HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hair Dye post chemo (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48875)

msleslie 02-19-2011 06:47 AM

Hair Dye post chemo

Hello Ladies, I have a few hair strands covering my head and looking forward to returning to a blonde color. My Oncologist said it is safe for me to proceed but I'm interested in hearing about your post chemo hair dye experiences. I would like to hear from those who have dyed their hair. Did you encounter any problems? When did you begin dying your hair after treatment?

Sheila 02-19-2011 07:22 AM

Re: Hair Dye post chemo

The one important thing to remember is the texture may have changed...ALOT! I colored my hair after Taxol washed it away...the texture was so different, fluffly like...seriously, the hair remionded me of bird feathers...I was not sad when i lost it again!

Jackie07 02-19-2011 08:12 AM

When my Mother was diagnosed with Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma in 1998, I did some checking around and found that 'black' hair dye had been found to be related to increased cancer rate.

I had only dyed my hair a few times in the late 80's (at the urge of my late Mother-in-law) Since my hair has thinned out so much with age, I've found either a hat or a wig works much better for me.

'lizbeth 02-19-2011 08:45 AM

Heck, I've colored my hair about 20 times since chemo. My husband liked the blond. The biggest problem was the new hair was very delicate. So if you use a box color - well, my hairstylist told me not to leave it on for more than 15 minutes because my new hair was getting fried.

It has been 2 1/2 years post chemo. My hair is still thin & sparse, but improving slightly. I tried to used Nioxin shampoo & conditioner daily. My periods came back. So now I use it twice a week, hair slightly thicker without side effects.

I tried the natural hair colors - but didn't like as well. Jackie - I don't do black,but sometimes medium to dark brown. Hopefully those aren't as bad.

Good luck and stay beautiful!

Jackie07 02-19-2011 09:04 AM

This 2002 article about a controlled study asserts it's safe to use the hair dye:

Eur J Cancer. 2002 Aug;38(12):1647-52.
Use of hair colouring products and breast cancer risk: a case-control study in Connecticut.

Zheng T, Holford TR, Mayne ST, Owens PH, Boyle P, Zhang B, Zhang YW, Zahm SH.
Yale School of Public Health, 60 College Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA. tongzhang.zheng@yale.edu
Abstract

This case-control study was designed to test the hypothesis that the risk of breast cancer varies by type and colour of the hair colouring products used. A total of 608 cases and 609 controls were included in the study. We found no increased risk associated with the overall use of hair dye products or exclusive use of permanent or temporary types of hair dye products. Among those who reported to have exclusively used semi-permanent types of hair colouring products, some of the ORs were elevated. However, none of the ORs related to age at first use, duration of use, total number of applications, and years since first use, was statistically significant. There was also no increased risk of breast cancer associated with exclusive use of dark or light hair colouring products, or use of mixed types or colours of hair dye products. We also found no increased risk of breast cancer associated with hair dye use based on an individual's reason for using a hair colouring product, such as to cover grey or to change natural hair colour. These data suggest that the use of hair colouring products does not have a major impact on the risk of breast cancer.

tricia keegan 02-19-2011 02:22 PM

I did mine as soon as I could, it had grown back curly and very grey, so about six weeks after chemo I coloured it with no problems and was delighted to be back to my usual colour!

Paty 02-19-2011 11:04 PM

Well, I was also worried about the dying when my hair started growing back after chemo. My doctor told me not to worry and that it was safe to do it. I usually do it once a month and I have not had any problem with it ever. Good luck.

3twins 02-20-2011 06:48 PM

I dyed mine 3 months after my last treatment. My onc gave me the ok.

Warning: I did it myself (dark brown) and my hair turned out very brassy. I had to purchase a temporary hair color liquid called "fanci-full" that washes off. I didn't want to dye it again immediately. I'm hoping to go in this week to get it done professionally and hopefully, have better results.

Becky 02-20-2011 07:11 PM

I was much grayer after chemo and as soon as I could, I dyed my hair light natural brown and never looked back. I dyed before cancer and will continue to do so - I know my picture (which is only about 7 months old) shows with a dye job as I am over 50% gray.

Since you are African American, I think you can dye it blond but were you going to do this yourself or at a salon? However, if you always did it yourself, then you know what you are doing too. Many on this board will say that dyeing the hair after chemo is different than before - I say not in my case (and I do the home box).

GO FOR IT - it makes you start feeling like yourself again even though the hair is shorter than you would have ever worn it.

laureen 02-20-2011 08:23 PM

I was excited to see my true hair color after chemo. That lasted about a week. I went blond asap. I think short super blonde hair is so nice and edgy. I had not problems with the dye. I usualky have to frost to get the right color of blonde I like. I just use alot of highlights now.

Cal-Gal 03-02-2011 11:36 PM

About 6 months after chemo--
I use natural hair color-

My hair was similar to pre-chemo hair--but in the last 3 months is falling out--thinning--

I have no idea what is going on--