HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Recovery after Oophorectomy (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46047)

Del 07-18-2010 01:19 PM

Recovery after Oophorectomy

I'm scheduled for an oophorectomy this week, and I was wondering what I can expect in terms of recovery. How long before I'm up to chasing after my kids again?

I'm also entering a T-DM1 trial in Toronto. It's comparing T-DM1 with Tykerb/Xeloda. I don't know which arm I am in yet, and treatment likely won't start until Sept. I have been NED since Jan/08, but I've had a reoccurance in the lymph nodes under my left arm. Still clear in my liver, as far as I know, and clear everywhere else. I had a consult with the doctor heading up the trial, and he felt just treating with ooph and AI wouldn't be enough, and I've heard such good things about T-DM1 from everyone here, that I want to jump on this. Still bit nervous about after-effects of the ooph, and still upset that I'm no longer NED...

Ellie F 07-18-2010 01:41 PM

Re: Recovery after Oophorectomy

Hi Del
Have you had a biopsy on the node to assess it's status. From what I understand mets can change their status so it's important to know whether they remain the same as the original in order to get the most effective treatment?

Sorry no info on oophorectomy but sure others will chime in.

The T-DM1 v Tykerb/Xeloda seem to be in large scale phase 3 trials now. Let's hope we soon get some definitive answers about efficacy.

Sure you will be back to NED soon

Ellie

Chelee 07-18-2010 06:29 PM

Del, I had an ooph and it was no problem at all. In and out the same day for surgery. Almost no pain at all & quick recovery. I was up moving around the very next day. By day 3 you will feel great and won't even know you had it done. I am so sorry your not NED anymore...I'm dealing with the same thing right now so my heart goes out to you. Get your ooph out of the way and let TDM1 kick cancers butt. Good luck to you.

Chelee

Del 07-18-2010 06:46 PM

Yes, I did have a biopsy, and they found that it is now highly ER+, 70-80%. My primary cancer in my breast was only <10%, and the mets in my liver were ER-. So things definitely can change!! It is still HER2+. So that is why my original onc. suggested the ooph and AI, but the only way I can continue to get Herceptin here in Canada once the cancer has progressed is to enter a study. So I'm hoping for the T-DM1, that's for sure!

sassy 07-18-2010 08:22 PM

Del,

The ooph was easy. Just like Chelee, surgery in morning, home that afternoon. Took it easy for a few days. Glad I had it done.

Best of luck to you in the trial.

Jackie07 07-18-2010 08:53 PM

Del,

The ovary removal is really a very safe procedure. I had it done along with a hysterectomy and my right 'oo' stitch 'disappeared' after just 2, 3 weeks. My left side is still healing because I have 'left-side weakness' and the blood circulation is just not as good.

I was able to walk (the nurse will encourage you to do that after surgery) 30 minutes just 10 hours after my hysterectomy. I went home within 24 hours. I'm sure the recovery time just for oophorectomy will be much shorter.

tricia keegan 07-19-2010 11:09 AM

I also had an ooph with a very quick recovery, in fact it was the easiest surgery I ever had! :)

Becky 07-19-2010 07:18 PM

I am like the others on the ooph. I will say that mine felt like I did 2000 sit ups but ONLY because the gyn fixed me up from scar tissue left behind from 2 previous C-sections. And still it was an easy thing.

suzan w 07-27-2010 10:53 AM

hope all is going well...my ooph recovery was nothing compared to appendectomy (thru belly button too) the summer before!