HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Law suit due to Taxotere permanent hair loss/balding (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64777)

spiritualabundance 04-18-2016 06:31 AM

Law suit due to Taxotere permanent hair loss/balding

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.co...l#.VxTgesj3bCQ

How many here have had this side effect? Hair not growing back.

I took my last treatment on 2/22 and I'm still not seeing new hair growth. I'm still on Herceptin once every 3 weeks.

Please share your hair re growth timeline.
Thank you

Donna H 04-18-2016 09:14 AM

Re: Law suit due to Taxotere permanent hair loss/balding

Anyone who is part of a Taxotere lawsuit isnt allowed (by legal counsel) to discuss this.

snolan 04-18-2016 09:14 AM

All my hair grew back, was about 6 months after treatment, had a hair cut about 1 year after.

spiritualabundance 04-18-2016 09:28 AM

Good to know Donna H.

Anyone who has hair re growth please share your story. SNolan, that's great news. Seems like the Herceprin may be slowing my growth but it probably hasn't been long enough to really tell. Praying for my own patience :)

sarah 04-18-2016 09:49 AM

My hair took many months to grow back(6 months sounds right to me) but when it did, it was thicker and softer but not its real color at first.

MaineRottweilers 04-18-2016 01:25 PM

It took months and months for my hair to grow back. I finished Taxotere (the first time) in September and it was well into April before I had enough length to go without a head cover. It was a year later before I had enough length to get a trim and by 18 months, it was almost shoulder length again. It's a slow process, be patient.

Rejoyce 04-18-2016 08:17 PM

I am 5 years out from treatment and very little of my hair grew back. I have a little bit on the sides and none on the top. I wear hats all the time. Have heard about the lawsuit and am not part of it.

ariana 04-18-2016 09:19 PM

I took my last treatment on 2/22 and I'm still not seeing new hair growth. I'm still on Herceptin once every 3 weeks.

When I was undergoing treatment , my beautician warned me that Hercpetin would retard the growth my hair their till I would get off of it. She was right. I have been through this dance 2 x. I had the best case possible. Tiny lump, successful treatment, with only 2 specks found and nothing in lymph node. Was on hercpetion for a full year, then went on tomoxphen then Arimidex. My cancer came back in 6 months to the lungs after I completed on year on hercpetion and had to take taxotere again and it saved my life. I would question any DOc. who let a patient skip any treatments. No one knows which patient needs to stay on Herception for life, as these pills were to be a line of defense ,, Tamoxofen, Arimidex, Exemestane. Just like Taxotere. When it fails to work, you have a few other levels of choice to go to, but not that many. I am on Herception and Perjeta EVERY 21 DAYS, for how ever LONG it will last. 1 year maybe 3 NO one knows. Then they will try something else, AND MAYBE I WILL GET TO LIVE THE AVERAGE , HOPE FOR 10 YEARS. Many are dying at 3 and 4 years with young children. You may need Taxotere again . You never know.

SoCalGal 04-19-2016 08:36 AM

It was so many years ago, I don't recall, but my hair did grow back. Meantime, I still shed a lot more hair than is normal, and that is from age plus herceptin perjeta and did I mention age?

I am sorry for the slow grow, waiting for hair to come back, to look and feel more normal is NOT EASY. It seems like such a simple thing to want until it's not working. Hopefully yours will come in, and perhaps ask your dr about the many hair growth pills that help men with baldness, they may be able to help kickstart your hair growth. I've never looked in to any info - so might be a dumb idea, forgive me if so.

jaykay 04-19-2016 09:32 AM

I finished Taxotere in March, 2013 and didn't go without a wig until late August. It was very slow growing but I did get it colored before I got it cut. Herceptin will slow the growth, too. It took about 18 months to get my hair back to my normal length.

