HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Do Supplements Interfere with Chemotherapy? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58568)

bmorr7 07-15-2013 10:04 AM

Do Supplements Interfere with Chemotherapy?

Hi everyone,

Rachel is starting her chemo on July 22 (TCH) and our oncologist has said that taking coenzyme q10 is ok with him as it might help protect her heart from the Herceptin. I was just doing a google search and some other supplements were mentioned as being used during chemotherapy. There were:

1. Biotin (to help protect hair during chemotherapy)
2. Magnesium (to help protect the heart during chemotherapy)
3. Vitamin D (to protect the bones and heart)

I'll ask our oncologist about these but I was wondering what others think of these supplements. We want to protect Rachel but we also don't want to interfere with the chemo doing its job either.

Does anyone know if these interfere with the effectiveness of chemo?

Does anyone have experience with these helping?

Thanks!

Ben

jaykay 07-15-2013 11:24 AM

Re: Do Supplements Interfere with Chemotherapy?

The only supplement my oncologist would approve was Vitamin D (which I've been taking for years anyway).

I took magnesium and prescription potassium when my potassium levels were dangerously low due to some side effects of TCH.

Bottom line - check with your oncologist before taking anything with chemo

Best

Janis

snolan 07-15-2013 02:45 PM

I took the co-enzyme q10, along with multivitiam, calcium, acci berry. Just pass it by your Dr. anything that could help is worth taking.

BonnieR 07-15-2013 03:48 PM

Ben you are wise to be checking on these things. Sometimes a seemingly innocent substance can have unforeseen consequences and be contraindicated Absolutely run it by the oncologist first. My cancer center had a dedicated pharmacy that prepares the infusions etc. and they always were available for questions too
Keep the faith

BonnieR 07-15-2013 09:50 PM

Ben, I think elsewhere you mentioned Milk Thistle. This can mimic estrogen and should be avoided by breast cancer patients
Alpha lipoid acid might interfere with cancer drugs. And so on..
i hope you have the doctors review the list of supplements you are proposing. They are not all harmless
Keep the faith

Redwolf8812 07-16-2013 08:29 AM

The only supplements my oncologist approved were B-6 and L-glutamine for neuropathy. She also gave the milk thistle a no-no.

- Penny

tricia keegan 07-16-2013 11:48 AM

My Onc said no supplements until after my treatments although I did drink a small glass of Aloe vera juice each day and was amazed to learn even grapefruit can interfere with chemo so I agree to run everything by your Onc.