HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Need your input /Dx tests (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29071)

Christine 07-10-2007 10:48 AM

Need your input /Dx tests

To all you women,
We are speaking to a large group of marketing reps about Diagnostic testing..
My question to you is .... how many of you have tried to the "ELISSA' her2 serum test by Bayer., a simple blood test that monitors the ammount of her2 cells in response to treatments and monitors any progression with or w/o chemotherapy.
Thanks for your reply.

Grace 07-10-2007 10:56 AM

Christine,

I've been using it, twice, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone else, as it puts me in fear mode when I do it. My first was elevated (16) right after diagnosis, and my cancer was very small, so I went from being relatively comfortable with my diagnosis to being scared all the time.

I think if I were Stage IV, I would definitely use it, but I wouldn't recommend it for an early breast cancer. And I admit this may just be the coward in me speaking.

hutchibk 07-10-2007 11:49 AM

My doc doesn't use it yet. He doesn't believe that it is "ready for prime time" yet. He wants to keep an eye on it and see how it's accuracy improves over time.

StephN 07-10-2007 12:26 PM

Taken 3 times so far -

- to corroborate NED status with other tumor markers and scans.
I am stage IV, so look forward to the results as this test is supposed to be able to show progression before the scans can pick up small tumors.

My med onc has total faith in this as blood screening far as I understand.

Barbara H. 07-10-2007 12:27 PM

My oncologist will also not use it at this time.
Barbara H.

tousled1 07-10-2007 12:44 PM

My oncologist orders the HER2 serum test for me every 12 weeks. She feels it is a good prognostic tool especially since I'm Stage IIIc.

chrisy 07-10-2007 05:43 PM

my oncs don't use it. Although it is one of the things they are measuring on the clinical trial I'm on with Tykerb/Avastin, so maybe they will get more data to support it's use.

Joe 07-10-2007 07:44 PM

Here is the latest published literature about the serum test:

www.her2support.org/temp/serum.pdf

Note: Steph failed to mention that her medical oncologist is an internationaly recognized cancer researcher.

Regards
Joe

Kim in CA 07-11-2007 10:25 AM

Christine,

I have been using the Her2 Serum test in conjunction with the CA15-3 and CEA tests. I get my tumor markers run every 3 weeks when I get my Herceptin. We usually only run the Her2 Serum test when my markers start creeping upward and need reassurance that I am still NED. So far my Her2 Serum results have always been in the normal range. Being stage IV, I feel this is the best way to stay on top of things.

We still do regular MRI's of my brain, but don't do regular PET or CT scans anymore to avoid excess exposure to rads. If I have a suspicious pain my onc won't hesitate to order the appropriate scans.

Kim

Lee 07-11-2007 12:16 PM

My oncologist uses this test every 4 months or so, when I am in between scans.

Cathya 07-13-2007 12:54 AM

Christine;

I travel to the US to get this test and my onc watches the results....his latest comments confirmed to me that he is following the research on it. After being in the normal range for a year, a few months ago I moved up to 16. I am currently waiting the results from a test I took last week. My onc has me undergoing brain mri, ct's of neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis and bone scan. Nerve racking times but I am grateful for the serum her2 test as an early indicator of potential problems.

Cathy

Shell 07-13-2007 07:06 AM

Christine-

my onc uses it only to humor me when I ask for it. i've had it about 4 or 5 times. when the xeloda and doxil and everything else started failing me, my numbers skyrocketed - I want to have it done again now that I am on abraxane, but let's just say I would be thrilled to see even a 16!!!

Kind regards,

Gina 07-15-2007 10:11 PM

Serum her2 test really works

Hi, Christine,

Thanks for posting this important thread. As you know, I have long been a strong supporter of the value of the serum her-2 test and have used it regularly for many years in combination with the CA 125 and the CA 27/29 along with regular CBC and blood chem panels. I have it drawn just before I take my herceptin infusion, every three weeks along with all the other blood work, as that is when the serum her-2 level is at its peak in my system and that way it helps me compare apples to apples for my research. If you just take it haphazardly, without regard to where you are in your herceptin cycle, the number can vary considerably, but still, anything over, even 12, and moving upwards needs immediate attention, or at least that has been my experience.

Love the new look of the web-site,
Gina

Liz J. 07-16-2007 05:05 PM

Hi Christine,

I asked my onc about it awhile ago and he said "we don't use it".

All the best,

Liz J.

MCS 07-16-2007 10:42 PM

First of all, let me tell you how pretty you look in this picture Chrisine !

When I requested the Bayer Serum Test from my oncologist, he said that because I was ER/PR -, it did not monitor any bc progression well. In other words it was for ER/PR + people. So I am now confused and concerned why I don't get it. Please let me know

thank you

MCS ( maria)

sarah 07-16-2007 11:55 PM

In France I don't get the CA27/29 or this serum test. I would like to print something on it to show my onc so if you can suggest a succinct version, that would be appreciated. And any medical reviews pointing to its success.
My onc is generally quite up to date on things and open to new ideas but of course there are always protocols to follow. Maybe France would be a good place for them to do a trial?
sarah

jones7676 07-16-2007 11:59 PM

My local onc doesn't use it, however I'm going to Chicago for a "consult" the beginning of August and I will ask about it there to see what thier opinion is.

jhandley 07-17-2007 01:07 AM

her2 serum test

Hi Christine
This test is not available in Australia however I had it done while visiting my sister in London in Jan 07; I had been off herceptin for 4-5 weeks by then and my result was 7.6.
I spoke to my onc yesterday about this test and he said they are waiting for more data on its usefulness. I think it is very important for MBC and another way it could be used would be to give some measure to the use of things like olive leaf extract, high dose fish oil and flaxseed oil or flaxseed meal on her 2 serum levels; ie to bring them down. It interests me greatly to read that one flaxseed muffin a day containing 25 g of flaxseed meal can reduce the over expression of her 2 by 70 %.

I am sure that some easy experiments could be done to test the effectiveness of the above using this serum test.
Food for thought so to speak.
Jackie

Shell 07-17-2007 06:17 AM

Maria (MCS)-

The test has nothing to do with ER/PR status as far as I know. It is used if you are her2/neu+++ to monitor the levels in your system. Perhaps your onc hasn't heard of it yet, and just gave you an answer to respond... I learned about the test from this site and had to educate my onc...

Regards,

Grace 07-17-2007 10:38 AM

Flaxseed and HER2

Hi Jackie,

I've been using 25 g of flaxseed in my oatmeal every day now for ten months because of the Canadian study, and although the HER2 serum has come down some (from 16 to 11.5), it took quite a while longer than the Canadian study (which I think lasted a month) and the drop is nothing like 70%. It's about a 25% reduction. Also, I've been on herceptin even longer than I've been using flaxseed so I have no idea if the drop is due to the combination of the two, just the herceptin, or just the flaxseed. And as my oncologist says, the drop may have nothing to do with either.

Cathy,

My oncologist only orders HER2 serum for two patients (me and another because we both asked). He says the HER2 marker of the other patient went up more than nine months ago, and they've done all the scans, etc. and found absolutely nothing. I hope you find you're in the "absolutely nothing" camp.

Good luck.