HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Breast Cancer Newsfeed (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Risk For Breast Cancer Increased By Giving Birth To Large Infants (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55200)

News 07-18-2012 04:06 AM

Risk For Breast Cancer Increased By Giving Birth To Large Infants

Delivering a high-birth-weight infant more than doubles a woman's breast cancer risk, according to research from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. The researchers suggest that having a large infant is associated with a hormonal environment during pregnancy that favors future breast cancer development and progression...

More...

NanaJoni 07-18-2012 08:24 AM

Re: Risk For Breast Cancer Increased By Giving Birth To Large Infants

Yet one more risk factor that gets me - first baby was 8 lbs 13 oz and second was 9 lbs 15 oz.

Becky 07-18-2012 12:32 PM

Of 3 babies - one was a 10 pounder and the other 2 were just under 9 pounds.

Ellie F 07-18-2012 01:07 PM

Really interesting, I wonder if this just applies to hormone receptor positive bc or her 2 as well.
Slightly off the subject but related my onc says he has found that women who have a very large increase in breast size whilst feeding appear to have a greater risk of bc. Certainly true for me as went from 34b to 36gg and struggled to find a suitable bra!
Ellie

karen z 07-18-2012 04:49 PM

My healthy and beautiful baby girl was 11.1 pounds - (can there be any doubt I had a c section?). I was also 43 years old at the time of my daughter's birth (and turned 44 the next month).
This is interesting. I hope others post.

dawny 07-18-2012 08:22 PM

Mmmmm interesting. I had two big ones also, 9lbs 4, and 9lbs, both delivered early and by c-section, and then breastfed for approx 15 months (due to milk allergies)
Dawn

anna4969 07-18-2012 08:59 PM

Karen, me too 11.1 lbs. I thought I was the only one!!! She is a sweet healthy 12 year old and thin!!

I do wonder how er/pr- and her2 might or might not fit into the equation.

karen z 07-19-2012 07:31 AM

Hey Anna,
My daughter is 16 (will be 17 next month) and also healthy, tall (about 5 feet 9.5 inches) and thin- although bigger boned than me or her dad- more like my mom (who was 5 feet 10 inches). When I went to get a sono on my due date I saw the technician's face "drop". Given my age (and fertility issues) I was scared to death- I had already suffered through a fairly traumatic miscarriage. The tech replied "oh, everything is fine...the baby is beautiful....she just looks to be between 11-12 pounds)!! Needless to say, my OB called me at 9:01 the next morning to "discuss" options (or really - lack thereof). I thought I was the only one as well.

anna4969 07-19-2012 08:41 AM

Yes, there was only one option with that size of a baby, that is forsure!!