HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   mugga scan (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47381)

joletta 10-26-2010 01:04 PM

mugga scan

Hi everyone,
As everyone here knows mugga scans are necessary in continuing herceptine treatment. I am 35 years young physically fit 5"4" 118 pounds. I excercise regularly (even w/chemo) 2-3 days per week. I used to exercise 5 days per week. My exersice routine is either spinning, bootcamp, jogging or a power class. I have no other known health problems. My first mugga scan before treatment was 68. My second mugga scan after A/C was 57. Today after all chemo is done and before my 3 week dose of herceptine it was 51! I am so nervous i will not be able to continue with herceptine much longer! Is this normal, has this happened to anyone else and they leveled out on herceptine and the scan did not continue to drop. I need to continue on herceptine till aug 2011. I have not exercised since friday..Could stress play a factor into scores..eating??
I know you girls are great for answers so I am really in need of some shared experiences.
Thank-You
Joletta

Delaney 10-26-2010 02:10 PM

Re: mugga scan

Hi Joletta,
I think a mugga scan is the same as an echo scan. I just had one today, was 55%. I had one a while ago which was 45% and herceptin was stopped. I was put on medication to improve it, Ramillo and Bisop. It only improved it by 5% but my oncologist let me go ahead with herceptin then as I had no troublesome symptons like breathlessness or swollen ankles. I worked hard for todays scan, I skipped, walked, I take fish oil daily now. I was hoping to get a higher score than 55% but thats enough to allow me continue with herceptin. Some people on this site recommend taking Co-enzyme Q10, I cannot take it now as I am on chemo. You sound so fit, I think your e/f will improve quickly. Other people will have good advice for you. I wish you well.

Jackie07 10-26-2010 04:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUGA_scan

Several members on the Board had taken different medicine to improve their MUGA or Echo score (they are different types of scans checking on the same heart function) and were able to continue treatment. I had a swollen knee at my 4th round of TCH, but was able to continue for another two months finishing 2 more chemo and then 4 weekly Herceptin before the LVEF dropped more than 10%. My heart problem was most likely caused by the congenital defect in my Mitral Valve.

You can ask your doctor to try the weekly dose if he mentions about stopping your Herceptin.

joletta 10-27-2010 04:08 AM

Hi everyone,
If there are not too many similiar situations can some of you respond who have finished the year of herceptine what your mugga scores remained or changed to throughout treatment.
wih love and thanks
Joletta

DiDi70 10-27-2010 07:49 AM

Hi Joletta,

My MUGA has slowly dropped from 65 in April to 57 in July and 52 at the beginning of October. My Onc. did not express any concern. I have had 10 doses of Herceptin (every 3 weeks.) I do take cod liver oil capsules and I also drink a lot of water, particularly the night before any test or bloodwork and it does help with blood pressure etc. to have a larger volume of blood in your system due to hydration. Can you talk to the Pharmacist at your treatment centre to see if she has any suggestions?

Good luck,

Deirdre

tricia keegan 10-27-2010 03:56 PM

My echo scores slowly dropped too throughout the year of herceptin to a low of 49, I managed to complete the year and had no problems or took any extra supplements although the nurse told me I was only one of four who completed the year.

Elizabethtx 10-31-2010 09:09 AM

HI Joletta,

I am new to all this also and have experienced similiar drop in muga with treatment. I began with a 78, then after A/C dropped to 70 and now 6 months into Herceptin am at 64. I understand from my onco that 50 is the target for continuing treatment. But she did say if it drops significantly they will stop treatment for a short time, boost with meds then try again. So I think you are safe! Hang in there, any drop with Herceptin is reversable.

I have not tried it but other use COQ10 to help with heart function. You should ask about that. Good luck and I'll say a prayer for you!

Joan M 11-01-2010 09:19 PM

Joletta,

I was taken off Herceptin a few years ago when my muga scan dropped 10% but was not below 50. It went from 70 to 61. That is a criterion for discontinuing Herceptin.

After being off the drug for three months, my scan went back up to the mid 60s. Lately, I get echocardiograms which can also show the left ventricle ejection fraction, or LVEF.

I recently asked my oncologist whether I should get a muga occasionally, but she said that echos are now being looked at as better than a muga because they provide additional information about the heart.

Joan