HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Articles of Interest (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   For those interested in a cure (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47237)

Nancy L 10-16-2010 06:34 PM

For those interested in a cure

http://breastcancerbydrruddy.com/201...ew-york-times/

Chelee 10-16-2010 11:53 PM

Re: For those interested in a cure

Interesting! Thanks for sharing this Nancy.

Chelee

Jackie07 10-17-2010 05:32 PM

"...instead of mentioning the $7/month drug, tamoxifen, that reduces breast cancer recurrence 50% in 60% of patients, she [Nancy Brinker of the Komen Foundation]mentioned the $55,000.00 per year drug that increases survival 25% in 15-20% of women. (Someone please see how much money the manufacturer of Herceptin donates annually to Komen Foundation.)"

Oh my goodness! Someone please revoke the license of this Doctor who's either ignorant of breast cancer or purposely trying to mislead.

The $7.00 Tamoxifen is used to treat/prevent breast cancer that is stimulated by the Hormone Estrogen. Herceptin is used to treat breast cancer that expresses Her2 genes. They are two totally different types of breast cancer and require different treatment.

Are heart surgeons supposed to stop doing open-heart surgeries and/or inserting stents just because the heart medicine such as statin is so much cheaper and has been proven to prevent/treat heart disease?

How about go ahead conduct genetic testing on all babies and then forgo immunization/medical care for all those who are going to require expensive treatment in their lifetime?

Someone (perhaps Dr. Slamon?) in the medical field needs to refute the misleading information this person presented in the article. Why is she attacking a non-profit such as Komen whose sole purpose is to save women's lives from the davastating disease?

Jackie07 10-17-2010 05:56 PM

She also tries to push for the research on the virus link to breast cancer. Well, here's a recent research article on that subject:

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010 Aug 24. [Epub ahead of print]
No evidence for an association of human papillomavirus and breast carcinoma.

Silva RG Jr, da Silva BB.
Department of Pathology, Federal University of PiauÃ*, Teresina, Brazil.
Abstract

Breast cancer represents a serious public health problem worldwide, for its high incidence, morbidity, mortality, and its high cost treatment. It is known that breast cancer is a multifactorial disease, possessing various risk factors, among which include hormonal factors, genetic and environmental. The role of viruses in breast carcinogenesis is controversial. This study aims to evaluate the expression of HPV 6, 11, 16, and 18 by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in invasive ductal breast carcinoma. We analyzed 90 women diagnosed with invasive ductal breast carcinoma, of which the extracted DNA was amplified, quantified and tested for DNA subtypes 6, 11, 16, and 18 by PCR. The research carried out in 79 samples of HPV DNA, proved negative. Our study demonstrates no association between the most prevalent types of HPV and breast cancer.

Jackie07 10-17-2010 06:15 PM

OK, found her biographical information. So she's credited (by herself?) for banning BPA? I could not find any publication by her on the subject of BPA after searching the PubMed database. In fact, I can not find any article written by her anywhere, let alone an article in a peer-reviewed journal.

"A prominent breast cancer surgeon for over 35 years..." Excuse me? She did not received her first certificate (PA - Physician Assistant)until 1981. She finished medical school in 1989 and that's when she started her residency.

http://www.zoominfo.com/search#searc...rgetid=profile

Chelee 10-17-2010 09:12 PM

Jackie,
Thanks for the links. I can see how she came up with her 35 yrs...she is counting her time when she first started in medicine as a Unit Clerk in 1972. (So your right...she wasn't a BS for over 35 yrs.) I see she did work at Sloan Kettering in her travels and moved on to CTCA. Currently she is in her own private practice.

>>>Dr. Ruddy began her career in medicine in 1972, working as a unit clerk at the Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, Virginia. Her commitment to helping women with breast cancer began the following year when her own mother was diagnosed with the disease. This life-threatening and life-changing event left a deep impression on Dr. Ruddy; it became the seed that eventually blossomed into a career devoted to helping other women suffering from this disease.<<<

Here is the link where I found the paragraph above that tells her entire history for anyone that's interested.

http://www.breasthealthandhealing.com/learn/drktruddy.html

Chelee

Jackie07 10-17-2010 11:33 PM

Thanks, Chelee.

I must have been tired today. My patience just got thrown out of the window.

So President Obama could calculate his presidency from the time when he was a community organizer; President George W. Bush could count the years of his presidency from the time when he was the president of a baseball club; and President Clinton's years in the White House would include the time when he was the Governor of Arkansas?

I wondered if she made such statement because Koman would not support her research on the 'virus' theory. Did she get confused because of all the hypes about the vaccine trials? Did she understand what those vaccines are about? They are not called vaccines because of anything that's related to a 'virus'!

