HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Xeloda and Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56097)

pwiswell 09-26-2012 06:19 PM

Xeloda and Tykerb

About two weeks ago, I found that Herceptin was no longer keeping my mets at bay. I had been getting Herceptin weekly for over three years. My oncologist switched me to Xeloda and Tykerb. After taking Xeloda for a week, I started experiencing severe stomach cramps and had to stop taking it. Today, I restarted Tykerb, and I think the plan is to restart Xeloda at a lower dose at the start of the 21 day cycle. Can anyone give me some tips on dealing with the side effects and what they have experienced on these two meds. Thanks.

yanyan 09-27-2012 10:52 AM

Re: Xeloda and Tykerb

Hi! I have been on tykerb and xeloda for almost 6 months now and have tolerated both drugs well except for a few nausea and diahrrea and cracked skin but all managable. Tykerb has to be taken on an empty stomach or 2 hours from your last meal. I take 3 xelodas after breakfast, 3 after dinner and 5 tykerb at bedtime. For cracked skin i used bag balm 2 times a day/ for diahrra i dont take any medication because they don't happen often. But i think you might need to avoid certain food such as grapefruit while on tykerb due to drug reaction. Many others here have used those drugs and will give you more advice. Take care !

Emy 09-28-2012 08:42 PM

I have been on tykerb, herceptin since may...have rash on my chest...and just recently lost more than 50percent of my hair...dermatologist gave me a hydrocortisone foam for my scalp pain....diarrhea is tolerable by managing diet...

Vicki revised 10-03-2012 11:13 PM

Been of and on for a month, 2 attempts. Due to the side effects my dr stopped both twice do I could get control of the intense, constant diarrhea and nausea/vomiting. Also this round I've got the hand/foot stuff on my feet and bleeding sores in my mouth and bloody noses. Oh yeah, the hem aroids from living on toilet.

When I restart I'll be on 3 Tykerb/day and full dose of Xeloda (6 pills) for one week then take week break from Xeloda.

This week has been so bad I told my onc to forget treatment if this is what I have to go thru-now I know what quality of life means and throwing up, shitting fireballs, sores on feet that feel like I'm walking on hot coals, mouth sores, etc, no sleep unless on bathroom floor isn't how I want to live.

This is what we've tried all at the same time. I'm just a druggy.

Nausea::
Compasine since I'm allergic to phenargren
Zofran
Some patches for nausea waiting for PA for insurance
Kytrel injections

Diarhea::
Imodium liquid and gel tabs
Lomotil
A shot the doc gave me that lasts a month for diarhea, very expensive (my ins covered it)

Also::
a half vit c a day to help w/ sores
Mix of bake soda and warm salt water
Udder lotion
Sally Hanson hards as acrylics (great!)
****Bliss spa goves and socks are The BOMB! Get em at
Humidifier to help with being so dry from all these drugs

Also, 2nd time with this combo, my hair and nails have started growing like crazy for first time in 8 mon.

Good luck! This is the pits! Get some depends to have on hand.

Rolepaul 10-04-2012 12:22 PM

Put Henna/lemon juice paste on your feet. Best to make and let set, warm before putting on with foam paint brush. Udder cream and Bag Balm with cloth gloves. Vitamin K cream for the areas these don't work on.

Diet for the nausea. Timing for the dosage is important.

Vicki revised 10-05-2012 06:39 PM

I really, really recommend the Bliss gloves and socks from Ulta.

gdpawel 11-27-2012 09:19 AM

Grapefruit and anti-cancer drugs

If some anti-cancer drugs are taken with grapefruit juice, the potential cost savings could be about 80%, since the drugs interact with CYP3A4. The powerful compounds in the grapefruit called furanocoumarins obliterate the CYP3A4 enzyme in the intestines and liver. The result is that more of the drug gets into the bloodstream. Individuals have different levels of CYP3A4 that breaks down drugs before they even have the chance to get into the bloodstream. Patients with very active CYP3A4 get lower amounts of drugs into their systems than those with low levels of the enzyme. Some patients may have naturally low levels of the CYP3A4 enzyme and thus wouldn't need it. Certain drugs have a hard time reaching optimal blood levels at prescribed doses. Some doctors are interested in intentionally boosting the effects with grapefruit. In addition to Tykerb, Zytiga (abiraterone acetate) is also better absorbed with food, though the label says empty stomach. Cell-based assayists have been able to reverse Zytiga resistance by having patients take it with a fatty meal.

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/25/23/3397.full.pdf