HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Running with breast cancer? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62488)

Rosalie 01-09-2015 03:05 PM

Running with breast cancer?

I've always been a runner. After my breast cancer diagnosis, even after having multiple biopsies, I continued running even though my breasts hurt. One of my consultants told me not to run but she couldn't give me a reason why not so I continued. Even after starting chemo, I've managed to go for a couple of (short) runs.

But then yesterday, the guy at my health store told me that running may help spread the cancer since it makes the lymph system work harder, and my cancer is in the lymph nodes. I feel this may be nonsense, but I couldn't help googling. What I did find is that running with breast cancer can cause Lymphoedema. I'm beginning to conclude that I should probably just go for long walks, although I'll really miss running.

Has anyone else run through chemo, metastatic breast cancer, etc? Could this guy at the health shop possibly be right?

Rosalie

Lucy 01-09-2015 06:26 PM

Re: Running with breast cancer?

This is something I'd discuss with my oncologist and see what they said. Having said that, prior to starting chemo I was talking to my oncologist about the limitations chemo may cause and she proceeded to tell me about a patient of hers that continued to run 6 miles every day during treatment. To my way of thinking, if running were an issue that wouldn't be a story she'd tell to other patients, if that makes sense. I think you need to listen to your body too. Not sure I would take the guy at the health store as an authority on the matter but rather than just dismiss what he said, I'd bring it up with the oncologist.

IrvineFriend 01-09-2015 09:21 PM

I ran through chemo/ expansion even if I could only go 5 minutes. After my reconstruction I had to wait 6 weeks before running again. Running keeps me sane and is form of meditation for me. My doctors knew I was running and nobody blinked an eye, other than when I was supposed to be healing. Just follow post-surgical instructions and you should be good to go. I did buy a really, really good running bra that really hugs my foobies closely to my chest.

Good luck!

Nurse4u2day 01-10-2015 11:53 PM

My girlfriend who had cancer was a marathon runner. Prior to her diagnoses she was training to run in the Boston Marathon. During chemo she continued to run in half marathons and her doctors never once told her not to.She also had lymph node involvement.

snolan 01-12-2015 01:29 PM

I mountain bike during my chemo's was just told to watch my heart rate and not to get to many scratches due to my WBC being lower. It helped my stay sane during such a crazy time.

v-ness 02-12-2016 12:39 PM

i would not take any advice from a health food store worker. they say the same thing about massages and my oncologist said it's BS. you are getting a LOT more out of running during cancer than you are by not running out of fear. i exercised all through treatment and got massages for relaxation. i did not have lymph involvement, but your body is going to get amped up over all kinds of things - why not make it something that's good for you and enjoyable?

piesscoot 08-29-2016 06:19 PM

A really good sports bra would be a great help if you really want to run. but make sure you got the go signal of your doctor

IrvineFriend 08-29-2016 08:23 PM

I really can't find any controlled research data that running during chemo will cause harm. I'm so happy to be cancer free after almost 4 years and it was quite advanced. I think running and hiking, snorkeling, etc not only kept me sane but helped continue a positive lifestyle. It's such a personal decision we all make --- risk vs benefit. Yes, if there is an increase in metabolism and speeds up biological function vs what YOU get out of it, then that's for you to decide. It's so hard when so many decisions have to be made, but while you're deciding ... Walking might be the only option. I was strong and could not run during chemo. But immediately after I regained my condition.

Pamelamary 08-29-2016 09:39 PM

Current research is showing the benefits of exercise, including running, during and after treatment. You can safely ignore your health store worker, but I always check with my doctors.
Regards.... Pam