to developing neuropathy in my feet. She seemed to feel that the "right" number might be arbitrary and I was going to be on Herceptin for a year. And I was early stage. I'm sure there are various factors to consider for each individual
Just don't make a decision that you will second guess later!
Keep the faith

suzan w 01-23-2014 09:19 PM

I was scheduled for 6 chemo treatments. Adriamyacin/cytoxin. 2 week intervals. After the first 2 treatments I was in bad shape. Every side effect and then some. High fever, low white blood cell count...my onc held off on treatment #3 til I «recovered» . Treatment #3 and #4 were just as bad...my onc said, "that's it...no more"' I went on to complete my year of Herceptin. So, I only got 4 of my 6 treatments. At the time, I had to have the chemo before I could get herceptin. Early stage...I actually got herceptin off label as the FDA had not yet approved it for early stage. Now researchers are saying perhaps chemo is not advised in early stage, just herceptin.
That's my story!!

Mickey1382 01-23-2014 09:59 PM

Thank you very, very, much. I decided to continue with the treatment because it's the last one, I'm not having any difficulties and I don't want to say "what if?" The Herceptin was administered today and the blood transfusion is tomorrow. I am thankful and this information was very helpful. The last chemo (T&C) will be Tuesday. Herceptin until the end of September. I'm good but was very doubtful earlier today when given the options. Again, thanks.

roz123 01-24-2014 07:14 AM

they can also reduce your dose up to 15% if you are having a tough time...doesn't sound like a lot but for me it made a HUGE difference in tolerating taxotere