Jackie07 10-18-2010 12:43 AM

I didn't know anything about this person before reading the link posted on the Board. I have nothing against this 'doctor'. There's just something very 'fishy' about her career path listed on her biography. So I did a search with the AMA Physician's directory (Doctorfinder). She wasn't listed there. So I tried using the non member search and found the following:

The information contained in the AMA DoctorFinder report does NOT meet the primary source equivalency requirement as set forth in the credentialing standards of accreditation organizations such as the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) or the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).

Kathleen Theresa Ruddy , MD (Non-Member)

Primary Specialty (Self Designated)(note):
GENERAL SURGERY

Office Phone:
207-498-2595

* Self Designated means

Self-designated practice specialties/areas of practice (SDPS) listed on the AMA Physician Masterfile have historically related to the record-keeping needs of the American Medical Association and do not imply "recognition" or "endorsement" of any field of medical practice by the Association. The fact that a physician chooses to designate a given specialty/area of practice on our records does not necessarily mean that the physician has been trained or has special competence to practice the SDPS.

<CENTER><INPUT id=button1 onclick=window.close() type=button value=Close name=button1></CENTER>

Jackie07 10-18-2010 01:11 AM

From the website Healthgrade:

Dr. Kathleen Ruddy practices general surgery in Belleville, New Jersey. Dr. Ruddy graduated with an MD 21 years ago.

From Vitals Website regarding her license:

I OBTAINED A NYS LICENSE IN 1994 - 95 IN ORDER TO COMPLETE MY FELLOWSHIP TRAINING AT MEMORIAL SLOGN - KETTERING. ALTHOUGH I DO NOT PRACTICE IN NY AT THIS TIME, I WISH TO MAINTAIN MY LICENSE THERE.

So she's been a licensed physician in New York for just 15, 16 years at the max. The heading on Vitals states:
Kathleen T Ruddy, MD
Surgeon
Female - 17 years experience

Jackie07 10-18-2010 04:16 AM

Finally found a link provided by one of the health care system she's affiliated with. There's a cute picture of her. One can see clearly how many years she's been in practice as a general surgeon.

http://physicians.saintbarnabas.com/...px?physid=3323

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
<TABLE id=Table1 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TH align=left bgColor=#ffffff>Kathleen T Ruddy, MD
</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><!-- Start "Doctors Image" Table --><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle><TABLE id=Table1 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=120 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><!-- Start "Doctors Pictures" Table --><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=120 bgColor=#ffffff height=100><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=120 align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle height=86>
<TABLE id=Table1 height=100 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=120 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><!-- Start "Doctors Pictures" Table --><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=120 bgColor=#ffffff height=100><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=120 align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle height=86>
<TABLE id=Table1 height=100 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>http://physicians.saintbarnabas.com/...sPics/3323.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><!-- End "Doctors Pictures" Table --></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><!-- End "Doctors Pictures" Table --></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><!-- Start "Doctor Info" Table --><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=450 bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE id=DetInfo style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; WIDTH: 450px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 rules=all border=0><TBODY><TR style="FONT-SIZE: xx-small; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" vAlign=top><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Specialty :</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=20></TD><TD>-</TD><TD>Breast Surgery</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20></TD><TD>-</TD><TD>General Surgery</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR style="FONT-SIZE: xx-small; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" vAlign=top><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Affiliation :</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Clara Maass Medical Center</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Clara Maass Medical Center- West Hudson</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR style="FONT-SIZE: xx-small; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" vAlign=top><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Education :</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>-</TD><TD>Medical Education: UMDNJ - New Jersey Medial School; NJ; 1989</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>-</TD><TD>Internship: Saint Barnabas Medical Center; Livingston, NJ; 1990</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>-</TD><TD>Residency: Saint Barnabas Medical Center; Livingston, NJ; 1994</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>-</TD><TD>Fellowship: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; NY; 1995</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR style="FONT-SIZE: xx-small; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" vAlign=top><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Accepted Insurances :</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>AARP Healthcare</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Aetna US Health Care</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>American Postal Workers Union</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Beech Street</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Empire Healthchoice</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>First Health Network</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>First Managed Care Option</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>GHI- Group Health Incorporated</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Guardian Resources Inc.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Healthcare Payers Coalition</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Healthcare Payors Organization</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>HMO Blue - Medicare Blue</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Horizon Managed Care</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Horizon NJ Health</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Horizon PPO</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Horizon Traditional/Indemnity</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Local 464/Maxon</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Local 734</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Local 825 Welfare Fund</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Magellan</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Magnacare/Magnet</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Mail Handlers Benefit Plan</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Medicare</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Metlife</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Multiplan, Inc.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>National Association of Letter Carriers</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>National Provider Network</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>New Jersey Carpenters Health Fund</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>New Jersey Manufacturers</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>New Jersey Plus</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Qualcare</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Saint Barnabas System Health Plan</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>State Farm</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Travelers</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Tricare</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>United American</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>United Payors & United Providers</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>University Health Plan</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Veterans Affairs Administration</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>WellCare Health Plan</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20><TD>-</TD><TD>Wellchoice</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><!-- Start "Doctors Info" Table --><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>
<TABLE id=Table1 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=400 align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=4300 height=86><TABLE id=Table1 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width=400 border=0 height:="HEIGHT:" 88px?><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width=400><TABLE borderColor=#ffffff cellSpacing=2 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>http://physicians.saintbarnabas.com/images/greenr.gif This doctor accepts new patients. At the time of this posting, the accepted insurances information was accurate. However, due to continual changes, please confirm individual physician participation.</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=350><TABLE cellSpacing=2 width=200 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=11></TD><TD width=200></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>You may also call the Saint Barnabas Health Care System at 1-888-SBHS-123 or 1-888-724-7123 to arrange an appointment.</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>» Request an appointment for this Physician </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f4f4f4><TD bgColor=#ffffff></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD height="100%"></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD height="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jackie07 10-18-2010 05:46 AM

