HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Sleepness nights after chemo (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32812)

Faith in Him 02-27-2008 01:26 AM

Sleepness nights after chemo

I had chemo today so I am unable to sleep. I think the pre-meds are to blame. Has anyone who has had this problem taken meds to help them sleep on chemo days?

I only have vacodine and Xanax in the house and I don't know if these would work.

Thanks,
Tonya

Sheila 02-27-2008 05:16 AM

Tonya
What premeds are you getting...chances are, if you are getting a steroid, you feel wired for a couple days....mine hits the night of chemo, and lasts for 3-4 days straight, the I get it out of my system. My Dr ordered Ambien, although i rarely take it...just don't want to do the sleeping pill thing...some have had great luck with Lunesta, also a prescription. Start by taking a Xanax, and see if it helps...the Vicodin will make you sleepy usually, but is more for pain...just don't mix the 2 or mix with alcohol.....hope this helps, sweet dreams

PinkGirl 02-27-2008 07:27 AM

Hi Faith
I had this problem too. The first
night was the worst one. My chemo
nurse suggested taking an Ativan at
bedtime - it did help me sleep but my
husband told me that my arms and legs
moved all night - like I was running a
marathon. I am careful with the Ativan
and only took it for the first few nights
after a treatment.

Hope you find something that helps. You
need your sleep. Good luck with this.

MJo 02-27-2008 08:14 AM

I stayed awake many nights during chemo. I'm sure the premeds had something to do with it, but I also think chemo turns our bodies inside out and upside down. Any positives? There are some great movies on at 3 a.m.

Carol Carlson 02-27-2008 09:44 AM

I'm a bit of an insomniac anyway, so when I was on chemo, my Dr. gave me Ambien which worked well. Her feeling was that " you need your sleep" while going through chemo. A good night's sleep is important and helps you heal .But like anything , else, moderation and common sense is key. I stopped taking it after chemo but still have a prescription for it and if I have a particularly difficult night sleepng, I'll take one.
Talk to your doctor about it. They all differ as to their opinions re: taking something for sleep. Some hand them out like M&M's while others are overly cautious about the risk of addiction.
Mine is kind of common sense about it and so am I. Use it but don't abuse it I guess is good advice.
Good luck.
Carol C.

Emelie 02-27-2008 10:07 AM

I took Ambien after a minor surgical procedure and used it during chemo. It worked great for me. I only take it now if I haven't slept for several days in a row due to hot flashes, and stress.
Talk to your doctor and let them know you are having difficulty sleeping. I am sure they can help you with this problem
Good luck,
Emelie

TSund 02-27-2008 01:55 PM

Perhaps Benadryl at bedtime? Since this often given with chemo should not hurt.

Melatonin will help a little and is a good supplement for bc.

Also...if you are not experiencing nausea, etc. you could ask that the steroid doasage be cut back. Ruth did so, and things were much better.

TRS

Chelee 02-27-2008 01:58 PM

Tonya, Those pre-meds will keep you wired up a bit for a couple days. So yes...the problem of sleeping is very common while going through chemo. Sleep is important so I would try your xanax first...that should help. If not *most* onc's are good about making sure you have something to help you sleep. So if the xanax doesn't work ask your onc about it. Many like the Ambiem but for me that didn't work at all. Ambiem is really to help you fall asleep...but not keep you asleep. Actually there is a newer version of Ambiem so it might be better then what I tried.

The xanax and Ativan worked the best for me. But you will want to try something because its bad enough going through chemo without having to worry about not getting any sleep. Again...this is a very common problem so tell your onc if the xanax doesn't do it. Hang in there.

Chelee

Lolly 02-27-2008 06:18 PM

I takd 2 mg of melatonin and 25 mg of benedryl about an hour before bedtime. It usually works pretty well, even on chemo nights after pre-meds which for me include steroids. Check with your onc first.

