HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   scan and doctor update (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51105)

Pam P 08-19-2011 06:23 AM

scan and doctor update

I saw the oncologist Thursday. Good news - echo is normal - it always is. Brain MRI looked better than in May - still multiple spots though. Not good: MRI lumbar sacra spine - lots of mets - may be contributing to leg pain.

I have radiation starting Monday on my lumbar and sacral spine. That touches on the lower abdomen and can cause nausea and other gastro problems - diarrhea , constipation. I still have 1 week to go with the femur so the 1st week will be on both areas. Wish they had decided this in the beginning so I could have been done with it all in a week.

PET/CT shows mild progression in all areas - "diffuse met disease in all bony area." CA2729 is up to 5500 from 4700 3 weeks ago.

I'm off halven and will start abaxane, herceptin, zomets on Sept.1

I asked about tdm1 and he said I'd have a rough time getting in with my current brain MRI. I might still call and ask.

I broke down and started to drink boost & ensure. Do not like the taste but am tolerating it. At least I get a few more calories that way.

He's usually a jovial guy; he was very somber. As he was looking at the list of drugs he said - "you are running out of options." Hard to here.

Meanwhile the pain in my left thigh is no better. That radiation isn't doing a thing yet. I was getting by on ibuprofin but now sometimes take oxycodone but only when I know I can sleep.

That's my update still trying to process it all - it keeps getting worse. Love you all pam

Mary L 08-19-2011 09:32 AM

Re: scan and doctor update

Pam, I haven't been on this site for awhile and I was so sad to hear that you are still having so much pain & progression. I so hoped that they would be able to get this under control. I will be praying for you and I send my best wishes. Mary L

ElaineM 08-19-2011 10:20 AM

Great news on your heart. It is good to have a nice strong heart. Not so good news on the other things.
Good luck with the additional radiation. Maybe the Herceptin and Abraxane will kick some of the cancer to the curb. I hope so.
I was reading an article about combining Herceptin, Tykerb and Taxol (Abraxane is actually Taxol with a different easier to tolerate binder.)It is supposed to be a great combo too. You haven't had Herceptin in awhile. Maybe adding it now will surprise the cancer to the point it will give up. I hope so.
If you have a blender and you or someone else has the energy to add some fruit, fruit juice, yoghurt, almond milk or regular milk to the Ensure and blend it all together it might taste better. You could throw in some protein powder or some Carnation instant breakfast drink for variety too. It would give you some extra nutrition and protein. I don't know if they still make it, but Boost used to have some good berry or tropical fruit flavored juice. When I don't feel like making a full breakfast I mix a package of instant oatmeal, with hot water and some dried fruit for a pretty healthy start to the day. I eat that with some yoghurt. In fact a cup of yoghurt makes a great snack too.
We are all keeping our fingers crossed for you Pam. Hang in there. New drugs and new drug combinations will be on the market soon.
Take good care of yourself. Good luck with everything.

caya 08-19-2011 01:03 PM

Pam, I am also sorry to hear of progression. Hoping the new drug combo will surprise the mets and destroy them. I'm sure it was tough to hear, but remember, when you're going through hell, just keep going.

all the best
caya

Barbara H. 08-19-2011 02:05 PM

HI Pam,
I am sorry to hear this latest news. Once you finish the radiation and begin the new chemo, perhaps you can look into the treatment plan that Courtney is using to try and tackle the brain mets. After you get them under control you would have a better chance of getting into a T-DM1 Trial. This drug really took care of my bone mets. I have a feeling that it could work wonders for you.
My thoughts continue to be with you.
Barbara H.

hutchibk 08-19-2011 03:25 PM

Hi Pam... here's the sentence about brain mets exclusion for TDM1 EAP: Brain metastases that are untreated or progressive or currently require any type of therapy, including radiation, surgery, and/or steroids to control symptoms from brain metastases within 30 days before the first study treatment.

If you think you are interested in getting the ball rolling just as a back up, it might be wise to talk to the clinic in Iowa and see how they interpret it in your case. (before Sept 6)

Glad you got good news! Hope you start to feel better and less pain very soon!

Dianedack 08-19-2011 07:32 PM

Hi Pam

Sorry to hear your news. Hopefully the new chemo/radiation will get things under control. I have swelling around my treated brain met so I have weakness in my right arm & leg which is making life difficult so back on steriods. I have an MRI to the brain booked for next week also CT of the body had a break from Chemo this week just herceptin & Zometa. Like you I am fed up but you just have to keep going and hopefully things will work out. Thinking of you all the time. With my love Dianexx

Pray 08-19-2011 11:33 PM

Pam and Diane, My heart and prayers go out to you both!

Keep the faith!

Trish 08-20-2011 01:26 AM

Pam
All the best with the next options. Hoping TDM-1 is one of them-I'm a bit hopeful based on what Brenda posted. I got nearly a progression free year out of Abraxane so am hopeful it will be good for you.
Diane
So sorry to hear about the arm and leg weakness and I hope the MRI goes OK.
Thinking of you both with love
Trish

krisvell 08-20-2011 05:25 AM

Pam,
I hope the new treatment works and stops the progression. Just want you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love & Hugs,
Kris....

Mary Jo 08-20-2011 06:43 AM

Hi Pam.....Nothing else to offer than everyone else hasn't but I did want to offer you my cyber hug. It's from me to you, with love.

Mary Jo

Pinay88 08-20-2011 01:31 PM

Pam,
I have no other words to say except that I will be praying for you always...for your strength, resilience and hope. Lots of hugs and love to your way..

LoisLane 08-20-2011 02:11 PM

Pam you are in my thoughts and prayers, I wish you continued strength and hope soon
that treatment will succeed in these setbacks.

pibikay 08-21-2011 02:35 AM

Pam, the hews is good.

Sheila 08-22-2011 10:40 AM

Pam
Sending positive thoughts that the new regime will be the one.....kind of like the old story, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your prince.

I am impressed that you are doing the boost and ensure....considering how it tastes. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers for good news!

schoolteacher 08-22-2011 02:01 PM

Pam,

Hope to hear from you soon.

Amelia

jml 08-23-2011 03:05 PM

Sending hugs and hope you're resting easy.
Good news about the heart and brain and I pray and cross fingers, toes, heart & mind that the TDM1 route is open for you.
Will be waiting to hear an update when you have a chance.
Hugs to you~

Keep the Faith

Jml

KristinSchwick 08-23-2011 03:38 PM

Pam,
I'll keep you and your medical team in my prayers. Has your doctor said anything about pertuzumab? Its like herceptin and tykerb in that it targets the Her2 protein. Keep the faith.
(Hugs)
Kristin

Lani 08-23-2011 03:41 PM

Pam there is a recently approved drug for bone mets from breast cancer which works at least as well as Zometa, and probably better. It is called denosumab. If you put it in the search function above and put Lani in too, I think I have posted about it. It works differently than bisphosphonates--perhaps worth inquiring about ...
Hope this helps

KristinSchwick 08-23-2011 06:25 PM

I agree with Lani, denosumab (aka Xgeva) is as good as bisphosphonates minus some of the side effects. It is given as a shot every month- I have had good luck with it.