Checked the link posted by Nancy at the beginning of the thread. The way the author talked in that article almost makes one believe it's printed on the New York Time. However, it's her own blog. I've also looked up all the links she posted on her website - all those foundations...etc. - there's no substance whatsoever.

I'm honestly amazed at this 'doctor'.

Nancy L 10-20-2010 07:32 PM

I can see that you are very upset about my initial post Jackie. I do strongly believe research should be LASER focused on a CURE and I personally believe any vaccine that shows promise should be funded by someone. I have had several personal letter conversations with Susan G. Komen about this.

I can't believe it has never crossed your mind that a lot of money is made on the miseries of all advanced breast cancer patients---$50 billion a year doesn't include lost productivity, quality of life, etc. If we are spending as a nation $5 billion a year on BC research and haven't made much progress in over 40 years, what does that say.

You mention Dr. Slamon in your posts. He is my doctor and when I see him in December, I am going to ask him about this oncologist and the new vaccine she believes should be funded. I have asked Dr. Slamon about vaccines in the past. He said to me "Nancy, it is not going to hurt you if you decide to enroll in one of these trials. But there is no data to show they work".

So please don't let my post stress you any more---it is not worth it.

AlaskaAngel 10-21-2010 08:09 PM

Diagnosis and treatment are pretty overwhelming, to the point where it is very difficult to consider the pro's and con's of what might be on the horizon. This forum is so valuable for people who have honest opinions to be able to express them openly and share their discussions. I'm glad that includes being open to "thinking outside the box" and including some possibilities that may have merit in content, and also glad to be able to ponder the credentials of the primary proponents as well.

AlaskaAngel

Jackie07 10-21-2010 10:18 PM

Dr. Susan Love spoke about virus...

http://nursinglink.monster.com/news/...-breast-cancer

Jackie07 10-21-2010 10:34 PM

Professor Touey at Cleveland Clinic on the vaccine trial:

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-breast-...,5991875.story

AlaskaAngel 10-22-2010 06:52 AM

The idea of a virus or (viruses) is interesting, since not all women (and most men) do not get breast cancer. Are the ones who do get it, getting it not only because they are exposed to it and someone else might not be, but because those persons happen to be in addition more susceptible to it? Maybe they are especially more susceptible to it around the time of menopause, due to hormonal changes?

A.A.

Nancy L 10-22-2010 11:01 AM

Some interesting posts on the Susan Love Research Foundation blog regarding bc and her comments regarding a virus link.

http://blog.dslrf.org/?p=250

My sister was a medical technologist. She got breast cancer 14 years ago and fought it for 7 years before she died of the disease. She actually went to see Dr. Love. My sister always told me she thought a virus was the cause for at least some bc cases and I do too. That is why I am so excited about vaccine research. I just can't decide which trial to sign up for because many of them say if you have participated in another vaccine trial, you are not eligible for theirs. I would hate to prematurely pick the wrong vaccine for my type of bc.

Jackie07 11-01-2010 09:16 PM

Dr. Tuohy's vaccine targets 'cancer formation' - different from a 'virus' vaccine:

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-05-31/h...y?_s=PM:HEALTH

Jean 11-14-2010 11:58 AM

Must add this
Often times when I have posted on cutting edge information that has been used by top doctors (often times by Dr. Slamon himself)I have been challenged to PROVE it even though I stated my own honest opinion or own experience. hmmmm

Nancy please advise us of what the good Dr. Slamon says about this article and the dr. who wrote it - maybe he knows of her and updated inforamiton on the vaccine?

We all bring value to the table. I do have to agree that this dr. statement about the use of herceptin which is extremely more expensive than Tamoxifen is strange.
One would think she would understand the difference of the two treatments.

We do know that viruses can help to cause some cancers. What is happening is that the virus causes genetic changes in the cells that make them more likely to become cancerious, such as cervical cancer and T cell leukaemia in adults.

I wish a vaccine would be the answer for breast cancer.