HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Profiles In Courage (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Questions about the dreaded hair loss?? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58546)

Laurie7 07-11-2013 05:41 PM

Questions about the dreaded hair loss??

Ok so how do I ask this without seeming completely vain? Ill just get to the point. I am on new meds which causes complete hair loss (eyebrows/lashes as well) did anybody ever try falsies when their eyelashes fell out?? I lost them before back in 2006, I mean I know all about it, but was just curious if anyone's tried them and if so, any success??

karen z 07-11-2013 07:34 PM

Re: Questions about the dreaded hair loss??

Hi. No, when I was on chemo in 2005 (very similar drugs to you) I lost nearly all of my hair on my head and eventually all body hair and (the last too go) nearly all eyelashes and eyebrows. I could handle trying (sometimes) to come up with some eyebrows but left the lash situation alone. Of course by then my dry eyes had gotten so bad on chemo I was out of the type of contact lenses I had worn for years and was wearing glasses. I think that helped actually as I felt less self-conscious.

Jackie07 07-13-2013 03:20 AM

I've heard/read that T-DM1 does not cause as much side effects/hair loss as the regular Herceptin. Check out (use the 'Search' button) the T-DM1 threads for details.

Cat 07-13-2013 04:40 AM

I don't think it's vain. I thnk we want to hold on to whatever feminity that we can.
I would worry about an infection so I went with eyeliner and got pretty good with it. I found if I use the gel with a brush (loreal) it is gentler and smudge it with a powder liner (sonia kachuk, target) it looks pretty good. I started having fun with it too. I don't know if people were being kind but I had a number of compliments on my pretty eyes.

jaykay 07-13-2013 06:14 AM

I hear you! I was more concerned about losing my eyebrows/eyelashes than my hair. After all, that's what wigs are for!

Eyebrows got really sparse but never lost all of them so could still fill them in with eyebrow pencil and no stencil. Never lost all my lashes.

Like Karen, I stopped wearing my contact lenses, so my glasses hid the brows and lashes. Plus, the bangs on the wig provided great coverage!

'lizbeth 07-13-2013 12:13 PM

Oh . . . I never had the best eyelashes, but gluing on the lashes is just so challenging. Practice, Practice.

My brows came in thinner, and I draw little lines in with pencil and smudge. It makes me feel I look younger, and I can change the color of my brows (fun!).

I started wearing glasses too. I think they help create a more balanced look.

It isn't just vanity, having hair, brows and lashes makes me feel more comfortable.

After all, we are girls and we like to look pretty!