HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anyone have mets to the thyroid (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48537)

dhealey 01-25-2011 03:20 PM

Anyone have mets to the thyroid

I am 4 1/2 years out from diagnosis and recently had a thyroid scan ordered by my GP for my hypothyroidism. I have 3 nodules, 1 is a solid mass and 2 have vascularitis, also have 3 enlarged lymph nodes surrounding the thyroid and a pea sized enlarged lymph node in the right supraclavicular area. My onc has scheduled neck, chest, abdomen and pevic ct scans and has scheduled me to see a surgeon. He believes it is follicular thyroid neoplasm. I did some research and came across an article written by a doctor in Ireland who states her2 gene has been found in thyroid cancers. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had mets to the thyroid. Any infor or input would be much appreciated. Thanks, Dhealey

Margerie 01-25-2011 04:57 PM

Re: Anyone have mets to the thyroid

I did not have bc mets to thyroid, but did have a very small papillary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid nodules were seen on my scan to set up for rads. I had thyroidectomy 4 years ago and no other treatment (4mm tumor). Taking thyroid hormone replacement.

1rarebird 01-25-2011 07:01 PM

I did not have bc mets in the multiple nodules found in my thyroid when it was removed 5 months ago. The pathology report said the tissues were begnin. However, my thyroid surgeon was concerned about the my glucose-avid PET scans of the thyroid and the Hurthle cells found in the biopsies of it done a year earlier while I was in chemotherapy. He recommended the thyroid be removed. The gland was hypothyroid and he felt the presence of the Huthle cells, along with my breast cancer, were sufficient enough risk factors that I have my thyroid removed. I did and now am taking levothyroxine.

bird

dhealey 01-26-2011 04:05 PM

Thank you both for your input. My onc has ordered ct scans and a thyroid nuclear scan and then I see a surgoen fore removal of my thyroid.

joletta 01-26-2011 08:41 PM

Dhealy,
Hi so sorry you have a new issue to deal with. I had a few nodules on my thyroid that were found on my cat scan in May after my masectomy surgery. My oncologist told me it was of no urgent nature and after my chemo i had them biopsied. One was found to be a small papillary thyroid cancer. I had a total thyroidectomy done in Nov and am now on synthroid. I need no further treatment or radioactive dye. For me this was not mets of the breast cancer but a total seperate cancer. However most thyroid cancers are contained and 100% curable which was the case with mine. My oncologist also told me breast cancer only spreads to lungs, liver, bones and brain therefore in my opion i dont think this would be mets.
Again i am so sorry to here you are going through another issue. I just want to reassure you that if you need surgery it is an easy one with a quick recovery time.
Joletta