HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Any suggestions for severe heartburn (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57067)

Carrie 01-15-2013 08:27 PM

Any suggestions for severe heartburn

Hello, I started my TCH Monday the 14th. Since then I've been having pretty bad heartburn, anyone have any suggestions to aleave this problem.

Gerri 01-15-2013 09:28 PM

Re: Any suggestions for severe heartburn

Hi Carrie,

I did not do TCH but had severe heartburn with ACT. I took an over the counter antacid and told my onc about it the next time I saw her. She made a point of telling me that I should always check with her before I take anything while in treatment. Call your onc's office in the morning and get your onc's recommendation and approval before you do anything.

Good luck!

lasarles 01-15-2013 09:29 PM

I also got very bad heartburn going through Chemo. I told my oncologist and he wrote me out a prescription for the generic brand of prilosec. It worked...good luck.

hestko76 01-16-2013 07:18 AM

I, too developed heart burn during chemo. So my oncologist put me on generic of prilosec. I have tried to go off of the med, but no such luck yet...... So, I still take it every day, and I'm heart burn free!

Vicky 01-16-2013 08:44 AM

Yes, I had a long history with heartburn even before I started treatment. I also have a prescription for Omeprazole, or you can get it over the counter at any pharmacy. But when I had radiation it really gave me problems again. My onc prescribed Carafate and that really helped.

sarah 01-16-2013 11:17 AM

Definitely ask your doctor to prescribe something, heart burn can cause problems to your esophagus if not taken care of and it's easy to treat. Even Maalox can help. I've used liquid Maalox. I'm now taking Inexium due to radiation caused problems but that's another story.
take care
sarah

greenacres 01-16-2013 11:56 AM

Hi there. Yes, request a prescription from your Dr./Nurse for Omeprazole. It's does WONDERS while on Chemo and it still does great for me two years out when I have heartburn. :) GOOD LUCK

Laurel 01-16-2013 06:00 PM

Carrie,

During chemo (ACTH) I developed severe esophagitis. Post-chemo I continued with chronic heartburn. My onc had placed me on Protonix which worked, but a visit to a naturalpathic doc. lead me to stop the med and use Probiotic powder in the amount of approx. a quarter tsp in a glass of water two to three times a day. That has resolved the issue completely. Now I fill glass bottles (I wash out old Snapple bottles) with water and drop in the powder. I drink from that bottle throughout the day and take one to bed at night. I do avoid foods that exacerbate the condition. Cheap and easy!

carlatte7 01-16-2013 06:01 PM

Heartburn was almost the worst part of chemo for me...prilosec helped a lot, and when it was horrid i took 2x/day. Def. ck with your onco., and good luck!

NEDenise 01-16-2013 09:41 PM

Nexium! The little purple pill!
It's the only thing that gave me relief...and tried a lot of them! The only problem is...it's Rx and I understand it's pretty expensive.
Denise

vlcarr 01-17-2013 06:10 PM

I was on Nexium pre chemo and still take it, probably always will. It is some awesome stuff. My doctor has to justify it once a year with my insurance and that's a pain. It is costly but I'm able to do mail order through my insurance so it's doable.

conomyself 01-18-2013 09:02 PM

I would have heartburn usually a couple days after chemo. I used a little baking soda in water, and that worked well for me.

I hope chemo is going ok for you -- my first round was a little challenging!

Take care,

Rachael