HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Sir-spheres on other lobe/suggestions needed (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62585)

Redwolf8812 02-01-2015 03:59 PM

Sir-spheres on other lobe/suggestions needed

Hi, everyone. Last month, I had Y90 done to my right lobe. Everything went well except for in recovery. I had to lie flat on my back for four hours. I have never had such back pain in my life. It was worse than childbirth. I was in tears by the time it was over. The reason is so that the wound they create when they go through the artery in the groin area (forget what it's called) has a chance to seal and clot, otherwise you risk opening it again, and then the four hours starts all over again.

Anyway, this time around, when I met with the NP to schedule the other lobe, I told her about the pain and she told me to tell the staff on duty for the procedure to either give me sedation or extra pain meds to get me through the four hours, but now I'm thinking, do you think muscle relaxers would be better? All opinions welcome. Thanks!

Prayers for all,
Penny

Carol Ann 02-01-2015 05:22 PM

Re: Sir-spheres on other lobe/suggestions needed

Oh Penny, I am so sorry you had to go through all that pain. :(

I would ask for any and all that would be allowable and could help get me through it. Bring it on! Sedation/meds/you name it. Is there any way you could discuss this with the doc who does the actual procedure?

Surely you are not the first person who's had the procedure and been in pain afterwards. There must be a precedent somewhere. It seems unreal to me that they could make an entry to your artery and then leave you there to "just deal with it" for 4 long hours.

I'm so glad it is working, but there MUST be a way to make it less painful for you next time.

Carol Ann

lkc Gumby 02-03-2015 03:10 PM

Hi Penny. ask for morphine before they start. That should help.

kk1 02-04-2015 12:32 PM

Penny,

Ask them to also put a support under the back of your knees, this will help relieve the pressure on your spine but the groin area will still remain flat as required.

KathyT 02-05-2015 09:17 AM

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this procedure. Do they go in your artery or vein? I work in a Cath lab where we do procedures through the groin(femoral) artery. We have closure devices that we use so the patients can get up in an hour or two....maybe ask if that facility offers closure devices??
Best wishes
Kathy

KDR 02-05-2015 09:22 PM

Oh, Penny, I am so sorry that you have suffered through this. I would ask for Propofol, that's just me... can't get enough of that stuff! Unlikely that you'll get it, but I know your pain. Twenty months after my ablation I am still in chronic pain. I hope it subsides and disappears soon. I haven't been on much, and didn't know you were going for this surgery. It had been suggested for me, but issues with locations of tumors being in right and left made it non-negotiable. Thinking of you.
Karen

Pray 02-06-2015 10:27 AM

Your in my prayers Penny.Your amazing!

Redwolf8812 02-10-2015 10:13 AM

Well, I had the right lobe done yesterday. All went well. I had to lie on my back for only 4 hours in recovery this time because when I explained how bad the pain was to the doctor, he said he's put a "star clip" in my femoral artery which will close the artery up faster, so I only had to be in recovery for 2 hours on my back, which was doable. Back on xeloda since it's "synergistic" with the spheres. Wonder when my next scan will be.

Thanks for all the prayers and kind words and advice.

:-) Penny

Carol Ann 02-10-2015 10:29 AM

I'm so glad it was a bit easier than last time, Penny!

Rest!! Thinking of you always!

Carol Ann