HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Update on heart issues (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36040)

Pam P 10-09-2008 08:18 PM

Update on heart issues

A bit of good news from my oncologist. He got the report on the stress test I had on Tuesday. He said the report looks good & doesn't think 'there's anything to worry about'; of course he wants to 'consult with the cardiologist on her assessment.'

And I'm actually breathing better than I was 2 weeks ago. The only 2 things that have changed: 1) I haven't had a tx of avastin now for 4 weeks, and 2) my blood pressure has come down to close to normal since I've been on the b/p medication (a condition caused by the avastin).

I think avastin is the cause of theshortness of breath, the pericardial fluid, the low LVEF, and the compromised heart wall pumping that showed up on the echo. I'll have another echo next week to see if anything is better.

I assumed that I'd be discontinuing the avastin. But my oncologist said that he'd like me to be able to resume the avastin with the taxol since the combo is working well on the cancer. He thinks by regulating the b/p with meds & taking a beta blocker - newly prescribed, that the avastin shouldn't cause harm. I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with that - this was a pretty big scare for me. However, I sure don't want to stop a cancer fighting drug that is working well. No simple choices. I'll see what the cardiologist thinks when I see her after the next echo.

And - more good news -- my grandbaby, Alma was born on 10-8. And, of course, she's perfect!

Faith in Him 10-09-2008 10:08 PM

Congratulations on your new grandchild.

I hope the other issues get resloved quickly for you.

Tonya

Bill 10-09-2008 10:43 PM

Hi Pam! Thanks for sharing the good news. You keep doing what you're doing and give little Alma a peck on the fore-head for me.

Sheila 10-10-2008 04:04 AM

Pam
I woke up this morning wondering how you were doing...you were on my mind and here is your post...I am so happy everything appeared normal. We have enough on our plate...we don't need extra worries. I had very high B/P on Avastin....it continued even on the meds and continually rose. After 6 months, I went off Avastin, my onc. felt i had received maximum benefit. I could always revisit it if needed. Hoping that the new B/P meds will make a huge difference. I seem to get shortness of breath the day of and a day or 2 after the Taxol lately....I am now on Lasix the day after...seems to help get rid of extra fluid. Don't be surprised that while you are on a beta blocker, you will feel very tired...it really slows the heart action down. Also, it is a drug you cannot quit taking abruptly, you must be weaned off of it. Congrats on the new grandaughter....what a lucky little girl to have such a great Grandma!
Love and Big Hugs Pam!

Vi Schorpp 10-10-2008 07:47 AM

Things are getting

better for you Pam, and congratulations on a new grandbaby, it doesn't get sweeter than that. I'm glad you are doing well breathing wise, and just feeling better overall. Take care and enjoy Alma! Is she the cutest angel baby in the world? I thought so.

Terri B 10-10-2008 08:01 AM

Pam,

Thank goodness you are doing better!

Congrats on the Grandbaby! I'm about to be a Grammy for the first time in December! I'm starting to get a little excited!

juanita 10-11-2008 06:32 PM

congratulations on the grandbaby. we want pix as soon as you can. glad you got good news from your onc.