HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   too much research...im lost please help? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47285)

hezzy_9805 10-19-2010 11:45 AM

too much research...im lost please help?

I'm not too new to this site, but couldn't find my old account information (hezzy)

Well about three months ago I asked for an MRI and saw the brain mets have shaped different size
Aug09- 4cm,1mm,1mm
I recieved 17 rads days and 3 SRS days. Being on steriods, herceptin,zometa,faslodox, and having many other issues I was in a nursing home for awhile. After recovering I started Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Faslodox.
Months ago my last MRI showed
3cm,9mm,3mm
My ONC wasn't sure if it was from swelling due to the radiation treatment or, mass growing. Next Friday I am having another MRI and I should get results.

After talking everything over she mentioned switching my drug over to Xeloda, Herceptin. I asked her if I could take Xeloda,Tykerb and Herceptin and she said we'd discuss more after the MRI results. I've been doing research for days and hours and I'm lost and scared!

dchips1 10-19-2010 01:07 PM

Re: too much research...im lost please help?

I started on tykerb in combo with my herceptin, My onc did not reccomend xeloda for me because neck down I have no mets. I do know that tykerb and xeloda are synergistic (they work together). But xeloda is a chemo drug and herceptin and tykerb are more of what they call biologicals (they tend not to weaken your immune system/blood counts etc) Tykerb with xeloda is what was originally approved together, but combo can be really hard on digestive system.

I am able to tolerate tykerb with just a couple days of the week, doing the bathroom Boggie!

Maybe Lani or some of the others will chime in, or you can even do a search on the site for this combo.

Good luck to you and keep hanging in there!!!!
Prayers and hugs coming your way

Darita

Nancy L 10-19-2010 02:03 PM

Your onc feels a need for a new MRI to make sure you are on the best protocol. I do know that the Herceptin molecule is too large to cross the blood-brain barrier, which protects the brain from most things in the bloodstream. However, preliminary evidence suggests that Tykerb can cross the blood-brain barrier and enter the brain. So you may very well have to go back on Tykerb. It takes a while to get used to Tykerb but the side effects can be managed. There are several posts on this site to help you with that if they happen to you.

I hope everything turns out OK for you. I know you are scared and I wish I could say something to take thr fear away. But having been in that place myself, I know that there is nothing that anyone can say. The best thing to do is get those MRI results as quickly as possible. The unknown is scarier than the known.

hezzy_9805 10-19-2010 02:25 PM

Actually I balance Tykerb great! When taking five pills I take diphen/atrop (control bathroom frequency) the first five min. that I'm awake than the first five minutes after taking tykerb and have no longer had frequent bathroom visits or tummy pain

Jackie07 11-03-2010 11:25 PM

hezzy 9805,

How was the MRI result?