HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Follow Up Chemo (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51067)

Deb33 08-16-2011 10:50 AM

Follow Up Chemo

Ok folks, I need some words of encouragement and know this is just the place to get them.

Got the results back from my remaining diseased breast tissue and am scheduled for 4 treatments of Adriamycin every 2 weeks and Xeloda, 7 days on/7 days off along with my remaining 10 Herceptin treatments.

I have heard HORRIBLE things about Adriamycin and am completely freaked out about starting the protocol - primarily because of the permanent heart damage it can cause.

For those of you who have or are currently on this protocol, can you give me an idea of what to expect? I have already completed 6 rounds of TCH and managed those side affects.

snolan 08-16-2011 11:20 AM

Re: Follow Up Chemo

Deb
Sorry to hear about the need for additional meds. I know that it can be frustrating and scary. I'm sure you will come through with flying colors. The fact that you are young and in good shape your less likely to have the effects on your heart, but I'm sure someone will chime in on that too. Wishing you good thoughts and prayers for the treatments to go fast and easy.
Suzanne

kathyG 08-16-2011 11:54 AM

Dear Deb33,
You are not alone in your fear of starting new protocols. I also am starting a new protocol and have no idea what it will entail. I will keep you in prayer, especially that there will be no heart damage for you.
Please pray that I will have no further neuropathy with mine. Good luck and God Bless. kathyG/Queazy

Gerri 08-16-2011 11:58 AM

Hi Deb,

I went through treatment in '06 and Adriamycin was pretty standard back then. I hope (assume) you have a port; I didn't and my veins were blasted! I got my port in time for Taxol, but the damage had been done. I did very well on it with pre-meds and (unfortunately) steroids for 3 days with each treatment. I didn't start Herceptin until I was done with Adria - I believe the concern was that both drugs can affect your heart function so they weren't given at the same time. You are probably already being monitored closely but you may want to ask if that is still a concern.

Best of luck to you!

Deb33 08-16-2011 01:46 PM

I wasn't given a port but it is on my list of questions for my doc. I survived 6 TCH and an additional 3 Herceptin only via vein but have been told the Adriamycin is especially tough. I have been told that I won't be on the 3 days of steroids like I was with the TCH but will be taking Emend for the nausea. I worked during the last batch - did you work, or feel well enough to work during yours?

Thanks for your feedback.

Gerri 08-16-2011 02:41 PM

Without a port the Adriamycin had to be done as an IV push - very slowly. Maybe I didn't have very good veins because after 3 treatments it was very difficult for the chemo nurse to find one - drawing blood was a challenge too. I insisted on a port for the rest of my treatment and it made things so much easier! I know some of the other members of the board had this same regimen and did okay without a port, everyone is different.

I worked full time the entire time I was on chemo. I took off every other Friday for treatment and was back to work on Monday. Fortunately I had a job where I could sit most of the day. I never did get sick - a little nausea, but I controlled that with Sprite and soda crackers. I was very lucky with how well I did.

It sounds like you have handled treatment so far very well and I am sure you will continue to do so.

Wishing you the best as you go forward. You will do great!

ElaineM 08-16-2011 08:52 PM

Good luck with the new protocol. I hope it works great for you !!!!!!!!!

Sheila 08-17-2011 05:10 AM

Deb
You look amazing ing the photo for all you had gone through....sounds like you have managed well....sorry to hear about the new line of defense being added, but with the new drugs to prevent side effects, I am sure you will do fine. I agree that a port is the easiest with this combo. I believe there is a drug they can give to you IV to protect the heart, like heart guard or something ...you may want to ask. I do know that you cant get Herceptin while getting AC due to heart toxicity, but can resume when the AC is complete.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers

schoolteacher 08-17-2011 01:08 PM

Thinking of you Deb. Let us know what you decide.

Amelia

tricia keegan 08-17-2011 01:41 PM

I also had a job done on my veins by the adriamycin and requested a port by the third treatment so try to get one if you can. I agree too they don't give this with herceptin as both together may be too damaging on the heart, this drug was no picnic but do able and I'm sure you'll be fine. I had overwhelming fatigue though so could'nt work and needed to nap every day.
Good luck and hope any side effects are few!

Mary L 08-17-2011 01:48 PM

Deb,I just wanted to wish you the very best. So sorry you have to go through more chemo but I also had to go through more. I had to take adriamycin and I took Zofran which helped a lot with the nausea. I really didn't have to many side affects with Herceptin. It saved my life so I am so happy that it was there for me when I needed it. Most of my side effects are gone or not any problem now. I hope everythng goes well for you. Mary L

Elizabethtx 08-17-2011 09:07 PM

Hugs and prayers, you can do it! We are with you!

candlegranny 08-17-2011 09:55 PM

i had my adrimiacin first with cytoxin. it was not as bad as the taxotere and herceptin I got the 2d round. ask doc for zofran for nausea. I was told the adrimiacin was very hard on you but i found it far more tolerable than my 2nd protocol. I didnt get the adrimiacin in my port, it went in my vein. nurse said we could not do a drip. but the push instead. my prayers are with you.

kathyG 08-18-2011 11:14 AM

HI folks,
It sounds as though most of you got through the Adriomycin with some tolerable side affects. I'm glad to hear that as I start Adriomycin and Cytoxin in two weeks for 4 treatments. I pray it is easier than the taxotere which I was unable to tolerate. I have to wait for the two weeks because I had the herceptin last week and it has to be out of my system before I can begin the next round of chemo. I am praying for all of you and hope you will pray for me as well. God Bless.
kathyG/Queazy

snolan 08-18-2011 11:49 AM

I would ask about the port, it is very easy to put in, and doesn't hurt when accessed for treatment. Good luck.

Ellie F 08-18-2011 02:19 PM

Hi
I had 4 doses of adriamycin slowly by injection into a vein. I had no problems from this at all. I found adriamycin more tolerable than taxotere except got bad indigestion so took a couple of antacids and this did the trick. My onc would not give me herceptin until I had finished adriamycin as he said the risk was to high but this may have changed with further research.Did not have a steroid but had zofran afterwards which was really effective
Hope this helps
Ellie