HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Weed advice (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64580)

SoCalGal 02-26-2016 06:43 PM

Medicinal marijuana advice?

Okay, fine...whatever. I think I'd rather try pot for pain- at least it's natural. I don't want to smoke/vape because of lungs. Here's what I've learned:
1. Tincture w/THC removed is good for pain and good for NOT feeling stoned.
2. "Dr Napo" brand edibles are very good in consistency. Sour patch kids, gummy bears are best. Eat only 1/3 of the bear and wait 2 hours to see effectiveness.
3. There's a reliable app for looking up licensed dispensaries. "WeedFacts" lol. Haven't installed yet. Will put it between "post mates" app (food delivery) and uber app.

Everyone tells me something different. In an ideal world I could be pain free and productive. In pain world I cannot think straight so I might as well use something less side effecty than lyrica - those ladies on lyrica (on tv) don't seem that happy. They are walking dogs in the forest. I live in an urban forest, I have a dog walker. I think I'm going to try pot. PLEASE SHARE INSIGHTS. I can't make a move without your collective wisdom.

Peace.
Xoxoxoxo

Jackie07 02-27-2016 12:52 AM

Re: Weed advice

Has your team considered surgical relief? The data in this retrospective analysis sounds like something worth considering:

World Neurosurg. 2016 Feb 20. pii: S1878-8750(16)00310-7. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2016.02.065. [Epub ahead of print]
Spine surgery in patients with metastatic breast cancer. A retrospective analysis.
Telera S1, Caroli F2, Raus L2, Pompili A2, Carosi MA3, Di Santo M4, Sperduti I5, Carapella CM2, Fabi A4.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Pathologic or iatrogenic symptomatic spinal lesions are common in metastatic breast cancer. Given the longer duration of overall survival provided by modern oncological therapies, a prompt and effective treatment of such lesions may have a significant impact on patient's quality of life, improving pain and preventing deterioration of neurological functions.
METHODS:
A retrospective review was conducted on breast cancer patients operated to the spine between 2005 and 2013. The series include 41 patients and 57 vertebral levels treated (4 cervical, 35 dorsal, 18 lumbar). 28 patients received palliative surgery and 13 excisional surgery, according to their clinical conditions, SINS and Tokuhashi scores, RESULTS: 38 patients out of 41, presented a median survival of 50 months (CI 95% 39-61), still preserving a KPS ≥ 60 and a retained ability to ambulate independently. The median OS after the first spine surgery was also 50 months (CI 35-65), suggesting that in this cohort of patients, a reasonable quality of life was preserved almost to the end of their clinical history. In patient treated with palliative surgery, median survival was 37 months (CI 95% 26-48), in those treated with complex surgery it was 57 months (CI 95% 41-73) (p = 0.03).
CONCLUSIONS:
Major excisional surgery, albeit associated to an increased LOS, allowed in our series, a prolonged survival compared to less aggressive type of surgery. However, percutaneous or "open" BKP techniques have expanded indications for palliative surgery and even patients with lower Tokuhashi scores, may benefit from rapid and sustained pain relief, preservation of neurological function and early mobilization.

jaykay 02-27-2016 07:54 AM

I would try medical marijuana before Lyrica if you can get it quickly. When I had my epidurals for my back (and they didn't really work), the pain doctor said he would try lyrica next if I wanted to. You are lucky it is an option in California.

I don't see any stigma for weed - medical or not. Over 30 years ago, my brother-in-law was undergoing treatment for leukemia. This was before all the good anti-nausea drugs were developed. He smoked pot in the hospital.

Janis

Laurel 02-28-2016 03:40 PM

Flori,

It isn't like "Reefer Maddness" is still the mindset of today! Medical marijuana is very accepted and reportedly works wonders for many, many people. What's wrong with giving it a try?

SoCalGal 02-28-2016 04:55 PM

Laurel - yes - I just don't know what to try. There's a zillion kinds and everyone tells me something different. Was hoping someone here would share details like we do about vitamins and dosing.

I found a brand called tetra labs. They seem to offer controlled amounts of these gel caps. Imma gonna try to buy tomorrow.

Today's been a particularly bad pain day.
I'll share what I find out, and hopefully will find something to help with pain.

sarah 02-29-2016 05:25 AM

It helps with loss of appetite also. Illegal where I am so no chance to get it.

Catherine 02-29-2016 08:31 PM

Unless someone comes forward with some advice, I would find a reputable place to buy weed and go with the trial error method. Hopefully, you can purchase a small amount from a store that can give you some advice and recommendations. You deserve a break from the pain you are experiencing.
Hugs, Catherine

Donna H 03-01-2016 10:15 AM

I have been in a dispensary in Denver. Each type of weed is labeled with the various benefits - ie, this one is good to aid in sleep, this one helps increase appetite, another to ease pain. I was told the edibles are not consistent in levels of thc contained (one cookie might have more or less thc than the next one). I think weed is worth a try. The side effects, even smoking it, aren't as bad as chemo side effects. I doubt you'd be smoking 2 packs of joints a day. It might give you the relief you need.

IrvineFriend 03-02-2016 07:24 AM

I took weed during my last two chemo cycles and it really helped and worked. I had lost over 30 lbs and just could NOT eat at all for several day. My BF would attest to how effective it was because after one hit, I would hit the fridge/ freezer and eat.

I personally prefer the edibles but they take about an hour to kick in. That was fine with me; I was getting some calories and I never got high off them. Just gained my appetite back as well as helped my sleep.

Good Luck!!!!