duga35 04-27-2016 07:37 PM

Before treatment I had a full head of hair, beard, etc. 8 years later I've had very little hair growth back. I still don't have any eyebrows or eye lashes and can't grow a beard. I had a law firm contact me about filing a lawsuit, still don't know how they got my name. But after talking to them I kind of expressed a little interest in it. The next day another lawyer with the firm contacted me and said that since I'm a male they don't know what they can do if anything but would send me the forms to fill out to obtain medical records, etc. after reading everything over I decided against it, especially because of the charges and it looked to me like the only ones that will ever really profit is the ambulance chasers. Also, I've been cancer free thus far for 8 years, so even though I suffered hair loss I feel that Taxotere may have saved my life so why should I sue them? In the packet they also kind of implied that they may sue my oncologist and I certainly don't want that because I feel that I received excellent care from him. Needless to say, I've declined to jump on the lawsuit train. It's not for me. Plus, if people start winning settlements the cost will only be passed on to future patients, thus possibly not being able to afford treatment. Just my 2 cents worth..

ariana 04-28-2016 07:55 AM

duga35 THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST. You certainly speak for me. Cancer is a hard disease to fight. Without Taxotere and Hercpetion along with Perjeta, many of us would not be here. I only saw that spot on TV. maybe 2 times and it was gone, unlike other ads for drugs being sued. I had to use taxotere on 2 different occasions and it worked.

BUT SUE MY DOC. ??? Thats a new one. Since cancer is a life long foe for most of us.
I would be careful about that choice.

thinkpositive 04-28-2016 02:10 PM

Duga35,

I couldn't agree with you more! When I had cancer I wanted it gone. Even if I would have been told that I could have permanent hair loss, I still would have taken taxotere. Lose my hair or lose my life? Pretty easy decision for me.

Take care,
Brenda

Lauriesh 04-28-2016 04:04 PM

I just want to add the dr is not being sued. I clarified that before I joined the lawsuit that my dr wouldn't be included.

ariana 04-29-2016 07:33 AM

Like I said , you never know when you will need this drug again. As I received this
two times a yr and 1/2 apart. On Hercpetion and Perjeta every 21 days till it
no longer works

Lauriesh 04-29-2016 09:04 AM

The lawsuit is not to get taxotere taken off the market, it is still available and will always be. The lawsuit is because it is alleged that the manufacturer had info that it caused permanent hair loss in 6-8 % of individuals that they did not disclose. The fda made them change the warning a few years ago when this was realized.
The lawsuit is alleging that people, if they knew this risk, could have chosen taxol instead, which does not have this risk of permanent hair loss.

spiritualabundance 05-01-2016 10:55 AM

Hey girls. I think I should clarify again that I am completely uninterested in the lawsuit but I was hoping to get more information pertaining to hair growth timeline based on THC treatment. If anyone can share their hair growth story, I am very grateful.

Rejoyce 05-01-2016 03:41 PM

My baldness is permanent. It has been a little over 5 years since my last chemo and nothing has changed. I don't have eyebrows or eye lashes either.
I wear hats and draw my eyebrows on. I tried a wig but it drove me crazy.

Donna H 05-02-2016 12:13 PM

My last chemo was 9/22/14. My hair is maybe 3 inches (I have had it shaped/trimmed 3 times since last chemo). I have 2 bald spots on the top, barely any eyebrows and few lashes.

Juls 05-02-2016 03:02 PM

Hi Spiritual Abundance
Re hair growth.
Had last chemo (doxe) in Oct 13 and hair had started to grow back. Wore wig until March 14. Hair was still very short but quite thick except at forehead (like male pattern baldness). Took ages to fill in at this area. I coloured my hair just before I stopped wearing wig. Hair is now very thick and about 8" at longest. Also grew back curly and with red tones ( I'm naturally dark brown). It was about 2 years before I felt it looked like a "normal" style (to me). I still look in mirror and wonder who's looking back!
Eyebrows still a bit thin - especially at outer edges.
Was on H & P until Dec 15 & now on Herceptin and Xeloda.
Juls