<3 Lolly

Bill 02-27-2008 06:36 PM

Hi Tonya, i know the not sleeping thing can be miserable. You've already gotten alot of great advice from the sisters. I think trying to reduce the premed steroid a little might help. Just a couple thoughts from me. I don't know what your routine is after chemo., and I know you have young children, but maybe, on chemo nights, if you don't already, you could just slip into a nice, hot bath, with fragrant candles lit and nice soft music playing, and after your bath, take an Ambien or melatonin tablet with a soothing cup of herbal tea and slip right into bed (Maybe preheated with an electric blanket) Your husband seems like a wonderful man. Perhaps on chemo. night, if it works for you and your family, it could be "pizza and movie night" or whatever, for him and the kids while you relax. I have sleep apnea, and we used to let our Rottweiler, Wyatt, sleep in our bedroom, and he would bang around all night, and once I went to sleep and then "got woke up" I had a terrible time going back to sleep. If this is similar to your situation, maybe your husband could "camp out" with the kids in the living room and give you more quiet time in the bedroom as you try to relax. Uh oh, please don't think I'm comparing your husband to a big dog, because I'm not, I just meant if you have the room to yourself and go through a relaxation process, you might be able to relax and stay asleep better. Nikki used to play a CD of "ocean music" set to replay over and over of waves crashing on the beach, gulls, etc. and it was soothing and relaxing. Also, if changing your day of treatment might help, consider that. Love and prayers to you, Bill

harrie 03-02-2008 12:37 AM

The premed decadron made sleeping difficult for me. Benedryl helped or else a night-time sleep aid (OTC) such as Sominex (the active ingredient is the same as Benedryl).
Maryanne

weezie1053 03-03-2008 01:03 AM

I worked during my chemo, and it was hard enough to function with chemo brain, but no sleep was even tougher. I followed the advise of many of these ladies and decided quality of life would improve a sleep aid. My Onc prescribed Ambien, and it worked like a charm. I often broke it in half.

Good Luck

Louise

tousled1 03-03-2008 06:06 AM

Tonya,

It is quite normal not to be able to sleep for a day or two following chemo. It's from the steroid (usually decadron) that is given as a premed. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor for something to help you sleep. I have tried Lunesta, Ambien and Rozeram. I found that the AmbienCR worked the best. It not only let you get to sleep it actually gave me a good night's sleep. I still use it on occasion -- you know the nights when the mind just won't shut down.

goops 03-03-2008 06:07 AM

I had the trouble when I was on A/C - I told the chemo nurses and they prescribed a anti-nausea drug that also made you sleepy. I only used it at night. I cannot remember the name of the drug, but if you your oncologist they could likely give you something similar.

When I started to take tomixifen I had trouble sleeping because of the hot flashes. Melatonin has helped me sleep better.

donocco 10-28-2018 12:05 PM

Re: Sleepness nights after chemo

The name of the anti-nausea drug that causes drowsiness probably was Ativan, generic name Lorazepam.

jaykay 10-31-2018 08:49 AM

I believe the drug is zofran for nausea. Ativan for stress relief, sleeping aid. Similar to Valium

donocco 10-31-2018 10:33 AM

You are correct that Ativan is technically not an anti-nausea drug. Some cases of nausea and vomiting are partly psychological. The patient remembers past nausea and vomiting and
anticipates the next round. Mind can be stronger than body sometimes. Even if they are premedicated with say Zofran or Kytril they still feel nausea with the chemo. Yes Ativan is very much like Valium. They both belong to a class of chemicals called Benzodiazepines. This class includes Xanax, Dalmane, Klonopin etc etc

Lucy 11-01-2018 01:18 PM

I had no problems sleeping when on chemo and getting steroids. In fact I had problems staying awake. I was sleeping 16-20 hours a day. I wonder if there's a difference in dose or brand of drugs from when this thread was started to now? This thread was started ten years ago and I was on chemo in 2014.

JessicaV 11-05-2018 05:23 AM

I was on chemo in 2014. I found the steroid premed my oncologist prescribed (Methasone) had me wired from the day before my chemo until the day after it. Then I slowly sank down into exhaustion and misery. So I used that high-energy to make a fun picnic to take with me to chemo and share with my daughter who came with me, and prepared myself for the total low point of despair I knew was coming two days later. Sleep was often a problem for the first 8-10 days. I remember bad nights meant watching each hour on the clock from 9pm to 8am, and I was so grateful to have good books to get me through. After that, I would start to feel normal and know I was about to go through it all again.
I celebrate the courage of every one of us who gets herself through this challenging process out of determination to stay alive a bit longer against all odds.