HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   no appetite....... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56606)

Sandra Kocher 11-22-2012 11:25 AM

no appetite.......

Breast cancer.....not had my surgery yet....I have trouble with my appetite....any suggestions on keeping my strenght up...noting is appealing to me...going to get a perscription for some a anxiety pills, that should help somewhat..Just trying to get my taste buds to be hungary! Bless you all.....Sandra Kocher

tricia keegan 11-22-2012 05:17 PM

Re: no appetite.......

Sandra I lost a lot of weight before my dx and during chemo had to force myself to eat a small bowl of cereal for breakfast, a mandarin orange for lunch and half a ham sandwich for dinner!!! I know its not much and I didn't even want that but forced it down and it kept me alive and well enough to continue my treatments. I lost a lot of weight but gained it back about a year after my chemo finished, my Onc told me to just eat what I could and felt like during treatment and there would be time enough to eat healthily once I was well again and he was right as I need to lose half a stone right now!!
I also enjoyed some home made soups but little and often is the key I think.

roz123 11-22-2012 09:02 PM

sandra
i had a horrible time with food during FEC - nothing was appealing at all. I would drink those meal replacement drinks and i found that they would help a lot. I would drink one as soon as i got up or else i felt faint. The cancer ctr where i was treated suggested them.
In between i ate whatever i could tolerate - lots of oatmeal (which to this day i can't look at) Tricia is absolutely right...eat whatever appeals to you, you can go back to healthy eating after
I dropped 12 lbs on chemo and have gained it all back

ElaineM 11-22-2012 10:18 PM

Try smaller meals more often. Chemo can change the taste buds, so you might have to experiment a little to see what you can eat. Hang in there.

chekmark 11-23-2012 07:21 AM

I was the same. Couldn't eat a thing. My husband was so worried he wanted me to go into the hospital and get an IV. He made me drink carnation instant breakfast. Loaded with protein and nutrients. If I had a better day I would force myself to eat. The thought of food was horrible. It will get better. The initial shock and fear is just so overwhelming. Hard boiled eggs, yogurt any thing easy that just kind of slides down as gross as that sounds. Good luck and in a year when your appetite comes back and u r feeling pretty good u will wish it hadn't. Ha ha. Mine came back with a vengeance. I started craving things I never even liked before. Still hate sweet potatoes tho. Lol. This to shall pass. Hang in there. We r here for u. Darlene

Sandra Kocher 11-23-2012 11:36 AM

Thank you tricia keegan foe your response...I will give it a try..everything is so new to me....Hugs....Sandra Kocher

Sandra Kocher 11-23-2012 11:38 AM

Thank you roz123...I will try the meal replacement drinks, that should help alot. Hugs to you too..Sandra Kocher

Sandra Kocher 11-23-2012 11:40 AM

ElaineM...boy I sure do love it when everyone trys to help..God Bless you all....Hugs Sandra Kocher

Sandra Kocher 11-23-2012 11:43 AM

chekmark....thank you for your response, it sure does help to know what other women have gone through, and are going through...Bless you..Hugs..Sandra Kocher

Deb33 12-06-2012 06:22 PM

Try acupuncture if you can, it is amazing for fatigue and appetite. It got to the point that my jeans started getting tight because I was eating so much. My stomach would start to growl when he would put in the needles - so weird. I also had a Naturopath that suggested Amino Acid IV's that would keep my nutrition strong but I never needed them.

BonnieR 12-06-2012 11:48 PM

My onc also told me to eat whatever I wanted just to maintain some weight even burgers and milkshakes! But my appetite was poor . Ensure drinks were very helpful. Maybe blended with a banana into a smoothie ice cream. Yogurt. Cheese and crackers. Soups. Small frequent snacks. Important to stay hydrated.
You'll get through it. Keep the faith