HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bugs and more bugs! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52684)

Ellie F 01-03-2012 07:25 AM

Bugs and more bugs!

Hi all,
Not been posting like usual as have been in hospital for a week with a central line infection.
Started off on the big gun antibiotics as they were really concerned about the severity of the infection systemically.
As part of the plan I was given iv vancomycin and proceeded to go into anaphylactic shock which was very scary.Fortunately the response from the staff couldn't have been better and an hour later I was feeling more 'normal' again.
My friend read me Coolbreeze's post about c diff which really made me take note of everything and everyone looking after me.
Eventually the bugs were identified and after 2 days on the right antibiotics I am now home on oral meds.
Interestingley the bugs are quite unusual strains but are sensitive to common antibiotics.
The microbiologist was certain I had picked them up from the hospital whilst having herceptin.
So after agonising for months the line is out and I am having a power port fitted as soon as all the infection is cleared.
I wanted to share this as though obviously not as serious as what happened to Coolbreeze nevertheless shows you can't be too careful when receiving treatment!
Ellie

NEDenise 01-03-2012 07:33 AM

Re: Bugs and more bugs!

Poor Ellie!
I'm so glad things are starting to look better for you now. What a scary ordeal!
We'd all be smart to heed your good advice about germs during treatment. Thanks for sharing.
Happy, Healthy New Year!
Denise

Vicky 01-03-2012 10:47 AM

Ellie, that is really scary! And such a good reminder to be prudent about hand washing and sanitizing for bugs. So glad to hear you are on the mend and were able to go home after your ordeal. I have had anaphylactic shock as well, and that is extremely scary!

Wishing you well in the New Year!

tricia keegan 01-03-2012 01:23 PM

Ellie I'm sorry to read this but so glad you're on the mend and the Power Port will be great for scans too, thanks for the heads up and feel better soon:)

CoolBreeze 01-03-2012 01:33 PM

I'm glad my post warned somebody about the danger! If you are on vanco you won't get c-dfff - matter of fact, I'm never allowed to take any antibiotic again without concurrent vancomycin. Did you finish your course or did your anaphylasis stop it? C-diff tends to come back.

Anybody can get it when on antibiotics though so if you end up having diarrhea, your ears should perk up and you should call and get a stool test ASAP.

I'm so glad you are better and home! Infection is something we never think about but it's a big problem.

Laurel 01-03-2012 07:50 PM

Ellie,

I am so glad you are on the mend. Now, Girlfriend, this yank recommends putting your feet up and watching a Dr. Who marathon while you recuperate! Cheers!

Laurel